Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which bike trailer?
  • jimmy

Maybe for off-road use, but generally up and down the cycle path. Who's got what and what's good?

Fop
    Free Member

Assuming you mean one to carry little people and not luggage, I looked at these a little while back (although they all seemed to be from Germany or Holland at the time). They seemed to be pretty good value against everything else I found.

Linky

jimmy

Nope sorry, 'cargo' trailers. For carrying sacks of rubbish, or shopping.

aP
    Free Member

Bob-yak. Seems sturdy, doesn't fall over going round corners, doesn't need nasty chainstay clamp, fits almost any bike.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I like my Edinburgh Bikes one … had it off road and apart from seeming to cause a little understeer works fine.

Stuart

midlifecrashes

We had a Philips Cleveland hard base trailer for two kids, and it was brilliant for shopping and cargo too, could loads more loadspace than some of the dedicated cargo types.

GW
    Free Member

Jimmy – just bought a new child trailer, you can have my old one for free if you collect.

pretty much the same as an Edinburgh bicycle one only 8 yrs old and very tatty (still in full working order tho).

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Just to break the heart of those who shelled out £150;00 (or £125;00 if you bought one a while ago) for the EBC Bob Yak Copy (I was one when but I sold it when my touring antics were curtailed), I;ve just bought an EBC trailer under a different name from Ebay for £65;00 posted!
    Exactly the same as the EBC apart from the bag but both are crap anyway.
    Link here; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bicycle-Trailer-Cargo-Trailer-Single-Wheel-NEW-F50_W0QQitemZ230450640589QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98932QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8652387276730575993 apologies for the big url
    The trailer took 8 days to arrive.
    **EDIT** I can't get the link to work. Search the seller oskar-design or Bicycle Trailer Cargo Trailer Single-Wheel NEW!!
    They all seem to go for about £65;00 and he has loads for sale each week
    I've done loads of on and off road tours with my EBC – no haslles at all

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers for the link barca2.

really good price for delivered too!!

really tempted

mattythemod
    Free Member

Bob Yak copy on E bay ??This one guys ??

Is it identical to a Bob Yak ??

Pigface
    Free Member

I got a BOB Yak off of Flea Bay, cost me £120 the seller had used it once, tows a treat feels a bit odd at first but now no problem.

There are all sorts for sale in Germany and Holland but getting hold of them is tricky.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I bought an EBC copy and took for a week long trip through Wales.

Pros:
    – Better than panniers for off roading.
    – Can carry a bigger load than panniers/frame bags.

Cons:
    – Heavy – much, much heavier than panniers.
    – The seams on the bag leaked and it ripped pretty easily.
    – The catches that held it to the rear QR gave up the ghost on day 2 and were held together with a stick for the rest of the trip.

You pays your money….

mattythemod
    Free Member

[/quote]Cons:
    – Heavy – much, much heavier than panniers.
    – The seams on the bag leaked and it ripped pretty easily.
    – The catches that held it to the rear QR gave up the ghost on day 2 and were held together with a stick for the rest of the trip.

You pays your money….

Best pick up one of those Gelert Tauplian duffles off ebay .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/Oregon08#5399038097700130642

BOB for me. I picked up a brand new one on Fleabay last week for £127.

alpin
    Free Member

mattythemod – Member

Bob Yak copy on E bay ??This one guys ??

Is it identical to a Bob Yak ??

no. it's the EBC one.

i've got a BOB and it's solid. taken lots of abuse over the years (6+ years). toured from london to munich, several smaller tours with germany, many many beer trips – can load two crates (40 beers) one on top of the other, just taking a slow ride back.

top bit of kit.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

That's the one from the very same ebay seller, Mattythemod. Exactly the same as an EBC apart from the bag but they're both bobbins anyway.
    I've done loads of multi day tours with my EBC and it was fine. Sorry I sold it. Happy to get my Ebay version from that guy you've linked to two weeks ago. £65:00 posted (paid via paypal with my credit card) and it took 8 days to arrive from the day I paid. Not bad from Germany, I thought.
    £150 from EBC or £65:00 from Ebay.

mattythemod
    Free Member

That's the one from the very same ebay seller, Mattythemod. Exactly the same as an EBC apart from the bag but they're both bobbins anyway.
    I've done loads of multi day tours with my EBC and it was fine. Sorry I sold it. Happy to get my Ebay version from that guy you've linked to two weeks ago. £65:00 posted (paid via paypal with my credit card) and it took 8 days to arrive from the day I paid. Not bad from Germany, I thought.
    £150 from EBC or £65:00 from Ebay.

So whats the diffrence between those E Bay versions and genuine BobYak Trailers , can a Bob Yak really be worth £300 quid odd compared with those German versions for £65 ??

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Well, there in lies the rub. The german and EBC versions are the samething but are undoubtedly cheaper in build quality versions of the Yak.
    The Keith Bontrager (I think) adage holds true once again. Cheap, light, strong. Choose two.
    I've done loads of tours with my previous EBC and it's been fine. Heavier than the Yak but not an anchor. The clasp mechanism is easier to use on the EBC/germzan copy but I suppose is easier to break.
    That I suppose is the rub of it. The EBC/german copy is great but has more potential to go wrong. If that occurs out in the middle of Norway for instance, you could be in a spot of bother. It may never go wrong. If it does, at £65;00 each, that's a lot of go wrongs before it costs more than a Yak.
    I'm happy with my choice to buy the cheaper version. Double happy that it's less than half the price of the EBC.
    If you're near Manchester Mattythemod, you're very welcome to borrow it.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Thanks for your kind offer ….Manchester is a longggg way form the Far East here , i reckon i will go for the E bay copy its gonna be used for supermarket trips and transporting cider and stuff round town .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which bike trailer?’ is closed to new replies.