Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Discs on the SS???
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Right, the shimano un grouped discs that came on my Genesis are pooooooo!
    Think theyre worth about 50p each!
    They have cack tolerances to set them up and they’re just not that great!

So anyway, whats best for sticking on there now?
    Im looking at SLX, XT, 2008 XTR Hope X2’s or another set of Hayes strokers like the Whyte has, which i quite like!

Dibbs – I can get 2008 XTR for £250 a pair? Worth it?

Thoughts?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I like my XTR’s, They work for me, thats why I’ve got em on 4 bikes, you’d need need to factor in the price of a couple of 6 bolt rotors though.

charlierevell
    Free Member

They come for that price with 6 bolt rotors….
    SLX 2009 are £170ish, XT £209,2008 XTR £250.

zaskar
    Free Member

SLX.

I have XTR on my xc whippet-it’s fine with crisp shifting but the brakes have to be set up well.

I went with LX with my SS -same as SLX but without the new levers.

You’ll find that SLX will be a doddle to set up and stronger/longer lasting than XTR.

Are you racing? XTR.

Weight weenie? XT.

All mountain/xc/reliability/non cheese materials-SLX.

Also fit a 180mm disc if you are heavy otherwise a 160mm is fine.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Cheers Zaskar, Im a 15stone rider and its going on the SS so weight isnt my main priority.
    Looks like it might be SLX

darrell
    Free Member

i’ve got some cheapo juicy 3’s on my ss. they work fine. nought special but neither’s the rest of the bike

Dibbs
    Free Member

Im a 15stone rider

You’ll probably need at least a 180mm on the front then fatty 😀

Del

a lot of folk seem to like shimano brakes. anecdotal evidence suggests they just work. anyway, my 2p would be stick with hayes, if you’re happy with them, as it’ll save you having to have different fittings for bleeding, and carrying two lines of spare pads…
    have you put a bit of old tyre on your downtube yet? 🙂

charlierevell
    Free Member

Nope shes still bare…. thinking of how to make it all nice and tidy!
    Yeah… one option is to pop Stroker Grams on the Whyte, and move the carbons to the SS.
    Arrrgghh, the dilemas!!

zaskar
    Free Member

Del-I’ve had XT, XTR and LX, juicy 7’s etc even Hope Mini’s.

I do like Avid’s pad adjust on their top end.

Once a Shimano brake is setup properly-it’s awesome.

My XTR is 160mm and the modulation is great.

I’m 92kg-not fat you cheeky fecker Dibbs ;O) but have to agree go for the 180mm with metal pads.

With the servo lever, 180mm rotor you’ll stop really well and also resist heat for a bit a longer.

If you are going rigid fork-then deffo 180mm on the front, 160mm on the back.

My XTR seemed on par but the power on a 180mm LX was great.

Shimano are vast-parts availbale even from Halfrauds and easy to sell or use on a commuter/new build.

Just watch the aluminum threads.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Which Discs on the SS???(

Cheap ones that work and are reliable 😉

sharki
    Free Member

as you’ll be limited to riding the canal paths i think a good sturdy trainer against the rear tyre will work well enough.

trailmonkey

my 2p would be stick with hayes, if you’re happy with them, as it’ll save you having to have different fittings for bleeding, and carrying two lines of spare pads…

+1

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Don’t know if it helps but I’ve got XTs on my geared bike and mono minis on my ss. I much prefer the XTs – as Zaskar says, once they’re set up they’re awesome. I love the fact that I can set the levers & bite point just how I like. They also seem a fair bit more powerful that minis although that could be partly rotor size. With the XTs I run a 180 on the front even though I’m very light – I’d always prefer to have too much power than not enough! Hope that helps a little!

saladdodger
    Free Member

MTFU 😉

turn yer s/s into a fixed wheel then you can use yer legs for braking

to be fair the brakes are shat I was under welmed by them infact they made canti’s seem good

saladdodger
    Free Member

Have a look at the merlin offers on the hayes stokers as you say you have no issues with the 19

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Discs on the SS???’ is closed to new replies.