Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which petrol hedge trimmer ???
  • qwerty
    Free Member

We have a lot of hedgerow that requires a few cuts a year to keep it in order. My Bosch battery hedge trimmer is now dead. Is a bottom of the range Stihl HS45/60 at just over £200 gonna be any better than a Ryobi at £170 from Screwfix?

Any others to consider?

Ta

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve got my Dad’s old Stihl which he bought maybe 25 years ago. Not sure which model it is but its pretty big, the ‘blade’ must be 50 – 60cm long. its the kind of thing the council use. Its ace, starts no problem and makes cutting all our hawthorn hedges really easy – it will easily cut through branches about 2-3cm thick too. As far as I know its only ever need a new fuel pipe (the tube between the petrol tank and engine was leaking a bit).

So if you have loads of hedges I’d say get a decent one it’ll make things easier and last for years

geoffj

The Stihl will be a much better investment than the Ryobi.
    Another decent option is an Echo – http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/review/product/list/id/401/category/1311/

Maybe slightly over budget, but very well regarded.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stihl hs45 long blade here , used it commercially for 5 years before it was absorbed into my home garden equipment.

Its outlasted my neighbours ryobi she bought to save borrowing my stihl….. – and then some – it rattled its self to bits pretty much.

the ryobi is also a high HAVS risk – it is not a smooth machine.

if you have a tall or long hedge and not tiny wee box hedging then i suggest you look at a pole trimmer with long blade , much much kinder on your elbows and joints + the balance is much better – not to mention the job gets done heaps quicker – the reason the HS45 ended up in my garden tools instead of the work van – we all progressed to the pole cutters.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmmm, pole cutter. That probably makes sense, but I’m guessing the cost goes up. Any advice on one of those around £200?

qwerty
    Free Member

Fek, the price take vault with a pole!

A pole would be quick, but the standard trimmer would enable more precise cuts round things like our compost bins.

Found the HS60 @ £194 which is a good price, may go for that unless anyone can suggest a pole.

d45yth
    Free Member

You won’t get a half-decent pole trimmer for £200. I got a good deal on a Makita but it was 500 odd.
    I can recommend the Stihl normal trimmers though. Mine’s only ever needed basic maintenance.

geoffj

Found the HS60 @ £194 which is a good price, may go for that unless anyone can suggest a pole.

Check they’ll actually sell it to you. Stihl have had a Trek-esque policy on online sales although they may have eased it now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which petrol hedge trimmer ???’ is closed to new replies.