Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Which americanisms would you like to see erased from the english language?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have you read Mother Tongue Spusty Ranner? It is actually a good read (though could do with a few new chapters to take into account some of the rapid changes that have taken place this century). It’s about the best Bryson book I’ve read.

hot_fiat

My boss is American, though she’s more like my American “Mom” than my manager. My nearest team member is in Ottawa & we enjoy subtly ribbing the other team members while on conference calls. Our current favourite conversation topic is about how we”re planning to go to Cuba. Winds them right up.

I do find the way my team-mates speak to waitresses, bar staff, in fact anyone who is serving them, thoroughly cringe- worthy. They’re hospitality staff, not something you’ve stood on.

To my previous post, I’d like to add “vacation”.

RustySpanner

Yeah, DD, big Bryson fan.

Love books on language – just about to start ‘The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language’ by Mark Forsyth.

Just finished ‘Filthy English: The How, Why, When And What Of Everyday Swearing’ by Pete Silverton.
    **** excellent read. 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

A few American words in your language is a small price to pay. 🙄

If it wasn’t for us Americans, you’d be speaking German! 😡 😈

Edit – and the Germans say “zee” not “zed!” 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

“The” preceding a month or season

irc

Are we going to eliminate all the words we have borrowed from other languages as well then? Like thug (Hindi), tea (Chinese), beef (old French) , berserk (Old Norse) robot Czech) etc. Or is is just the USA there is an irrational prejudice against?

piemonster

Are we going to eliminate all the words we have borrowed from other languages as well then? Like thug (Hindi), tea (Chinese), beef (old French) , berserk (Old Norse) robot Czech) etc. Or is is just the USA there is an irrational prejudice against?

Just the Yanks, possibly the Australians if they start getting above their station.

jools182
    Free Member

They’ve started saying “pissed” at work to mean annoyed

No no no no no

Oh, and these bloody adverts for new films

March twenty three indeed. Stop it. It was a British voice too.

andyrm
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s an Americanism but I’ll blame them.

Starting sentences with “so”.

nickc

My understanding is ‘Heads Up’ is a militarism rather than specifically an Americanism

‘In back of’ as the opposite of ‘in front of’ makes sense

saxabar
    Free Member

I don’t mind most of them, but “I just wanted to reach out to you” in emails is unlikely to get a response.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for us Americans, you’d be speaking German!

And if it wasn’t for the French you’d be speaking proper English!

Yes I know about Lafayette, Rochambeau, de Grasse, the Siege of Yorktown, the Battle of the Chesapeake, and the American War of Independence 🙂

fathomer

jools182 – Member
    Oh, and these bloody adverts for new films
    March twenty three indeed. Stop it. It was a British voice too.

This drives me nuts!

ebygomm
    Free Member

http://www.BBC.co.uk/news/magazine-19929249 30 of your Britishisms used by Americans

Does this make anyone feel any better?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hello is not a made up word, it’s a variant of hallo which comes from middle German and a hatful of other places according to Wiki.

I don’t know why people complain about American English replacing British English. American English IS British English, really. The number of differences words really is tiny, and even then it’s only a few simple substitutions with words which are just used somewhat less frequently. Given how much the cultures have diverged since the 17th century I think it’s amazing how consistent they are.

If someone posted on here in Scots, most English would have to read it pretty carefully and still might not catch on. I hear a lot of people complaining about not being able to understand Geordies or Glaswegians. And yet we understand Americans perfectly, and when they post on here it’s generally undetectable. They have to identify themselves.

30 of your Britishisms used by Americans

Er, their entire language is a Britishism!

DezB
    Free Member

They’ve started saying “pissed” at work to mean annoyed

I’ve seen some pillocks do that on here too. PISSED MEANS DRUNK.

mogrim

The only Americanism that actively irritates me is writing numerical dates the wrong way round, for example yesterday (3/31/14). Fortunately that hasn’t made much headway anyway else.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You sound a bit pissed* DezzieBee.

*in the American sense.

ebygomm
    Free Member

When I lived in the States I adopted a shortest word possible philosophy. So trash went in the bin, I stuck with lift and torch*, but adopted laundry and gas station.

