Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • which rim? (smashed wheel content)
  • nwill1
    Free Member

This happened to ky rim today http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7572644/

Need a new rim…..strong…..not too heavey…..quite cheep.

The rim in the photo was a mavic en321 solid for 2 years until todays impact!

sambob
    Free Member

How cheap is quite cheap? Stans Crest/Flow depending on how heavy you are.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Flow is strong, Crest isn’t likely to cut it based on what kind of abuse is being dished (get it?) out to his wheels. Flow is stupidly expensive though (well for a alloy rim anyway).

jedi

same rim. 2yrs is good!

bland

hanging up on a log will do that to most rims, of if not that bad it will still be bad enough to still need replacing

sambob
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I didn’t look at the photo. Whatever you did to that, crest wont be up to it 😯 Maybe Mavic EX721/729?

RustyMac

If the EN321 lasted 2 years you won’t go too far wrong getting the same again. If you want to save a little weight for an extra 7 or 8 quid you can get the EN521 (£33 @CRC).

Oh, if you plan on building the wheel yourself then check out rose bikes for spokes.

nwill1
    Free Member

Was wondering that….I guess hanging up on a log with a 15 ft gap and a decent drop would kill most rims I think the Mavic was £35 so trying to keep it about the same unless a little more would give a lot more.

I know this is lame, but I’m usually quite smooth…..I’d done that drop loads & loads of times!

kamina
    Free Member

Flows are weaker then 321’s IMO. They do make a nicer tire profile, but if you want something that will dent harder or take more punishment then I’d stick to Mavic (721’s would be stronger then 321’s):

nwill1
    Free Member

Yeah LBS backed up exactly as Kamina said…..decision is between EN321, 521 or EX721.721 stronger but 590g compared to 521 at 540.

Does 50g on the rim make any real world difference? (100g on 2 cause which ever I go with I’ll match up the front soon)

emanuel
    Free Member

823,sun mx something.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Doing that on Ski is a pretty awesome way to kill it tbh. I’d go for a Stans Flow

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve been told by a few stand aren’t as strong as 321s and at twice the price I don’t think its worth it.

float
    Free Member

Does 50g on the rim make any real world difference?

no

RustyMac

I noticed quite a difference when i changed my rims from old D521 to xm321’s think there was about 60-70g per wheel. The rolling of the wheels seemed better on the flat and uphill.

I was going to say have a read of the reviews on CRC but as the graphics have changed for the rim they have removed the old reviews. There was people that had used the 521’s out in whistler and in the alps for multiple seasons with no real trouble. The EX721 is more of a downhill rim so if you are putting it on a tril bike you may feel it a bit much.

nwill1
    Free Member

Yeah I think its a bit heavy duty especially for 4x and trail ridding, like I said no issue with 321 up until stupid case into log.

kamina
    Free Member

It’s a bit heavy, but if you kill rims the peace of mind you receive from having something bombproof might be more valuable then a small weight saving. I did not notice a difference while riding going from Industry 9 with Flow to Hadley with 5.1’s despite the weight going up about 150g, however I did notice a small difference while carrying the bike (not a problem).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘which rim? (smashed wheel content)’ is closed to new replies.