• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Gnnr.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which Waterproof jacket for under £100
  • numbnuts
    Free Member

I need a new waterproof mine now only makes a windproof

Rockape
    Free Member

Hi numbnuts I’ve just bought a Dare 2b Amplitude jacket of their own website and it should have been £60.00 onsale £24.45 incl p+p its breathable and waterproof and packs down into a small ball. I had a montane feather light before that. It was a very good jacket but got stolen in my camelbak when my bike was taken. There was a link on here in the last couple of days to a site doing big discount off montane stuff if you put montane in the search box you might locate the post. Happy hunting.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Dare 2b Amplitude jacket of their own website and it should have been £60.00 onsale £24.45 incl p+p its breathable and waterproof

I got 2 of these from tk max for £12. They aren’t particularly breathable. Okay as a spare jacket but they are pretty unpleasant on the bike. I’d max out your budget and get something bike specific.

mine now only makes a windproof

Have you tried re proofing it?

SimonR

Endura Helium perhaps?

Generally don’t like wearing waterproofs but this one’s light, really quite breathable, good fit and material seems quite robust. Probably errs more on the side of breathability rather than waterproofing which suits me fine – saying that it’s get me pretty dry in wet-all-day-rides.

MSP
    18bikes

I’d second the Helium – a favourite of ours at the shop. It’s a really nice, light fabric – the jacket’s aimed at the road market, but mine’s held up fine to several scuffs and falls. Because it’s so lightweight, the breathability side is excellent

cynic-al
    Free Member

That dare2b one is listed as “water repellent” so I’d expect it’s dependent on DWR only?

Interestingly that Montane is described as “waterproof jacket” and then “water resistant fabric” under the “attributes” – I’d expect the latter is accurate!

I have a TNF £100 hooded walking style jacket (last year’s, £50 on fleabay), waterproof, breathabilty isn’t the best IMO (even in dry cold weather) but I suspect that’s what you get at this end of the market, and even the better breathable fabrics need re-proofing regularly – costly and a hassle. I prefer softshells (N2S was great 🙁 ) for most riding and pull the waterproof out only when it’s proper rain.

jimjam re-proofing only puts a DWR back on – a waterproof jacket as I understand it will have a waterproof membrane and so is waterproof with or without DWR, which only stops wetting out and assists breathing.

What’s the durability like on those ultralightweight jackets.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Bought a Madison Telegraphe at the Bike Show a few weeks back, had a few over the years but been very impressed with this so far and used it every day to commute in, breathable, plenty of useful pockets, pit zips taped seams etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Used an Endura helium throuhg the winter on both road and MTB, doesn’t have much adjustability but as long as you are “Endura sized” it’s a great jacket, fit is described at “athletic” and it is pretty close cut so not really one for the bifters.
    Breathability is good enough to wear it when it’s not raining and has stood up to brushes with undergrowth and trees, not actually crash tested it but it’s tougher than it looks.
    Packs away nice and small, either into it’s own pocket or the dinky little stuffsac.
    No “roadie style” rear pockets but does have a small zipped pocket with an earphone cable port.
    Assymetric zip looks a bit odd but does mean you get no chin rub from the zipper and helps make the front of the jacket lay flat – overall one of the best waterpoofs I’ve tried 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

this one

It doesn’t pack down especially small but it’s will keep you dry and toasty warm.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Big fan of my DHB Sync jacket. Very waterproof and windproof, not the most breathable in the world but still ok. Very, very robust – to the point of only a couple of small nicks in the top layer appearing in a 25 mph crash. Hood is fairly useless on the bike (too big to go under a helmet, too small to go over) but it’s more for off the bike when the jacket is also a great “casual” waterproof.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Trouble with that flyte is that is has long arms and is very narrow round the forearms for if you want to wear something under it – or even those gform pads.

The Venturi has more room but is more money.

Field & Trek have the Montane featherlights on sale.

ollie
    Free Member

What about the Pace 3×3, I’ve had one for a couple of years now and It’s been brilliant.

Gnnr

http://www.sportpursuit.co.uk/montane/special-limited-edition-atomic-stretch-jkt

£79 down from £160, well worth registering with Sports Pursuit for.

Thats my2p worth…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which Waterproof jacket for under £100’ is closed to new replies.