Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which middle chainring?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so it seems that SLX or XT middle rings with the composite middle and steel teeth aren’t in stock anywhere?

So what else is there that will last, other than a full steel ring?

Are Middleburn hardcoat any good or is it just hype?

MikeAyles
    Free Member

Unless it’s a full on race rig, i’d just stick with deore steel, £12 on wiggle.

Edit: out of stock.. damn. CRC?

Edit #2: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5699

IHN

What he said.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its a 25lb full sus, would just feel wrong putting a full steel ring on it….

More money than sense maybe??…

chakaping
    Free Member

Deore steel ring here too, got one from Woolly Hat Shop on ebay a fortnight ago.

Only a matter of a few grams difference – and I’m usually a bit of a weight weenie myself.

z1ppy

Stop being a bike snob nowt wrong with the deore, though I didn’t reckon they lasted that long – much better than the std ali 760 rings though – not tried the composite ones.
    Otherwise buy a middleburn slick-shift hard-cote (I reckon their worth the cash – and the 3 ring set on CRC works out as a resonable deal) or the Blackspire (super?) Pro got a good review from Snaps on here.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

i doubt you will notice a weight difference, its only a few grammes between deore and xtr inner and middle rings. I was very suprised when I weighed them all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I recently tried a set of Middleburn slickshift hardcoat rings and had terrible chainsuck issues with them (yes they were set up properly and yes, the chain/cassette were new; no, there were no stiff links, burns or bends on the rings or in the chain)

I’m now on the lookout for a new ring set and considering either titanium ones from Posh Bike (really not very expensive) TA or Blackspire/RaceFace.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its not being a snob zippy, but if you save 25g on ten components then thats half a pound!? And if I go the other way…..I won’t get anywhere near making my mtb lighter than my road bike 😉

I’ll have a look at Middleburn or Blackspire, cheers… or maybe I will have that Deore steel ring after all…

Jamie
    Free Member

Also went to Deore for a middle ring on my XT chainset. Bought 2 from wiggle as they were only £9 last month. Bargain.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what if you’re running a 5 bolt CD chainset? What middlering then?

Onzadog
    Free Member

have I got the only 5 arm chainset left in existance then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TA chainrings. I have used them and thought they actually lasted better tha deore steel – but at a much higher price. Available 5 bolt as well

coopersport1
    Free Member

Middleburn form this camp.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always heard good things about middleburn but I recently tried slickshift hardcoat rings and had chainsuck for about 1 in 5 shifts!

DaveGr
    Free Member

I tried Middleburn hard coat slick shift last year and got loads of chain suck (especially at HTN but no surprise there). Changed lube (fenwicks instead of Purple Extreme) on the new bike which has XT rings on and only had it on one lap at Bristol. Thought it was the lube but maybe it was Middleburn??

Anyway, latest XT have done over 100 hours of hard riding this year and still going strong so happy with Shimano for a change.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting to hear it wasn’t just me! I got worse chainsuck with brand new stuff than I did with the old blackspire it was replacing.

easygirl

i had chainsuck with middleburn rings, was not impressed, i tend to stay with shimano now, cheap and work !

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i'm also looking for a new middle ring, anyone tried the superstar rings? or is it still taboo to mention superstar on STW? 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Also suffer with huge chainsuck from my middleburns. Looking to replace them asap.

andycs

I too have sufferd chainsuck with Middleburn, had new chain, chain rings and cassette all together. Howevever it seems to have gone away and shifting is superb now.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which middle chainring?’ is closed to new replies.