Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • which chain to buy?
  • northernrick
    Free Member

any suggestions for a good quality 9 speed chain?

PJM1974
    Free Member

KMC. Can’t go wrong.

AJames
    Free Member

SRAM

andyl
    Free Member

KMC X9. Just the basic one for around £15 but go for the all silver one not the silver and grey one. Comes with a masterlink jobby.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

KMC.Specifically the X9 93.Last one cost me £14.

northernrick
    Free Member

any of these work better with shimano?

andyl
    Free Member

all much of a muchness.

edit: buy the one you can afford to buy 2 of.

Always a very good idea to have 2 chains ready to run at any one time in case of a problem. Also best to keep swapping them – eg when you do a decent clean or after a really muddy ride when to remove the chain to clean and relube as the more you let a chain wear the more the damage to the rest of the drivetrain. Oh and get a chain checker if you don’t already have one. <£10 and worth it.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Another vote for KMC: (X9,X9L,X9SL) depending on budget.

northernrick
    Free Member

cheers folks. X9L it is. worked out about £17 with shipping.
    only picked bike up yesterday and the one on there is beyond tired!

sam42
    Free Member

Wipperman connex.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Oh and get a chain checker if you don’t already have one. <£10 and worth it.

Can’t agree with that. All chain checkers except the £50 Shimano jobby measure roller wear too, which doesn’t really matter. A steel rule (or a ruler if Her Majesty isn’t busy) does a far better job. Change chain at 12 and 1/16″ for 12 links (i.e. just over 0.5% wear).

You can get a chain checker to show some new chains are worn!

superfli
    Free Member

SRAM 951 cheap and lasts very well. I cant understand why people pay more

Northwind

KMC for me- I get the X9.93 and replace ’em more often. They come with a powerlink too, which is nice.

(I did try an X9SL, but it proved flimsy- fine til it chainsucked, at which point it bent because of all the holes in the plates)

_tom_
    Free Member

KMC x9 in grey, can be had for about a tenner.

andyl
    Free Member

rulers may be more accurate but a faff. Chain checkers are useful for doing a quick check as they take seconds when the chain is still on the bike. If it seems to be worn then worth taking more time to check it over properly. Surely you want to keep an eye on roller wear anyway as they also have an effect on opening up the teeth on rings.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Surely you want to keep an eye on roller wear anyway as they also have an effect on opening up the teeth on rings.

I don’t think they do, there’s a good site on the interwebs with pics to prove I seem to recall.

I use a ruler on bike too, same if not quicker than the chain checker I used to use.

andyl
    Free Member

Problem with using a rule is you need to have the chain stretched tight and you need to line up exactly with the middle of the rivets – both things are going to give you a source of error which I like to take time to minimise. Therefore from my experience I like having a chain checker to quickly check chains – especially on friends bikes when they ask me to check something for them just before a ride, especially drivetrain problems, when I can quickly check the chain is not completely beyond any replacement point. I use the Park one so can’t comment on other ones giving false readings though. As for the rollers – it’s only going to be affected by the 2 it touches so the error is probably less than the errors in the two points I made earlier and I’d rather they tell me a chain needs checking properly than let me carry on with a worn chain.

But that’s my preference. I then use a set of calipers to measure the chain properly if in any doubt.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘which chain to buy?’ is closed to new replies.