Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which bike for the JOGLE?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

3 of us are doing the JOGLE starting Sat (over 8 days) – now I have serviced my Kinesis GF Ti and all is set to go – The other 2 teem mates are taking their Carboniferous bikes – a PX Pro and another carbon race bike IIRC a cervello.

Its got me worried now as the Ti is set with guards and not uberlight (still pretty light 105 build with Dura-ace wheelset from race bike) – I have a Spesh S-works SL2 racebike and although light over 8-10 hrs of riding/day I don’t think its gonna do me any favors – so will a couple of Kg’s make much difference over that difference compared to the other team mates?

Also my Ti has full guards for what may very well be bad weather?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

😆 Jesus, life’s so difficult.

If I were doing JOGLE it would be on my 1995 501 Steal road bike, because its the only one I’ve got.

At least though I would have to worry about if Ti is slowere or faster than carbon and how wet my bum would get 🙄

Oh and theres still more time to go out and buy another bike to fulfill your anxiety even more

grantyboy
    Free Member

only as quick as the slowest rider

wors

i’d go with the Kinesis. How are you carrying kit?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If it’s blue skies all the way on billiard smooth roads then they’ll be laughing….

but this is Britain in the wettest spring since dinosaurs ruled the earth crossing a country with no money for road repairs so start working on your smuggest grin and evil laugh right now 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I did LEJOG last year. I had my Ti tourer but there was a few carbon road bikes as well as some hybrids, flat-barred road bikes and a couple of shoppers.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I rode LEJOG last year (although more slowly – over 10 days) on my Spa Cycles Audax Ti bike. It was perfect, sooo comfy. There were some full on race bikes in the group and I didn’t notice a disadvantage in having a heavier bike (also with mudguards and 28 tyres). Over the day/week we all had strong times and weak times, the ‘leader’ changed regularly… it is about so much more than the bike.

Have to admit I lost the mudguards after crashing in Yorkshire, but the initial advantage of having a relatively dry bum at lunch time far out weighed the weight IMO.

Good luck and have fun – I would ride it all again if I could 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry last minute doubts – Sorry I was not willy waving about me having fancy bikes (BTW they are all built up from 1/2 price components and sale/cost price frames BTW no bathing in money)

But yes a dry arse and a softer riding bike is probably best 🙂

Sorry just getting twitchy 😳

fbk
    Free Member

You haven’t doubts Mr Fox? Not like you 😉 . Fwiw, I’d go with plan a – not sure I’d want to spend 8 consecutive days on a “race bred” carbon bike.

Oh, and funkydunk – don’t think this is the right forum to be jealous of folk with too many expensive bikes! 😉

wwaswas

But yes a dry arse and a softer riding bike is probably best

The Felt with Crud Catchers front and rear then 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks Neil – yes being a **** as usual 😉 – oops (swear word)

WW – yes would be a very comfy ride 😉

zangolin
    Free Member

Take both – if you have a support vehicle that is?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes I was going to but space is now limited Tim – one of our drivers let us down badly and he was going to get us a transit but now we just have a std people carrier 🙂

No matter – I think i’ll stick to my guns and stop worrying about stupid things and MTFU and enjoy it 😉

rootes1

brompton 😉

but if I was doing again – road/tourer with mudguards – any will do.

would be more concern with how to carry stuff – def on the bike and not on your body

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – no van assisted and B&B’s so luxury really – if we did it over more days then we might have done it unassisted 🙂 And all for charity as well – well mostly 😉

http://lejog.foxyrider.co.uk/

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d take the Ti bike. I’m doing London-Paris-London but that’s only 500 miles in 4 days.
    The carbon race bike is last on the list. The Ti was looking favorite, but I’m leaning more towards the steel single/fixed.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’d look at geo and comfort over weight I reckon. A slightly heavier bike won’t ruin or jeopardise the event. A wrecked back and numb palms quite possibly!

Comfort comfort comfort!

ransos
    Free Member

Did mine on an old Thorn Audax. Mate used an ancient Raleigh Randonneur. We both survived…

If you’re not carrying your luggage then any reasonably comfortable road or touring bike will be fine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks guys – makes me feel more confident 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Do it on a singlespeed and retain a feeling of smugness and superiority throughout the trip. Even when you’re a couple of miles behind the others.

stevede
    Free Member

I did my jogle on a cheapo £500ish giant defy last year over ten days and it was fine, heavy I suppose compared to my fellow riders planet x carbon job but as a newbie I was just glad to be quicker than the Mtb rolling resistance wise! I did about 3 months training and the ride with my only mechanical being a snapped spoke 50 miles from home during a failed bunny hop up a curb attempt!
    Any of your bikes will do just fine, enjoy.
    Finished my ride on the Sunday and sold my road bike on the mon, not touched one since! Had too many near death experiences, too many crap roads and crap drivers to get me regularly on the road.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d do it on the most comfortable one.

damitamit
    Free Member

I’m starting LEJOG on Monday. 9 days, unassisted staying in B&B’s with 2 mates. Using this:

I would say take whichever you’re most comfortable on. Good luck!

rootes1

Do it on a singlespeed and retain a feeling of smugness and superiority throughout the trip. Even when you’re a couple of miles behind the others.

sod that, was hard enough on 2 speed bromptons – cornwall and devon a real pain!

damitamit – good luck! fingers crossed for the weather – and for the delightful mix of Carradice and Carbon!

shortcut

I did it just over a month ago over 10 days. I was on a Condor Fratello, my partner on a Sabbath Silk Road. Self supported.

Mudguards all the way!! Weight is not so much of an issue!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – thanks for the comments – makes me feel better now 🙂 Time to get excited? – After I finish work Thursday I expect the positive vibes will kick in 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

@ shortcut – is that the free signpost at the back of the PO?

MarkN
    Free Member

@ shortcut – is that the free signpost at the back of the PO?

It must be as Shortcut is to tight to support the local economy 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we’ll be using that as we’ll be leaving too early I think to use the official pay n’ display one 😉

binners

I dares ya!!!

😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh flip binners – I used to have a Demo 8 and I tried commuting to work (12 miles) on it for a laugh – it nearly killed me!

shortcut

Not too tight. Just no sign of the Womble in the hut with the proper signs.

Couldn’t believe you have to pay!! Talk about tight!

There is some lejog stuff in cycling weekly this week including some kit review!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK – might have a look in news agents – reading for the the way up 🙂

damitamit
    Free Member

We might pass you coming the other way at some point! Look out for us. They’ll be 3 of us. I’m the bearded indian guy wearing blue Gregarios (www.gregarios.co.uk) kit.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Will do! 🙂 Have fun 🙂

fasthaggis

I know that I don’t need to tell you about prevailing winds 😛

So just expect to see damitamit fly past the other way ,as you are gurning in to a gale 😆

Have a good one 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Best not remind me 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Back – phew!

shortcut

How’d it go?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hard but good – You can read my (our) (badly) typed blog here 🙂

http://lejog.foxyrider.co.uk/?page_id=530

Photos here:

http://lejog.foxyrider.co.uk/?page_id=667

Weather was appalling to start with! Finish was fantastic !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for the JOGLE?’ is closed to new replies.