Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Which way do you swing?
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of Roadie topics lately even though this being a Mountain Bike Forum. So, no other reason other than being nosey I would be interested to know what you preference is, Mtb, Road, CX or *all?
    *If both, which is your favoured discipline?

I personally would say both with more of a preference towards Road Bikes.

Over to you STW. 😀

Edit to include CX or anything else Bike related. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Started off mountain biking, then cyclo cross, then fell running then road racing.
    I’m a cyclist, basically, but I love my road biking above all else. Mountain biking has become too much about the gear rather than the ride in my opinion, too much bollocks, not enough getting out and doing it.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

mtb – simple

Blower
    Free Member

grew up with road biking,do like it but but…..

mtb it is!

rOcKeTdOg

i’m a cyclist first, all the sub genres are just cycling to me

docrobster
    Free Member

I was %100 roadie till 1994. Then %100 mtb till last year. Now 70/30 in favour of mtb.

drofluf
    Free Member

It’s all just riding bikes

Rochey
    Free Member

Roadie all the way 😆

Blower
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Started off mountain biking, then cyclo cross, then fell running then road racing.
    I’m a cyclist, basically, but I love my road biking above all else. Mountain biking has become too much about the gear rather than the ride in my opinion, too much bollocks, not enough getting out and doing it.

i hear what youre saying,although us lot still get out and ride ;0)

5thElefant
    Free Member

MTB. Riding a bicycle on the road? Why would you do that? Other than joining up trails of course…

crazy-legs

Road, track, MTB and CX, it’s all cycling. Sometimes I do much more of one than another – I’ve had times where I’ve been on the track 4 or 5 days a week, sometimes it’s out on the MTB every evening.

I just ride bikes. 🙂

pedlad

Definitely 50:50 for me. Love the adrenalin buzz of a flowing bit of single track(like skiing without the snow) but have also enjoyed road riding for 20 odd years. Really like the feeling of being in a great rhythm,covering quite substantial distances and how much fitness it gives for the MTb trips

toppers3933
    Free Member

i ride more on the road, but i prefer the mtb. but i dont really care so long as im riding. its all good.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mountain bikes only for me. I can’t stand riding on the road, it’s far too dangerous and thus I’ll never own a road bike. Lycra, skinny tyres, bars that are as wide as a Twix, the very thought strikes fear into my soul.

Unless it has a motor it doesn’t belong on the road.

Rickos
    Free Member

BMX in my yoof then mountain bike since. Never ridden a roadbike. I’d be really disappointed by riding down a hill on tarmac.

yossarian
    Free Member

Just bikes for me. Started off scrambling around on bmx’s in the early eighties so I guess dirt is my routes but why shouldn’t what you do change with time?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was late to biking so any biking for me is fun each in its own way. I have just sold the road bike as it was not being used and cant stand just leaving it hanging in the air as dead money for MTB spares. So on the basis that I now only have MTB’s thats what I do (until I have the time to do LeJog again for my own satisfactiona nd without trying to hassle people for sponsorship money).
    I do however dislike the down the nose look that both some roadies and some MTB’ers have (and they tend to be the all the gear, little idea and gone from the car park with the bling bike in 2hrs) give to people with lesser kit or sheer ignorance to respond to a friendly hello or other such pleasantry.

R.lepecha

Mtb for me. would like a road bike and a cx bike though…
    agree with post above about ignorance. Ive been out on rides on my mtb recently where the bits where im riding the road ive seen a few roadies, The majority say afternoon/morning etc, but some just look at you like your shit on there shoes, had the same last year in dalby from some mountain bikers too. Whats that about really?

jedi

sit in whatever pigeon hole there is but when it comes down to it, just being on 2 wheels fooking rocks whatever you want to call it

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Except on the road. 😯

Nah, I don’t really care what people ride, it’s all good fun, or at least should be. I agree with R.lepecha and Suggsey about the ignorance of some cyclists.

I always say hello to anyone on a bike/horse/on foot when I’m passing them, it’s just manners. You just have to accept that a lot of people are idiots, whether they are in a car, or riding, or walking, whatever.

I was recently spat at by a road cyclist coming the other way down a quiet residential street in Manchester. The mind boggles.

anto164
    Free Member

I prefer MTB riding, but i love getting out on the road bike every now and then.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Riding/racing pushbikes.
    At the moment.
    Road crits.
    Cyclocross racing.
    SS 29er marathons.
    BMX trails (maybe a bit of racing).
    In the near future will be.
    Fat bike bike bivvy’ing.
    Track racing.
    4x.
    Jack o’all trades me……

Goz
    Free Member

Ride off and on road, have raced on and offroad…..just ride for fun now……and work with bikes for my sins…

TheSwede
    Free Member

Cant be arsed to read the OP but both ways as long as you cant tell its a fella until its too late.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Commuting by Hybrid.

