Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Alpine location for a mixed group?
  • rascal
    Free Member

A bit early but trying to co-ordinate a long overdue trip out for next summer.
    Trouble is it’s a fairly mixed bag of riders.
    Out of 6, 4 have been before – one of those has done multiple destinations is a probably the most ‘gnarrrr’ of all. The other 3 of the 4 have done Portes Du Soleil (I’ve been only there and 3 times). Everyone rides FS, and some are more ‘cautious’ than others (I’d pitch myself in the middle).
    Making sense so far? Good.
    Having not been for what will be 8 years I’d be happy to go there again as would the other previous visitors and the 2 virgins – equally I’d like to experience somewhere new too. Mr Gnar is adamant on returning to Les Arcs (some serious arse-clenching exposure there that isn’t at PDS) and prob won’t do PDS.

I would like us all to go to the same place at the same time even if it’s ‘neutral’ ground.
    Is there such a place or is this just destined not to happen? Where genuinely suits riders of various degrees of gung-ho-ness?
    We’ll be driving, not that that will make any difference!

mrhoppy

There’s enough not gnar in Les Arcs to kep a mixed group reasonably happy I’d have thought.

rascal
    Free Member

Yep – I would have thought them same about Les Arcs too, but the ‘cautious’ ones were scared shitless by a particular trail vid which I can’t find a link for – put it this way, you wouldn’t want to get it wrong.
    I think some links of the gentler stuff might be in order to convince them that’s where we need to go 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Found it…@4.45 😯

nickjb
    Free Member

PdS would get my vote. Plenty for everyone. If it’s not gnaar enough the you are either Steve Peat or not looking hard enough. There’s plenty of bits that’ll get even the toughest thinking twice. The best thing for a mixed group is that it is easy to ride similar areas, more or less stick together all day but each get to ride stuff you enjoy and can handle.

rascal
    Free Member

I wouldn’t disagree with that – Mr Gnar is just too gnar to entertain it though 😉

Trekster

Chatel?
    I went with what could be described a diverse group of abilities. I stuck to blue/red trails but did more of the XC/PDS type of riding including a day riding over to Les Get & back.

Northwind

rascal – Member

Yep – I would have thought them same about Les Arcs too, but the ‘cautious’ ones were scared shitless by a particular trail vid which I can’t find a link for

They have a point, you’d have to be out of your mind to take them down la varda… It’s not in the park so doesn’t have a grade but I awarded it a Holy ****. Awesome trail but, yeah.

Not sure how ideal Les Arcs is for your mixed group really- it’s a great hub, with the incredible awesomeness of Pila and La Thuile, the relatively UK-trail-centrey lower-quality-high-volume of Tignes, tons of I-would-never-find-anything-without-a-guide up above Bourg and at Sainte Foy, Val d’Isere which I’ve never made it to yet…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Les Arcs but not Les Arcs, There was a massive range in ability when we did our White Room trip and it was well catered for and it gets you to more than just Les Arcs there is an entire valley of good stuff, it also removes cooking and cleaning from the list of things to do an decision making from a large group which is the best thing ever.

zerocool

Morzine/PDs should suit everyone but if you fancy something different you could base yourself in the Bourg ST maurice area and ride Tignes and Les Arc. Plenty there from enduro/singletrack (lift assisted) to DH runs ranging from Green to Elite.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t disagree with that – Mr Gnar is just too gnar to entertain it though

You can always ship him out to Chamonix for the day. Its only an hour or so if you have the car.

Or make him ride this ridge line if he wants exposure, we were holding onto the ground walking it:

It would be a hike-a-bike, though

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Go a bit further South, try Garda.
    Done it twice with very mixed groups and always found plenty to keep everyone happy.
    It’s an easy(and cheaper) drive because you’re on the German autobahns for most of it. We typically get off the Calais end of the tunnel late evening and are on our first uplift by noon the following day.

rascal
    Free Member

Decision made after meeting at Antur Stiniog yesterday.
    5 of us going to Morzine. Driving. July next year…B&B style basis.
    How long before I can start making enquiries about prices/availability?
    Will digs be interested in bookings for then now?
    I want to get some financial commitment from the rest so they’re less inclined to go cold on the idea

dannyh
    Free Member

You wouldn’t catch me riding that stuff in the YouTube vid in a million years. For me ‘gnar’ is about riding rocky, tricky and steep trails that don’t involve instant death if you veer six inches the wrong way. The sheer threat of that trail would mean I was walking nearly all of it or mincing down it.

Here’s another crazy steep video, just for your amusement.

[video]http://vimeo.com/94686903[/video]

welshfarmer

We rode La Varda on the last day of our trip to Les Arcs in the summer. It really is awesome. The exposure is pretty intense in a couple of places but there are truly only a few metres where a fall would have any real consequences compared to any other trail. It is just a mental thing because of the distance to the valley floor below. Quite a few of our group rode almost all of it with nothing more than a dab. I am afraid to say I had to dismount (along with t a few others) on several occasions. Very glad I did it though. Definitely a highlight. Couple of beers at the bottom and then a full blown race down the tarmac afterwards made it all the more memerable 🙂

meribelmtb
    Free Member

I’d say Meribel but then I would say that.

Loads of singletrack, very little queuing varied terrain, more natural trails than man made bike park stuff, epic ridgeline descents, FS or HT accessible. More trails due to open next season and the riding improves year on year.

Stuff like this:

saxabar
    Free Member

Yes, same as Welshfarmer – definitely not a trail for beginners but it’s not as scary as it looks. Done it two or three times but not a chance of me cleaning it (I walked a couple of sections).

Should add – I took the missus to Les Arcs and she rode bits of trail mixed with fire road. Had a good time – I think!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Alpine location for a mixed group?’ is closed to new replies.