Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which laptop for £900
  • Smee
    Free Member

Is a Macbook Pro the best I'll get for that cash?

mboy
    Free Member

Depends what you want it for…

It probably hasn't got the fastest processor, best Graphics, or the most RAM, but for £900 you're getting the best OS on a rather nice piece of equipment… So in that respect, yes!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I'm suffering a similar dilemma. Looking at the macbook pro too, which had become a done deal, but now been thrown out by the imac too. Yes i know its not a laptop, but gives a whole lot more for the money.

Does anyone have one and regret having moved away from a laptop?

Smee
    Free Member

I already have an Imac – one of the G5 ones and it is still a great machine at 4yrs old.

Am I right in thinking you can set the intel processor macs to do dual boot and run windoze too?

tomzo
    Free Member

if you want the macbook pro, chances are they'll be updating it very soon…around january? I've got a curent one and it is fantastic though. Good time to buy a macbook or imac though!

And yes, dual booting is pretty easy tbh.

mboy
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking you can set the intel processor macs to do dual boot and run windoze too?

Yup, or you can run VMWare/Parallels and run Windoze (or Linux, or any OS really!) inside a virtual machine on the desktop inside OSX!

Smee
    Free Member

Tomzo – they are calling it the "new" macbook pro. apparently updated in july this year. Not laible to update it again so soon are they?

geoffj

iMac + Samsung Netbook with OSX on it 🙂

tomzo
    Free Member

Dunno really, jan/feb would be my guess if they were…I'm not really sure what the latest is in mobile computer processors but I presume that as the imac has got the latest type of processors (and i think it uses laptop parts) it will be pretty soon that the macbook pro range gets them.

What are you gonig to be using it for? I mean power wise the macbook offers the same as the pro range, but it lacks the better screen, sd card slot, firewire, back lit keyboard and aluminium case.

I'd be sorely tempted by the imacs though, those screens are worth the majority of the cost alone!

Smee
    Free Member

I went for the Macbook Pro. It does indeed seem to be a fine bit of kit. Screen clarity is outstanding.

allthegear
    Free Member

Got myself a MacBook Pro 13" the other week. My God it's good – just from an industrial design point of view it is streets ahead of everything else I've seen. I have the "pleasure" of using a Dell laptop at work which I can pick up and twist in my hands – not the Mac – it's absolutely bloody solid. Must be a good sign for it's longevity.

Pauly

Switched to a MacBook 18 months ago, and never looked back. It's a cliche, but they do just work. They're also much more tactile and stable.

Do it!

DaveJones2478
    Free Member

Macs are great, might have to invest in the new iMac the new spec on the screen looks very tempting!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

13inch macbook pro with snow leopard and 4gb of ram-absolutely flies. pc/windows are now just an exercise in frustration!

badfink
    Free Member

Nonsense. Windows 7 is just as good as Snow Kitty – all comes down to what software you'd like to run!

Macbook Pro 13 with dual-boot Windows 7 and OS X gives the best of both worlds, though. It's a lovely laptop.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I've just bought that MacBook pro, plus an extra 2 gig memory, plus Final Cut Express, iWork and an external hard drive. Saved around £400 with my student discount 🙂 Am very happy now I have managed to get my video camera working with it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which laptop for £900’ is closed to new replies.