Anything else is just daft.

noteeth
    Free Member

All of it.

peterfile
    Free Member

riding my bikes on dirt mostly, not sure what disciplines that falls under.

at the moment i only have 2 bikes, a long travel HT and a DH race bike. but i use them to ride anything that looks remotely ridable.

gave up road riding about 5 or 6 years ago. just didn’t find it relaxing anymore, the escapism that i used to love about it was replaced by anxiety after a couple of fairly serious accidents involving cars.

It’s weird, i’m currently nursing a broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs that I did in a bad crash riding DH on sunday (my first day out on the bikes after being away on business for 7 months, and my first day on my new DH steed), and i’ll have no problems jumping back on the bike in a couple of months once i’m better.

however, when it’s road crashes caused by motorists, i find it more difficult to get back on the bike because it’s not within my control.

not a very logical argument, since my front wheel washing out on sunday wasn’t really within my control (well, if i was going slower it would have been but you get the point), but i now can’t relax the same when i’m on a road bike.

shame, i used to love actually going places.

MrSmith
    Free Member

started off mtb then fixed road commuting, dabbled in a bit of track and finally got a proper road bike.
    i like them all but ride mtb less now but enjoy it more. riding mtb every weekend became a chore and now enjoy mtb more the less times i go.
    ride a fair bit of road as there is no traveling to ride and i can still do something with the rest of my day, mtb takes a lot of the day up.
    being fitter from road riding makes mtb more enjoyable too.
    i’m more selective picking dry/cold mtb time in the winter as i can’t be dealing with mud anymore and would rather go for a quick blast on the fixed even if the weather is crap.

kimbers

road riding is a necessity rather than a joy

saying that i do it on my rigid mtb and and i do enjoy my comute

but its the weekend and my big bike im looking forward too

i just find road riding boring compared to off road

corroded
    Free Member

Love road riding but these days I’m slow, overweight and unfit so it’s mtb all the way. Plus it’s more mentally engaging and less life threatening.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Rode the mtb for the first time this year on Tuesday to work. After riding just the road and cx bikes for a few months it felt dreadful, heavy and slow, so much so that i’m seriously considering getting rid of it.
    As for riding in baggies with a bag on my back, that just feels hot, uncomfortable and unnecessary now.

But to answer the question, i’m a bmxer 🙂 (i just never ride it anymore) 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

Started off with xc. Then got into road. Then got bored of road. Then got into bmx racing. Then got back into road. Then got into dh. Somewhere along the line I got into unicycling.

just being on 2 wheels fooking rocks whatever you want to call it

Disagree, I give you TTing.

What do I prefer? XC in big mountains or road in big mountains.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

‘Fat bike bivvy’ing’

And behold, another niche sub genre of a sub genre was born.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Mtb’er at heart but currently in a road phase thats still going strong after 3 years. Also like exploring cycle paths on my commuter too and slightly wish i’d gone for a CX bike instead of my current one.

I’d like to get into touring as well.

titusrider
    Free Member

Started with MTBing
    moved away from decent mtbing
    started road biking

Road ride more often
    love mtbing 100% more 🙂

lunge

Based on what I have ridden in the last 4 months then I am a “street rider” as all I have ridden is my little bike whilst playing around town. I can confirm there are few things funnier than a 6’4″ 30 year old with very average skills trying to ride street.

I am hoping my real bike will come out again now the weather is looking better if only because I look less of a fool on it.

neninja
    Free Member

Mtb only for me. The road bike has hung untouched and unloved in the garage for ages. Have no real urge to take it out.

_tom_
    Free Member

I ride my road bike more often than my mtb (no good local trails) but I still prefer mtb’ing. Heading into more “DH-only” territory since I don’t ride mtb much and may as well be having the most fun rather than slogging up xc climbs! If I didn’t need to lose weight I probably wouldn’t bother with the road bike either. Bmx came first and I still want to get back into it.

backhander
    Free Member

MTB only.
    CBA dealing with idiot drivers, they scare me enough when I’m in a car!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Commute and mtb. Can’t help but wonder why all the self professed roadies aren’t on roadie world or similar?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Which way do you swing?’ is closed to new replies.