Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which ipad or equivalent should I buy?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Planning on getting my missus an ipad for a birthday present.

Question is, which one should I get her?
    Or should I get an android tablet instead? Or, dare I say, windows?

Want to include a keyboard dock/cover too.

It’ll be used for web-surfing, viewing and uploading photos off the camera, emailing, a little bit of “home-office” type stuff, skype, bit of iplayer viewing (but not much) and no doubt the games on the cbeebies site if my son gets his sticky mits on it.

Don’t think 3G is a requirement, it’ll mainly be used at home, or family home with shared wireless. I presume it can be paired to a phone to use 3G connection if needs be.

tragically1969
    Free Member

On those requirments you should buy a laptop…..

GrahamS

Want to include a keyboard dock

Try it without first. Really. On-screen keyboard are not that bad.
    Adding a keyboard to a tablet suggests you should really just buy a netbook/laptop.

no doubt the games on the cbeebies site

That rules out the iPad – most of those games are flash-based which Apple no-likey.

Android should handle them, once you do whatever incantation is required to install flash, but bear in mind that not all flash games are designed with a touch screen in mind, so some might not be that playable.

I presume it can be paired to a phone to use 3G connection if needs be.

Most newish smartphones can work as little wifi hotspots or bluetooth modems, sending the data over 3G, so provided your phone does this then yeah, you don’t need a 3G tablet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m not the biggest Mac fan by any means but I think for a general user like your missus the iPad is probably the best option at the moment. I doubt flash games will be all that big a deal.

eddie11
    Free Member

on that basis it should definately not be borrowed for reading singletrack back issues. oh no 😉

woody74

iPad 2 16gb is the best for the money as unless you are using extensive games then I iPad 3 isn’t really needed. Get it from the Mac Store and have a play for a couple of weeks and see if it does everything you need it to. You get 14 day money back guarantee. Go through Quidco and you also get 10% cash back.

I got an iPad3 when they came out as we needed one for work but we sent it back as no really noticeable change and just keep using our iPad 2

mark90
    Free Member

For ease of uploading photos from the camera consider a tablet with a sd card slot, assuming that it is compatible with whatever your camera uses.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

For the things you list I’d recommend an iPad 3. You wouldn’t want to go back to a 2 if you got one, especially for photos.

You can get an adaptor (~£20 I think) to load photos straight from your SD card to iPad.

GrahamS

on that basis it should definately not be borrowed for reading singletrack back issues. oh no

If that is a “use-case” then an iPad 3 is the way to go.

Was happily sat on a plane yesterday flicking through the latest Singletrack that I downloaded at the airport. Very nice.

I got an iPad3 when they came out as we needed one for work but we sent it back as no really noticeable change

😯 http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

You can get an adaptor (~£20 I think) to load photos straight from your SD card to iPad.

Yep, camera connection kit. Comes with an SD card adapter and a USB camera adapter. No problem importing photos from my Nikon D80.

tonyd

I posted a similar thread recently, although I’d already decided on iPad over Android etc. There’s some useful comments in there if you decide on iPad.

I ended up paying more and getting the 3. I have to say it’s very slick (as I’m sure the 2 is) and we’re very pleased with it. Early days yet to see if it does everything required but it’s looking promising. My missus is a complete technophobe but is loving it. I think the pink cover helps a lot.

toby1

Don’t whatever you do install draw something. I never see my pad now as my wife is always playing that bloody game.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.
    Reckon I’ll buy her a nice new watch 🙂

GrahamS

How about some nice pans for her kitchen? Then you both benefit 😀

simonralli2
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an iPad 2 for my fiancee from Tescos who are currently selling them with £70 off, so the 16gig basic one is currently £329.

I though went for the 3G as wifi is nowhere near as extensive in Brazil.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which ipad or equivalent should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.