• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by beej.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which mobile network – Vodaphone or T-mobile
  • markyd

I'm about to order a new phone (HTC HD2, like the iPhone) and it is only available on T-mobile or Voda phone. Unlimited mobile internet is a must. I've been with Orange since day 1 so have no experiance of either, which would STW recommend?

Offroading
    Free Member

Check signal cover if you can. I went with T-mobile and regret it signal coverage in my area is terrible.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'm on t-mobile and i travel a lot, coverage is truly awful in rural areas

Offroading
    Free Member

Yeah that's what i find but even in the city (Edinburgh) there appears to be a load of dead zones, at least around the places i go…

At my house on the outskirts of town signals just come and go.

Oddly though at the house in France (in the middle of absolutely no-where) i get 5 bars….!

stuartm555
    Free Member

i usually find vodafone coverage better than t-mobile. not sure if the merger with orange will improve t-mobile though.

it's also worth checking how unlimited the data packages are. t-mobile offer 3Gb but i've got a feeling vodafone is just 500Mb. i could be wrong there so definitely check that.

HD2 does look nice but i just couldn't handle another windows mobile phone. memory-map will be amazing on that screen though!

Lanesra
    Free Member

Vodafone has far and away the best coverage but, shit price plans

stumpyjon

Avoid T-Mobile, Vodafone coverage is definitely better. It was more common for me not to have reception when I was with T-Mobile and their coverage maps are utter fiction.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

T mobile- cheaap but crap coverage..

Vodafone – good but expensive..

Don't forget O2 and Voda are in the process of merging their networks..

Unfortunatly T-mobile chose to pair up with H3G…

slackman99
    Free Member

Why don't you stick with Orange and go for a HTC Hero. The HD2 is a Windows based mobile, so is liable to crash just like a Windows based computer.

The Hero is similar to the iPhone, but runs Android so you can get free apps etc.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Vodafone for coverage, especially if you are in, or every visit highland Scotland

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've found t-mobile coverage is great for me everywhere except in Derbyshire.

I now live in Derbyshire. Bugger.

Joe

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Teetosugars – o2 and Voda are not in the process of merging their networks – they have just agreed to share some of basic infrastructure (power, aircon etc) at the locations where both networks have transmitters.

T-Mobile and Three have nearly merged their 3G networks but T-mobile's 2G network falls outside of the network share – Three already had the biggest 3G network in the UK.

joemarshall
    Free Member

T-Mobile and Three have nearly merged their 3G networks but T-mobile's 2G network falls outside of the network share – Three already had the biggest 3G network in the UK.

Any ideas when this might go live? As that'd save me switching providers (we have a good 3g signal on 3, but no signal at all on t-mobile here, except on the top floor or in the garden)

Joe

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Farmer_John – Member
    Teetosugars – o2 and Voda are not in the process of merging their networks – they have just agreed to share some of basic infrastructure (power, aircon etc) at the locations where both networks have transmitters.

Er, no, not exactly mate, they are sharing a lot more than that..
    Or I guess, the last 6 months of try to sort out the legal side of this are going down the pan.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Teetosugars – from the original Telefonica Press Release :

"Principles of network sharing: In the UK and Ireland, the elements of the network to be shared include: masts, antennas, sites, cabinets and power supply. The network electronics Nodes B (3G), BTS (2G) and the radio network controllers which are linked to the core network are to remain independent. In Germany and Spain, masts and cabinets are shared, along with power supply."

giant_scum
    Free Member

I would listen to what Teeto says because he works for either Voda or O2!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've gone from T-mobile to O2 as the coverage was a bit poo on T-mobile, good price plans though 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Farmer_John – Member
    Teetosugars – from the original Telefonica Press Release :
    "Principles of network sharing: In the UK and Ireland, the elements of the network to be shared include: masts, antennas, sites, cabinets and power supply….

Granted the rbss are to remain independant- they are just gonna diplex the antennas, thus splitting the Frequencies, enabling both to utilise 2 & 3g in the same antenna.

Oh, and giant_scum Is correct….

Saccades
    Free Member

didn't orange and T-mobil just merge?

beej

Orange and T-Mo has announced plans to merge. Due diligence, regulatory approval etc will probably take a year. I doubt there will be much in the way of publicly visible change until several months after that (and I don't count dual branding as visible change).

As to the original question – Vodafone for coverage, have a look online for the best deals as they often have web-only offers. Not as expensive as they used to be.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which mobile network – Vodaphone or T-mobile’ is closed to new replies.