Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which Gore Jacket?
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I have been up and down the Gore jacket range trying to figure out which one to buy. There seem to be some issues with availability especially at Wiggle which is odd seeing as it is only November but I simply can't decide which to get.
    I can see the point of splashing out on the fusion and I have tried a few on locally so I am pretty sure that I want something that is slim fit rather than tight or comfort.
    That leaves me with:

Tool – Have to buy in Denmark if I don't want olive green so will cost £140
    Falcon – Can only find in Denmark in XL for about £100
    Contest AS – £76 at Wiggle
    Fusion – £260 at wiggle

I am more interested in warmth and breathability than hardcore waterproofing and I know the fit and quality of all of them is good.

At the moment, I think I am leaning towards the tool but does anyone have any great insights into the differences between them in action. I have tried a few on and they all felt good. The Falcon and the phantom didn't seem to offer quite enough protection from the elements though so perhaps the same is true of the contest.

imp999
    Free Member

I don't know about the others but I have a Mk1 Phantom and it is rediculously warm and almost a waterproof!
    Its the best piece of kit I have.

ojom
    Free Member

Hiya

The Tool is a loose fit windstopper softshell – we aim the Tool range at commuters casue the fit allows clothes underneath. There is stock at Gore of Black and Red in XL.

Falcon = tight fit… Black, Lemon and Red all available at Gore in an XL. More stretch panels in this one so designed to feel 'fitted' in use. Colin is ordering one for a road/commute top.

Contest = Slim fit, so not figure hugging – quite flattering! Blue, Black and Red in XL at Gore

Fusion – this is a Gore Tex one so water proof, diff to the other ones you have mentioned and most expensive accordingly.

My money os on the Contest. Good fit, breathable, discreet, good cut. MMM nice.

BTW we dont have them listed on our site so don't click through. We will be listig them with the new site in about 6 weeks time. By that point you would more than likely have bought one anyway.

If you would rather chat about the tops just call us – we dot mind helping you out with experience – we wont even sell you anything as we dont take cards over the phone!

Mark

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought the fusion last winter and it's been a fantastic jacket, so good that I was looking forward to waering it again this winter. It's warmth, has very high breathability and excellent waterproofing. Pit zip are great for cooling things down. It is a winter jacket though and would be too hot for spring/autumn.

Wore it on Monday for my 20 mile commute and it was -3 when I left and I was warm enough with a merino vest, merino top and the fusion. This morning was a lot warmer and I was fine with a merino top and the fusion.

I don't have any experience of the others but the fusion is excellent.

NagsNog
    Free Member

I have an Gore ALPEX waterproof and it is the least breathable gortex jacket i have ever owned, i thought at 165 quid and being very thin it would be the opposite meaning i would have less of the on of on of routine on wet rides…
    I have the Phantom and its the single best bit of kit i have ever owned…ever…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which Gore Jacket?’ is closed to new replies.