• This topic has 58 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Which canon camera lens?
  • rOcKeTdOg

How much don Simon?

Denis99
    Free Member

Tokina 11 – 16

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to have a 50mm f1.4 on my film camera. It was absolutely fantastic. Coupled with 6400 ISO black and white film it opened up new worlds. Like taking pictures in moonlight or street-light for some great effects.. brill 🙂

GrahamS

my subjects often move unpredictably

Isn't that an argument FOR using a fast lens like the 50mm?

Large aperture = more light = faster autofocus?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Isn't that an argument FOR using a fast lens like the 50mm?

Large aperture = more light = faster autofocus?

also = tiny depth of field and unless the whole shebang is damn fast it'll have moved out of focus in a split second.

molgrips
    Free Member

If something's a long way off the narrow DOF isn't a problem is it?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If something's a long way off the narrow DOF isn't a problem is it?

but unless it's really big it'll look small 🙁

GrahamS

Yeah but you don't have to use the max aperture though.

If you shoot at say f/8, I believe it still does the focussing at max aperture then stops down for the actual exposure.

So all other thinfs being equal a f1.8 should autofocus faster or at least more reliably than a kit lens, because it has much more light to calculate the focus from.

Denis99
    Free Member

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

coffeeking
    Free Member

I tend to just re-compose and then stitch at home, but that's a slight problem with moving targets unless you're really planning it well! 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

How much don Simon?

Just got in, I'm in Spain so it'll cost a fortune in P&P, second I think I have a sale here, sorry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

get a decent "L" lens. Firstly you won't regret it. Secondly, if you do regret it, you'll get most of your money back when selling second hand.

there is NO substitute for good glass and good glass always holds its value.

petrieboy

The nifty fifty is a sound (and very modest) investment for a beginner. Mine is on the camera more than anything and seems to produce brilliant pics despite me being really quite rubbish!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a look here for cheeeeeeeeep lenses.
    And here for secondhand sutff.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

get a decent "L" lens. Firstly you won't regret it. Secondly, if you do regret it, you'll get most of your money back when selling second hand.

does this have anything to do with the original post?

there is NO substitute for good glass and good glass always holds its value.

Disagree. You can get a stunning photo using a glass marble (or pinhole) and dull tat using some expensive bling 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

don – they're not cheeeeeeep – they have the nift fifty for nearly £80, I've seen it as low as 60.

donsimon
    Free Member

Where? links?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant remember off the top of my head, will see if I bookmarked them at home for you.

nbt

Kerso (who runs flash camera) will do MUCH better prices away from Ebay. He operates on many phot forums and is consistently rated as a good seller, I've had two lenses off him. He'll even provide UK receipts for cashback claims if canon are running offers.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Which canon camera lens?’ is closed to new replies.