Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which road bike? … Giant Defy Composite 1 or 2
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Ive narrowed my choice of road bike to either a Giant Defy Composite 1 or 2, 2012. The 1 has Ultegra and Giant P-sl1 wheels, the 2 has SRAM Apex and Giant wheels that are about 100g heavier overall.

I really like Srams shifting, and Apex is about 200g lighter as a groupset than Ultegra.

But, I’d probably want to upgrade the wheels, on the 2.

The price difference is about £300…

Any help chaps?

Ricks

iainc

I have the 1 and love it – wouldn’t upgrade a thing. I’m not a SRAM fan tho 😀

rickon
    Free Member

How do you find the wheels Iain? Zippy? Sluggish? In terms of maintenance, any wobbles, loose nipples, bearings dry or wobbly?

iainc

Wheels are pretty good, fast, tight. But…..my first rear wheel failed 2 months and 300 miles old halfway round etape caledonia last year – a spoke pulled out the rim in random fashion, no mashing, potholes, nowt. New wheel on warranty and great since. The wheelset gets good reviews, I reckon I had a badly built one.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If you prefer SRAM and this is the cheaper one, then doesn’t the £300 price difference buy some fairly decent wheels?? Esp. if you add in the sale of the old wheels?

rickon
    Free Member

Logic indeed 🙂

TiRed

Get the 1. You’ll appreciate the wheels longer than SRAM shifting. Those wheels are lighter than Ksyrium Elites, to put things in perspective (sub 1400g and DT built).

Or haggle on the 2, sell the wheels and spend an extra £300 on said Ksyriums.

Top level Giant wheels are highly thought of.

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re dead set on a Giant, and don’t mind the fact that the Defy has quite a tall headtube, then definitely get the 1 and not the 2. Regarding size, you’ll almost certainly want the M/L size, but with a 185mm head tube it is quite an upright position.

Anyway, the Ultegra is night and day better in use than the SRAM Apex, and secondly the wheels… The hubs on the cheaper bike are cheapo Formula’s rebadged, and are the same as was on my old Defy. The freehub was on its way out in less than 1000 miles, and the build quality was not very good! The higher end Giant wheelsets are pretty well thought of, but the cheaper stuff lets the side down.

snakebite
    Free Member

I have a Defy 2 Advanced composite, full Ultegra and the PS1 wheels, cant fault it in anyway! Medium 2000 clean miles and for sale, I want the new Di2 VERSION OF THE TCR!

rickon
    Free Member

To confuse matters further, my local bike shop offered me a TCR Advanced 1 for £1800. I nearly fell over when he said the price.

snakebite
    Free Member

A lot more stretched out than a Defy. feels faster!

snakebite
    Free Member

iainc

I tested the defy and the TCR. For my ageing body the defy is a lot more comfy. Advanced carbon is supposedly nicer feel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which road bike? … Giant Defy Composite 1 or 2’ is closed to new replies.