Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pass'Portes du Soleil – first timer any hints tips or advice?
  • dc1979
    Free Member

Evening all.

As the title suggests I’m doing the PPDS ride in June and was wondering if anyone has done it before? Interested to hear from anyone with any advice on anything to do with it.

Cheers
    Damien

bobbyspangles

just enjoy the ride, its not a race.
    Great way to experience the trails and eat/drink your way around a mountain range.

batfink
    Free Member

There is about a gajillion threads on here about it:

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

edit: sorry for the crappy link copy/pasting, but you get the idea

jambalaya
    Free Member

@weeksy did a write up of his experiences, have a search of his posting history. There are always threads on it, bike choice and prep etc.

I’ve done it twice and I like it very much, it’s a grand day out in the mountains in the company of thousands of like minded souls. It’s great as part of a riding holiday, the event itself isn’t a race, a lot is on double track / gravel roads but there is some decent single track but understand that’s not what it’s about. A good AM type bike is what you need as there is a decent among of pedalling. Get started early as then you’ll have time to savour it a bit more, enjoy a few food pit stops and allow for any mechanicals / punctures.

So when are you travelling out ? As I said its great to do a few days riding before/after. Where are you staying and starting from ?

weeksy

Damien,

There’s not a lot to know in all honesty, it’s a trailcentre sort of XC day.. but with lifts and in the Alps. The things that may catch you out are things like tyre choice, you really DO want something strong and sturdy. Fatigue, it’s a long long day in the saddle. Hydration.. don’t forget.

One very important thing is to remmeber, it’s just a ride… don’t get all head down and super focused… it’s only a day out… enjoy the views, enjoy the feasting, the beers and the atmosphere, don’t get sucked into thinking it’s an XC race… you’ll lose the enjoyment factor.

We’re hiring bikes this time, simply because of wear and tear, parts, tyres, etc, make it about the same price to hire as it is to fly your own bike over.

dc1979
    Free Member

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Will check out the other threads. Trip is being organised by a mate for a weeks riding in Morzine with the PPDS ride in the middle. I came to the party late and it’s my first time riding in the alps so wasn’t sure what to expect.

By the sounds of it I need to treat it as a social all day mountain ride and pay attention to my prep.

I ride a spicy running a 1×10 (32) so hopefully it’s up to the job. Tyre wise I was going to use my Schwalbe Mary /Dampf combo?

Looking forward to it.

Cheers
    Damien

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you’ve got a few days riding ahead of the event you should be comfortably in the groove, just take it sensibly and don’t break yourself innthe first day or two. In all likelihood the trails you will ride in the first day or two will be more challenging than most of the PPdS. Spicy will be good, make sure forks have had a service and brake pads are good and you have some spares. Heavy duty tubes, maybe some stronger heavier tyres.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pass'Portes du Soleil – first timer any hints tips or advice?’ is closed to new replies.