Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Which hubs for longevity and servicability?
  • 69er
    Free Member

HOPE

69er
    Free Member

HOPE

69er
    Free Member

Or Shi*mano if you like to service the drive side every 3 & 1/2 yards if riding in the wet and mud. 😉

69er
    Free Member

Or Shi*mano if you like to service the drive side every 3 & 1/2 yards if riding in the wet and mud. 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think I read somewhere that C&C hubs have something like 1/5th the rolling resistance of cartridge hubs.
    I now use CK hubs, but for a long time I used XTR as I prefer to be able to adjust the bearings if any play develops (as opposed to Hope's "when there's play, throw them away" bearings).

captaindanger

Thanks all for your iteresting "facts" – to summarise:

cup and cone = excellent if you remember to religiously service them even when you think they're fine (I'd like to think I'd do this, but probably won't), and once you've accidentally forgotten to service them (for a few years) they could be irreparably damaged

cartridge e.g. hope – cost a few pounds more per year but you can ignore them until something's wrong, and they have a bit more resistance (though that probably wont make a noticeable difference, I remember reading an article by Lennard Zinn about it here)

I have some ritchey road sealed ones, which I'd like to have messed about with, but the freehub body is too soft and the casette has made big dents in it! That's a design fault.

billyboy
    Free Member

IF…………….IF Shimano were as reliable as they used to was then XT cup and cone would be GREAT.

BUT they are not.
    I have experienced the incredible (no matter what you bloody do) New Shimano XT 'UNDOES ITSELF' hub and I know of other examples personaly and several more reported on here. You do them up tight as you like………You locktite them……… THEY COME UNDONE in around 200 miles or less. They break your QR and they bend your drop outs. Nothing wrong say the Madison people!
    Thanks but no thanks.

Shame because I have a ten year old pair of XT hubs that are still alive….if a little rumbly….. but they did always get serviced at the first sign of trouble.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Which hubs for longevity and servicability?’ is closed to new replies.