Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which brake pads?
  • aracer
    Free Member

For my Formula R1s?

I’d rather not pay too much (the official Formula ones are silly money), so are the EBC sintered available for half the price any good? Or how about the Clarks sintered available even cheaper? Any other suggestions?

Northwind

Superstar Kevlar- it’s a win/win, either you’ll get on with them as well as I do (best pads I’ve used), or, you won’t and you’ll get to join in the anti-Superstar threads on here.

bighendo
    Free Member

i`ve used EBC and Superstar
    both are superb
    ..Superstar link

votchy
    Free Member

Why jeopardise the lightest race brake available with all it’s stopping power etc by using after-market pads??? Would you put remoulds on a Porsche? Just wondering not trying to be antagonistic

aracer
    Free Member

So the Superstar Kevlar last (almost) as well as sintered in UK mud?

Northwind

Depends on your flavour of mud, IIRC they’re not recommended for proper grinding grit. They do fine with higher quality scottish mud though- not as longlived as sintered but closer to that than to organics.

votchy – Member
    Why jeopardise the lightest race brake available with all it’s stopping power etc by using after-market pads??? Would you put remoulds on a Porsche?

Ridiculous comparison. Would you slavishly replace the tyres on a Porsche with identical tyres because that was what came on it, or would you look at other quality options to see if there was anything better, or better value, or more appropriate for your own use?

neil853
    Free Member

Why jeopardise the lightest race brake available with all it’s stopping power etc by using after-market pads??? Would you put remoulds on a Porsche? Just wondering not trying to be antagonistic

Has to be a troll????

themountaingoat
    Free Member

In my hope brakes I use Hope pads. I dont think much of superstar components . They might of improved since I used them last that being said .

binners

Superstar Kevlar are good at stopping you, but won’t last long in Peak District grinding paste. However… they’re so bloody cheap if you buy a few sets…who cares?

I’ve recently started running Ashima SOS pads. More expensive than most, but I’ve been amazed at how long they’ve lasted. Used exclusively in northern death-to-all-brake-pads filth

igorl
    Free Member

I did not had luck with superstar kevlar on my Formula RX.
    Original formula organic pads lasted half of year (~20k vertical meters). Then I’ve tried kevlar ones from superstar, only lasted about a month (3-4k vm). Although I must admit, breaking power-wise, they were fine.

Now run original sintered for few months still going strong with more power than kevlar ones (mostly on long descends when breaks heat-up and organic ones start to lose bite).

Considering what life I got out of kevlar, the original ones are comparable in price. Maybe I got a bad batch, I have no idea. Some of the guys around here are using them and are happy though.

Update: yeah, this is riding in Alps area, so no major mud. Although these is some now in winter, not nearly as much as in UK I would imagine.

votchy
    Free Member

Ridiculous comparison. Would you slavishly replace the tyres on a Porsche with identical tyres because that was what came on it, or would you look at other quality options to see if there was anything better, or better value, or more appropriate for your own use?

Knowing the amount of testing done to find the appropriate tyres for each vehicle, yes, I would replace like for like. maybe my analogy should have been would you fit deore steel rings to an XTR chainset.

Genuinely not trolling, honestly wondering why you would use a brand/compound not developed specifically for those brakes as they are at the top end of the spectrum.

Northwind

The problem is the comparison with remoulds- and more generally, the assumption that aftermarket pads will be inferior. My Formula pads were pretty ordinary, likewise my XTR pads- there was no magic dust in either.

I also have deore steel rings on both my XTR cranks 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Would you put remoulds on a Porsche?

No – but I’d put on tyres developed for it by different companies, and I’d certainly not pay a premium to buy them from the main dealer. If you’re switching to a chainring analogy, then I have aftermarket TA chainrings on my bikes, which I find work far better than OEM ones 8)

Thanks for the helpful comments from others, though now I’m even more confused – like igorl I actually got surprisingly good life out of the original organics, though the most recent mudfest completely killed them.

So if Superstar kevlar may not be the longest lasting, how about their sintered, which appear to be rather cheaper than the alternatives when bought in quantity?

aracer
    Free Member

…well I’ve hedged my bets and just bought one set of Superstar sintered. Not too much lost if they’re rubbish.

Taff
    Free Member

The Superstar ones get mixed reviews but I’ve just been looking around for myself and can get four sets for my E4s for about the same price as a single set everywhere else. Even if I only get 6 months out of each end they’re a bargain.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’ve been using a2z from dotbike as my last 3 pairs of superstar came away from the backing plate. Very pleased with power and longevity. Will still give the superstar Kevlar a go though

portydave
    Free Member

I have been using sintered superstar pads recently and they perform well and seem to last. I put a set in a couple of months ago, and ride a couple of times a week. Just done the puffer as well, changed out the pads half way through my 7 laps, but reckon I could have done the whole thing on the original pads I arrived with fitted…..just didn’t fancy changing them at 3 in the morning if they wore out, and at the price it seemed a good idea. Would never buy any of the OEM £15+ a pair pads now

portydave
    Free Member

Btw I have formula R1’s as well

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.