Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which sleeping bag?
  • nicko74

Ciao!
    I’ve asked Santa for a sleeping bag for Christmas; something 3/4 season (winter camping in Canada – heated tents, but still…). Ideally not too big when it’s rolled up, fairly comfy, etc.

I’m about 6′, but I have a real thing about my feet getting constricted in sleeping bags, so one with a good footbox(?) is important.

Any suggestions? Ta

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Before anyone else says it – AlpKit.

higthepig
    Free Member

The one I have is made by Ajungilak,I’m just over 6′ and it I fit in it easily, think they do them in differing sizes.

flatfish
    Free Member

Beat me to it Stu. 😆

JamieMc
    Free Member

+1 for Alpkit. Best value for money hands down

nicko74

Do they have decent space for your toes/ ankles? Good quality? And the fill/ weight?

And, while I’m at it, down or synthetic? Pros/ cons?

giantonagiant

I think I’ve answered a similar question before with this answer:

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/SleepingBags

I’m 6ft 7 and size 13 shoe and I can safely say these bags in Long are the biggest I’ve ever kipped in.

I have a down bag and a synthetic bag. The down (Lost Ranger 15) is too warm for all but proper Winter conditions in the UK, but might be a good match for what you’re after.

Coupled with a thick pad (Neoair in Summer, Prolite in Winter) they are incredibly comfy to sleep in, really wide, long and massive footbox.

I got both mine in the US, but there are a few dealers now in the UK, George Fisher in Keswick being one and Webtogs if you want to go online.

I’m sure you know the down / synthetic pros and cons, but for me, down wins if you know you’re in no danger of getting it wet and that you will be able to air the bag when you’re not sleeping in it (if not all that condensation that your warm body has put into it all night, will (in a cold tent) stay there and the next night stop your down from ‘lofting’ (fluffing up and trapping warm air!).

Good luck, Canada in the Winter sounds great!

EDIT: OK so you don’t know the pro and cons!!

Broadly speaking:

Down = lighter, more expensive, takes a wee bit more looking after, useless if wet / damp, longer lifetime and often warmer (if dry and looked after!).

Synthetic = heavier, cheaper, will stay warm even if wet / damp.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity – when you say camping in winter in Canada but it is heated what exactly are you doing? Are you expected to carry you’re kit (i.e some form of back packing) or is it camping from a car?

Camping in winter in Canada can be mighty chilly depending on where you’re going (and when). Last year I was on the Wapta Glacier (Canadian rockies) for New Year… the overnight low outside was -35C; the temperature in the Bow Hut sleeping area (an Alpine hut) was only -15C and the kitchen area was +5C with every fire possible lit….

Other companies to consider – PHD, RAB or Mountain Equipment.

Have the company (if you’re going with a company) given you an actual temperature range to work with?

nicko74

So it’s Algonquin in about February; outside it’ll be around -15 to -30, but it’s apparently a system of ‘heated wall’ tents on a wooden base off the snow. The trip organising company says variously 0C and -20C rated sleeping bags, which gives quite a range to work with!

And Wapta sounds awesome!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I realise I’m not being helpful in providing precise recommendations but the next thing to consider is how much you plan on spending… Some of these bags won’t be cheap… I have a Mountain Equipment Snowline and I’ve just seen the R.R.P is 390GBP (brought mine a few years ago). But what you’re paying for there is lighweight; water resistance, packability etc. None of which matter if you’re camping from a car so the same companues Starlight IV synthetic (rated to -12C) costs 120GBP..

RichT

Check the classifieds for the guy sellling the mountain hardwear kit and give him an email. He’s selling a load of kit including sleeping bags. I got a down bag from him a few months ago in the long size (also 6 foot) and it’s great. He might have something similar.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which sleeping bag?’ is closed to new replies.