Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Which watch?
  • myheadsashed
    myheadsashed
    Toombsy
    Free Member

save your money – look at the clock on your mobile phone!

CountZero

I’ve seen this argument before, ‘use the clock on your phone’, but that’s hardly practical, is it, unless you’re one of those tragic muppets who goes everywhere with the bloody phone in your hand. What you gonna do, when you’re on your bike and you want a quick idea of how much time you’ve got for the ride you’re on, stop and fumble the phone out of whatever pocket in your jacket, baggies or rucksack, or take a two second glance at the timepiece conveniently placed on your wrist? If someone asked me the time and I had to fish my phone out of my pocket, get it out of sleep mode, they’ll prolly have wandered away bored. It takes one second to look at a watch, unless, of course, it’s an insanely over-complicated footballer’s special, which only tells you the owner is a prat with a taste bypass and too much money. Look at that Bell & Ross, a beautiful example of clarity and simplicity, based on aircraft instrument dials, designed to show the time clearly and accurately at the merest glance. Lovely watches, and one day, perhaps, I might get to own one. You can keep Rolex, Patek Phillipe and all the other swanky show-off watches.

RustySpanner

Why would anyone want to wear a really strong watch strap when riding?

If it gets caught on something, I want my watch strap to break before my wrist does.
    Cheapo Swatch for riding, every time.

Just a thought.

mogrim

Cheapo Swatch for riding, every time

Cheapo watch, not Swatch. Besides, all these metal lumps weigh loads! I’d rather have a Polar plastic-fantastic on my wrist while I’m doing exercise…

For work, though, that Railmaster is rather nice. I really don’t like metal straps!

nicko74

Lots to think about, thanks guys. Think I need to go and find a decent store to check them out in the flesh, as it were…

twunt
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma this birthday. Wanted a Panerai, Oris or Ebel (all do nice chuncky plain watches.

Ended up spending less and got a Mondaine for £120. Got a cheap digital for riding, and get to spend the balance on a new bike.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

i’ve had my Omega for 26 years,still going strong. I’m liking those Seikos,though!
    It’s a Casio G shock,for bike duty.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’m liking those Seikos,though!

Have a look here for some Japanese market only models. Much nicer than the ones they normally import here.

warton
    Free Member

I’m currently saving for this:

clasic look, 800 quid, same money as a tag, better made and you won’t see everyone wearing one…

johnners
    Free Member

Perhaps not expensive enough to mark a real occasion, but I like my Seiko. It’s a good solid wristfull, it is rough on shirt cuffs though!

boblo
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member

That looks like a poor attempt at a Japanese copy of a Roly Submariner

Except it’s finished to a higher standard and is a much more substantial watch.

Those top end Seikos are really something.

Ha! Thanks, that made me smile 😀 Yeah, it’s a well known fact. Seiko vs Rolex with Seiko coming out on top for quality… I have both (high end so a valid comparison) and though I’m quite fond of Seiko, I can’t see it in the same light as the established Swiss brands.

And £4k for a Seiko? Are you mad? I would (and have) happily pay that and more for some of the niche manufacturuers but Seiko? Nah, not for me anymore.

RustySpanner

😉

simonk
    Free Member

I have had 2 nice Seiko’s in the past 20 years, these days i just use a Casio G-Shock Mudman, works great and can take th abuse i give it 🙂

brakeswithface

The only watch you’ll ever need.

l45key
    Free Member

This going to be my next one. Currently have the seamaster, had it for ten years now and has never left my wrist. Great watch!

nicko74

D@mn, meant to ask: my Seiko needed the movement replacing last year, at a total cost roughly equal to the value of the watch. With the more pricey watches, is this also the case?

tinsy
    Free Member

Heuer Monaco is a nice watch, bit uncomfy though on a small wrist, I think the new ones have better faces the old ones(first of the new ones) was plexiglass and scratch up easy.

Rolex Explorer, nice, understated, and a lovely thing to own. And hold its value well.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, it’s a very nice watch, and not too expensive, but then it is personal taste i suppose.

chewkw
    Free Member

This one for me next …

Seiko Sports Military Automatic …

🙂

Keva
    Free Member

the clock on my phone for me.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

This one has ‘glow in the dark hands – for the telling of time at night’

mikertroid
    Free Member

loving the F-91W!!

I’ve got a High-End Seiko (Flightmaster GMT Kinetic). Rarer than hen’s teeth and extremely well made. My very ‘watch-savvy’ panerai/rolex wearing chums love it.BUT- a Rolex gains value. Some seikos do and mine probably will. An omega will lose value, despite the Planet Ocean being one of the best wristwatches out there (aesthetically speaking).

The F-91W? Probably the watch that Carlsberg would make….. 😉

WTF
    Free Member

Would never spend obscene amounts on a watch but would consider buying an “evaluation” one 🙂 from here.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

Another Omega Speed Master fan here. It’s just nice. Especially on me, cause you all know I’m just awesome. Honest.

colnagokid

Got a couple a decent watches Rolex Submariner, 2 Tags, but the Im gutted at the demise of me Seiko F-91W, still going strong on the ORIGINAL battery some 13 years after getting it! The strap sadly gave out. £10 back then £11 now, sheeesh inflation 😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’m just about to order a G shock off eBay. £50 and looks great too. I cant say buying a 2k watch is a waste cos i’ve got a 2k bike and some folk would consider that a waste. But if i won the lottery i’d be happy with a Land Rover. Go figure.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Which watch?’ is closed to new replies.