Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • which is the best steel hardtail at mo??
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

May upgrade my alloy to a steel so wondering which one to buy as there are a lot on market ur thoughts please would great… anyone av a new handjob, is the paint job any harder wearing

5lab

as was said in another thread, whichever one you like the stickers on best.

in before the grammar police 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Having had a Steel 456 Summer Season and now a Whyte 19 Steel, i would say my fave bike would be the Whyte it just feels very right, its very light on its feet if you know what i mean , has the adjustable rear dropouts to alter wheelbase/geometry and can run singlespeed if thats your bag too. I really do like it.

Any excuse here is mine….

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

That’s a fairly open ended question, but…

Evil Sovereign is the most fun hardtails ever made. EVER.

One of the most versatile, too. Works for me.

messiah
    Free Member

Why is “steel” an upgrade from “Aluminium”?

Please expain on the back of a kebab, salad and sauce please 🙄

lamo
    Free Member

Cotic bfe….because thats what ive got…..in gritstone

mattjg
    Free Member

Someone’s going to say Cotic Soul. I have one and I like it, but I can’t swear it’s “best” as I haven’t ridden all the others and don’t know what you want to do with yours anyway.

highclimber
    Free Member

P7.

thread closed

alfabus
    Free Member

let me mail merge this for you:

“The best steel hardtail is <the one I own>, because it feels great and the geometry is the bestest

<username>”

Dave

5lab

thread closed

still looks open to me.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

where does Brant work this week?

Anything designed by brant at previous firms will have issues with oval head tubes, mud clearance or be reworked (can’t remember the name of 1990’s steel frame like an inbred) in very cheap steal, all coming on just as he resigned.

Where it does get confusing is a situation where he returns to a previous firm, in which case all the issues go away and they are once again the best thing since sliced bread.

So one of those.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after, att he moment I’m loving my Swift, it’s not hardcore, but equaly there’s not much other than actual dirtjumps it’s been hard work on and TBH I reckon it would do them except my seapost is too long and my wheels too precious!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

let me mail merge this for you:

“The best steel hardtail is <the one I own>, because it feels great and the geometry is the bestest

<username>”

This is 90% of my STW activity.

I stand by it, of course.

cookeaa

Find yourself a late 90’s Kona Cindercone or Explosif, have some disc tabs welded on it, paint it (badly) with Hammerite to deter theives and ride the arse off it…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Definitely not one of these.

NormalMan

Stanton Slackline looks a rather nice option.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any of them.

If you’re asking the question then you are clearly clueless and you wont be able to tell the difference.

dukeduvet

What kind of riding do you do? Budget? Is it just a frame or complete bike you need?

I was in a similar situation and went from an alloy GT Zaskar to a Cotic Soul. My riding is a mix of local singletrack and trail centres nothing overly hardcore. I really noticed the flex in the back end which makes life so much more comfy. Spot on geometry too.

Other options i looked at were Genesis Latitude, On One 456 and Cove Handjob. The Genesis was a close second.

If you ride bigger stuff bfe or stanton look good choices.

Sure all the options listed are good but decide what you are using it for, test ride a few and make your choice.

bigbloke thats a tidy bike you have there

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i put together an ns surge recently to see what all the fuss was about, and i havent ridden my ally frame since. that little bit of flex is noticeable and its now really uncomfortable to ride my other hardtail. do it you wont regret it, as for which one ? as above ‘get the same as me, mine is lush’ 😉

Euro
    Free Member

Don’t think there is a ‘best’*. Get one that fits and comes in a colour you like.

I’ve two steel hardtails – a 456SS and a DMR drone. They’re very different from each other and although neither is the best, they do what hey are designed for pretty well.

Maybe think about what you actually want it for and come back with a ‘reccommend me a xxxx for xxxx riding’?

* the best steel hardtail is a BMX btw 😀

Northwind

Soul is a good place to start… It’s not the best- there’s no such thing- but it’s quite a stereotypical steel frame, lots of spring in it, and a great allrounder. And well made, light for 140mm capability, flexible, well finished. Expensive though.

Course, I sold mine, and my BFe. So, I’m going to recommend the 456 Carbon. Well OK, I’ll admit to the technicality that it’s not a steel hardtail, but it thinks it is- reminds me a lot of my Soul (doesn’t make me think of steel 456s at all though)

highclimber – Member

P7.

thread closed

Depends really on what year you’re posting from. But we’re receiving your posts in 2011, where it’s become overweight and overpriced.

kayak23

This hardtail is currently the best in the known world.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

and heavier than most of the known world.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My 2002 Kona Lava Dome.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my solitude. which is now unobtainable. so there.

highclimber
    Free Member

Depends really on what year you’re posting from. But we’re receiving your posts in 2011, where it’s become overweight and overpriced.

weight worries are so last year. i’ll give you the price thing but only because we’re in a supposed recession.

DezB
    Free Member

and heavier than most of the known world.

Doesn’t look heavy. Looks gorgeous. Wassit weigh?

[edit] Crikey 6.4lbs! That’s heavier than my Yeti 🙁

hora
    Free Member

You ride a Handjob?

I’d put the Whyte on there. I’ve not ridden one but from what I’ve heard they are supposed to be really good.

I’d put the Sanderson at the top of the list though.

yodagoat
    Free Member

probably not one of these 😀

Pugsley’s been painted. by yodagoat, on Flickr

Pooley
    Free Member

Kayak,

Is that Transition a Trans Am? I’m thinking of one myself. Looks great, good work.

Rik
    Free Member

Chromag Sakura………….if you can afford.

dickie
    Free Member

Enigma Ego ST

Pace RC104

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Ala Carte! Modern take on a classic frame available with a matching green fork.

GB

hora
    Free Member

So a carbon456 then

derekrides
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    This hardtail is currently the best in the known world.

Correct.

kiwijohn

Salsa Ala Carte! Modern take on a classic frame available with a matching green fork.

Shame it’s been discontinued. I’ll never part with my mid 90’s Ala Carte.
    Also still loving my DMR Switchback.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I keep looking at the Curtis website and thinking that one of those would be really quite nice…

chiefgrooveguru

If there’s a better one than mine then I don’t want to know about it!

trevh
    Free Member

pipedream scion lovely bike only had it a few months but brilliant

colournoise

Whatever modern frame is closest to a 2001 DMR Trailstar.

slainte 😀 rob

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘which is the best steel hardtail at mo??’ is closed to new replies.