Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which GPS device?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I know this has been covered before, but still doesn't seem to answer everything.

I'm after something to record routes and be able to put new routes on.

It will be used for MTB'ing

I don't know about MM's, Garmin, or OS map compatibility and also don't know which mapping formats are most widely used.

I have a HTC phone with mytracks. Can these type files be downloaded onto a GPS, or is this just complicating the issue

😕 😕

uplink
    Free Member

IMO

get the cheapest Garmin Etrex & a bike mount & use http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm to upload routes etc.

Trekster

Uplink
    That looks good but how does it work?
    Will it work with an Edge 205?
    I am a bit like bonesetter, pc and techno numptie(nae offence bs)

MrAgreeable

If you want one with just an arrow that points where you need to go, the Etrex series are beloved by many.

If you want a more complicated one that'll show you an OS or equivalent map as you navigate, you could have a look at a Satmap (ace but expensive), the new Memorymap GPS unit (ditto), or run Memorymap on a cheapo Pocket PC with a separate GPS receiver(slightly cheaper) – these have digital OS maps available in a proprietary format.

For a true zero-budget solution, there are free programs out there which let you calibrate a scanned or downloaded map with grid co-ordinates, which can then be used with free navigation software on a pocket PC, smartphone, etc.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

none of the map formats are cross compatible. you can't use MM maps on a satmap or a Garmin for instance.

the logged GPS routes are however, and can be converted on various websites to work with pretty much any device.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great input, thanks

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, with the etrex can you upload a route you have completed, and would this be viewed in the software uplink suggested in the post above, along with the map underlayed?

(apologies once again for thick questioning)

uplink
    Free Member

Will it work with an Edge 205?

I can't see why not
    It doesn't cost so give it a go

MrAgreeable

bonesetter – Member

So, with the etrex can you upload a route you have completed, and would this be viewed in the software uplink suggested in the post above, along with the map underlayed?

Yes – both OS and Google Earth. But it'll only give limited info out on the trail – I think grid reference, compass heading and where you are relative to the route you've plugged into it are all you get.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I have an old etrex ( it has a an RS232 serial port cable, with a usb concerter cable…nobody said this had to be pretty…

It works fine with PC. NOT Mac compatible due to USB bus issues in the Mac. I use Memory Map to store and create routes. The Etrex has a waypoint limit, so you need to be frugal with your points on the route, but other than that my only issue is:

It uses my bearing to calculate which direction it is pointing. This is fine once you are on the move, but if you start at an unknown location, and rely on the GPS, you can head off in the completely wrong direction.

Also, I'm now considering the purchase of a HRM, and it seems prudent to combine the 2. Edge 705 me thinks, when I'm feeling rich…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

The most useful model I have come across which is sadly now defunct was the Garmin Foretrex 201, it had a multitude of screens including 10 figure o/s grid location, altitude, download and upload ability from both Memory Map and Anquet, arrow to show you where to go and all in a unit not much bigger than a trip computer. The only problems were they were a bit fragile but for around £100 couldn't fault them, wish you could still get them.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great. I bought an as new eTrex c/w bike bar mount, usb cable and upgraded maps. Should be here in a couple of days

Looking forward to it. I'm mainly after being able to go somewhere and ride an unfamiliar trail (as well as recording my local trails for anyone who wants them)

Thanks for all the help, it's made it all alot clearer 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

piston – I'm still using a Foretrex 201 and it really is a great little device. All the newer models seem to have more fluff and less substance. It does everything I need so I'll keep it until it dies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS device?’ is closed to new replies.