Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Trail Centre
  • boloclips
    Free Member

H, looking to go to a trail centre in march. south west of country and looking to do long ride with lots of single track and not to many jumps.
    i have never been to a trail centr before so can anyone give some advise on to which one would suit me best.

wrecker
    Free Member

Go to cwmcarn and do a couple of laps or go to afan and ride W2 (the best ride there) or go to brechfa and do red and black. It’s all good.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Afan for me being a local.

I think W2 has most bang for your buck.
    Skyilne is a another 40k + route but to much fire road for my liking.

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/w2/w2.aspx

scottfitz
    Free Member

I think W2 has most bang for your buck.

+1 make sure you do the black option on whites aswell (best bit).

brechfa and do red and black.

+1 Do Blue aswell 😉

south west of country

do you mean UK, Eng, wal, sco?

Can i also add forest of dean in to the mix Ride the Red and the new blue(really good fun)

Go to cwmcarn and do a couple of laps

only one trail there, its very good but unless you are going to ride the DH a couple of time there not enough there for a full day.

boloclips
    Free Member

[do you mean UK, Eng, wal, sco?]

South west England nr Bath

boloclips
    Free Member

Forest of Dean sounds good

wrecker
    Free Member

The blue @ FOD is good but short (with little height gain/loss) and the red is utterly forgettable. Cwmcarn is a better option IMO.

boloclips
    Free Member

Thanks everyone i have decided on Cwmcarn. hope it will be great as i testing my new bike on it. Orange Black Gold!!

scottfitz
    Free Member

The blue @ FOD is good but short (with little height gain/loss) and the red is utterly forgettable. Cwmcarn is a better option IMO.

would agree that cwmcarn red is hard and more tec. maybe not for his first trail center.
    There loads at FOD two blue trail 7 & 9 miles long, 2.6 mile red, skills area.

http://thefod.co.uk/#

heres the info on Cwmcarn if you go there http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Cwmcarn/Cwmcarn.aspx

wrecker
    Free Member

would agree that cwmcarn red is hard and more tec. maybe not for his first trail center.

There’s nothing scary there though so he should be OK I reckon. It’s a fair bit chunkier than FOD though. Perfect for a 5 IMHO. I’d sooner ride FOD on a HT than anything else.

jambalaya
    Free Member

boloclips – you are lucky in that you are so close to the Welsh centres, the extra drive to Brechfa will be worth it (Cwmcarn you can ride on a summers evening its so close for you). If you have the time/budget why not do two centres and find a B&B ? My other suggestion would be, assuming it’s not too busy when you go is to “session” some of the sections, it’s not rocket science but you’ll find how much better you’ll ride a section on the second and third attempt. Of course you loose the “flow” of the whole trail a little but in my experience it’s the way to get the best out of the trail and your time there.

boloclips
    Free Member

Thanks for the advise jambalaya i will be trying to do a weekend away in the summer but i will be doing Cwmcarn for my first go at a trail centre.

scottfitz
    Free Member

There’s nothing scary there though so he should be OK I reckon. It’s a fair bit chunkier than FOD though. Perfect for a 5 IMHO. I’d sooner ride FOD on a HT than anything else.

Agree with that, the blue at FOD is super fast on a HT, and Cwmcarn will be great fun on a 5.

I personally like Afan and Brechfa to Cwncarn, thats just me 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I personally like Afan and Brechfa to Cwncarn

Agree with you on afan, not so much on brechfa.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I like that massive table tops at brechfa :mrgreen:

geologist
    Free Member

Just got back from first outing at FoD.

Verderers was excellent, is it the best blue in the UK? tough call between it and Glentress Blue I reckon.

As above Red was OK, just too short,

I did 2 laps of the blue and red equating to 20 miles total.

Went to Eastridge last week IMO Eastridge is in a different class to FoD. Much much better for the ‘Average/experienced rider’, Not so good for newbies.

I wouldnt go for FoD over Afan et al.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Trail Centre’ is closed to new replies.