Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which chain cleaning jobby
  • Olly
    Free Member

i feel the need, to buy a chain cleaning jobby, so i dont have to get at it with pipecleaners after every ride.

to they work?
    any reccomendations?
    any to avoid?

Go team!

Rockplough
    Free Member

I'd steer clear of jobby for cleaning duties full stop. You'd be much better off with degreaser of some type.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I agree (joking aside) with Rockplough

I use a waterbottle with some degreaser in. Take chain off (power link tool makes this easy as pie but you can use fingers so long as you have a powerlink on the chain and the knack). Put chain in waterbottle. Soak / agitate while cleaning the bike. Remove and oil chain. Mount on bike

Does a better job than any brushing thing I have ever used and is ultimately less messy. Plus it makes it easier to clean your mech and cassette with the chain out of the way … if you're into that sort of thing

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah that's exactly what I do. Fenwicks solution in an old bottle. Comes out lovely.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

White spirits works a treat on chains and cassettes.
    Cheap as chips too. 😉

Taff
    Free Member

I use fenwicks for the general cleaning and used to swear by Park Chainbrite for the chain but I've since discovered Muc Off chain cleaner and now swear by that instead!

ourmaninthenorth

Finish Line degreaser and chain off for me.

But, the key I find, is not to over oil the chain in the first place. I use dry lube year round.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Park cleaner jobbie loaded with degreaser. Works a treat & takes 30 seconds.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Degreaser and a toothbrush 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Think I'm currently using the finish line chain cleaner device (broke a couple of cheaper ones previously, not tried the Park one yet though). Much easier than taking the chain off for a quick clean but every once in a while I'd agree taking the chain off and soaking it etc. is a good idea.

chiefgrooveguru

Muc-Off Chain Doc works very well and saves SO much time compared to more old school methods. Literally a 30 second job to clean the chain so you can do it after every dirty ride.

carl
    Free Member

Havent had to degrease my chain since i started using Squirt last year.
    Chain and sprokets lasting better then ever before.

weldtite citrus degreaser and the chain in screw top jar and given a good shake works well when i degrease chains to start folk on the white stuff.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I use a towel and gt85. Back spin the chain in the towel to get all the shit off (and leave the chain nice and shiny) then gt85 on chain. Before i ride i add a touch of green finishline. Obviously use an old towel, not your finest egyptian cotton!
    I have a chain cleaning jobby but dont find the results any better and cant be arsed with the faff…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Havent had to degrease my chain since i started using Squirt last year.
    Chain and sprokets lasting better then ever before.

Same here. Degreaser is the Devil's jizz!
    I just take the chain off, slosh it about under some running water and then dry it off. Job done.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Save your money and get a glass family size pasta Jar! If you've a power link take chain off stick it in a the jar with hot water and washing up liquid and shake, repeat a couple of times, rinse, wipe down and dry off on a radiator, lube and put back on bike.

I think the chain will last longer than the degrease route as you're not stripping the chain of all its lube inside the rollers, rather you are mostly washing of the grit and dirt. works for me 🙂

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Save your money and get a glass family size pasta Jar! If you've a power link take chain off stick it in a the jar with hot water and washing up liquid and shake, repeat a couple of times, rinse, wipe down and dry off on a radiator, lube and put back on bike.

I think the chain will last longer than the degrease route as you're not stripping the chain of all its lube inside the rollers, rather you are mostly washing of the grit and dirt. works for me
    You know fairy liquid is a degreaser right? A power link can only be removed so many times before it loses its click and becomes loose, so ideally you want to leave the chain on the bike.
    A clean chain is better than a lubed chain.

Macavity
    Free Member

Get a pair of rubber gloves to keep your hands clean when cleaning your bike, since some degreasers are not skin friendly.
    http://www.weldtite.co.uk/150/pages/podcasts/washing-and-lubing-your-bike.aspx

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Finish Line Grunge Brush does the job simply and effectively, and doesn't fall apart due to degreaser-induced brittleness, like some of the more complicated devices do (even the expensive ones, I had a Park Tools one that started to disintegrate after 6 months).

Northwind

Jam jar, paraffin, job done. No idea how people can make this so complicated really…

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 use a split link for ease of removal – then stick it (not the split link though)in the dishwasher (with usual load) and PRESTO – clean chain (mega minging chains sometimes benefit from a quick scrub in the sink first) – place on radiator to dry and then lube with the lube of your preference – refit – ride – repeat

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which chain cleaning jobby’ is closed to new replies.