*except in cases where suggesting I had a flaming object rather than a flashlight could be misconstrued.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I’m in the US I try and stick to my British words unless I’m talking to people I don’t know in a shop or restaurant or similar. People in the provincal Mid West seem not to have come across many foreign people before so it confuses them – I just switch to speaking American 🙂

iamroughrider
    Free Member

like alot of them, except the ‘bunch of everything’. Bunches are for grapes. ‘There’s a bunch of different frames’ aaaggghhh

iamroughrider
    Free Member

maybe US citizens use UK words that annoy their own – having watched a UK film.

Cougar

When I’m in the US I try and stick to my British words unless I’m talking to people I don’t know in a shop or restaurant or similar.

I had more of a problem with accents than words. Once took me ages to order pasta & tomato sauce, I’d to resort to “tomaydo” to get it across.

Someone should write a song about that.

Cougar

maybe US citizens use UK words that annoy their own – having watched a UK film.

That’s actually quite an interesting point. I guess it’s less of an issue in that we’ve less cultural saturation over there than the US does here, but I’ve never come across “creeping Britishisms” being an issue. My experience of the non-tourist areas’ idea of “Britishism” is to go into a bar with pictures of shamrocks and Guinness posters on the walls and do their best Dick Van Dyke impression. Cor blimey guv’ner, bollocks, (popular onanism term that gets caught in the swear filter).

I wonder idly if it’s in part down to attitude. The US think they’re right, the UK thinks everyone else is wrong. (-:

woodsman
    Free Member

I ordered a pair of forks from the states recently. I received an email asking if I wanted two forks or one, please confirm!

It’s just a bit of fun to those who are getting serious, I am quite sure we provide equal amusement to them.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The only two that really winds me up are “could care less” and “or no?” instead of not. The latter is just lazy while the former makes no sense.

razorrazoo

‘Feds’ and ‘Brother’ – seemingly always used by pseudo ‘gangsters’ who do nothing more naughty than smoke a bit of weed and drive around a bit quick in their ‘souped up’ Corsas.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

‘Fall’.

Heard here on a few occasions.

When corresponding with american friends I make a concious effort not to be influenced by their use of language or spelling, and to use the Queen’s english as much as possible. They appear to appreciate it as they regard us as “cute” and “quaint”.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

‘Feds’ and ‘Brother’ – seemingly always used by pseudo ‘gangsters’ who do nothing more naughty than smoke a bit of weed and drive around a bit quick in their ‘souped up’ Corsas.

And tragic mockney Jamie Oliver.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Agree with you on the could care less. Kitty corner is another one that just makes no sense (means diagonally opposite)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

‘Sandbox’

jonjones262
    Free Member

Film adverts that say “comingmarch10th” in one long quick sentence.

It should be “coming out on the 10th of March”

And it’s Series, not season

RustySpanner

My dad used the expression ‘Katy cornered’.
    Still in use up north, hear old folk saying it now and then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kitty corner is fairly useful. As for making no sense – have a listen to your own language for a while 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

singletrack
    mountainbiking

Cougar

The only two that really winds me up are “could care less”

To be fair though, that’s not really an Americanism. It’s a Stupidism.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

To be fair though, that’s not really an Americanism. It’s a Stupidism.

True, but I’ve never heard anyone say it except my numerous American friends. Read into that what you will 😛

tenfoot

My bad. My wife tells me she first heard it on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I’ve heard it used many times in day-to-day life and it annoys me greatly.

(as does the phrase “Annual Leave” instead of a day off – but I can’t point my finger at anyone, because I don’t know from where it originated)

jools182
    Free Member

jonjones262 – Member
    Film adverts that say “comingmarch10th” in one long quick sentence.

the don’t even use the ‘th’ bit, March ten, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhh

molgrips
    Free Member

(as does the phrase “Annual Leave” instead of a day off – but I can’t point my finger at anyone, because I don’t know from where it originated)

That’s for clarity – there are many ways to have a ‘day off’, but annual leave means a day out of your annual leave allowance.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Which americanisms would you like to see erased from the english language?’ is closed to new replies.