Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Which 4 x 4 for the school run?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just dropped Jnr FD off for his first day at pre school.

How ignorant I was, I just thought all this talk off 4 x 4’s and yummy mummies was just urban myth, but no turning up in my 2004 Mondeo diesel I was sooo out of place.

Which 4 x 4 would you recommend? It looked like the new Land Rover 4 x 4 (in white) was the one to be seen in, closely followed by the big Audi thing.

😐

donsimon
    Free Member

Hummer?

nickf
    Free Member

Silver Volvo XC90 used to be the clear winner at my son’s school. Shooting waistcoats and Hunters much in evidence.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, the Audi Q thing, followed by the X5 are the most practical solutions.

higgo
    Free Member

Can I suggest something that looks like a 4×4 but is actually only 2wd. Then put low-profile run-flat tyres on it.

You’ll fit in fine round here.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Choose whichever will look best parked on the blatantly obvious yellow zig-zag no parking markings right outside the school, as this is where most 4×4 owners insist on dumping their vehicles …

yossarian
    Free Member

Audi Q7 if you can afford it, followed by a Q5 if you can’t.

TheFlyingOx

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fM_wX8p2fU[/video]

You know it makes sense.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Nissan Juke or was it Joke?

zokes
    Free Member

Unimog?

Markie
    Free Member

Here it’s the range rover vogue, q7 or lexus Rx450h. The Porsche thing is a left field choice and you opt for an xc90 if you’re down on your luck.

Liking the unimog, wonder what it’s ncap is…

willard

For you, probably very good. For other things in your way (trees, elephants, pedestrians) probably not that good.

Have you considered the new Range Rover Evoke? Get it in white and it would fit in really well!

markrtw
    Free Member

Lamborghini LM02 – makes your presence known.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Clearly one of these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quu5Bi5QEPI[/video]

crazy-legs

I used to live in Dulwich, S.London and it was always interesting watching the car of choice for the school run. Spoilt round there really, loads of very well-thought-of schools from nursery/infant right up to secondary all very close to each other which meant traffic chaos, parents trying to get Volvo XC90’s round each other down narrow roads.

A few years ago it was mostly Volvo XC90’s, a few BMW X5’s with a fairly even split of Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 down the bottom end.

Then it moved to Toyota Prius and Smart cars.

Now, there is a very significant percentage of parents doing the school run in bikes with Tag-a-Longs, utility bikes etc. It’s suddenly become the hip, cool choice with lots of yummy-mummy’s in cycle chic clothing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are there no roads near the school? 😉

Be different though. Either the only one that counts (range rover), something really whacky (some suggestions above) or be sensible and think about the fuel and servicing costs and have a smug grin every morning.

toby1

Victoria Beckham spec Evoque is the only way forward, probably best not to take them to school at all if you can’t take them in the Evoque.

Friend of ours suggested getting one recently – Jesus did we give him a hard time!

jp-t853

When I commute I pass the local private School in Penrith. Every morning I have the theme tune from Men in Black running through myhead as big black Range Rover type 4×4’s roll past. Each one has a mum sat up front with big sunglasses on and a little kid in the back.

Last week I saw a white RR Evoque (that seems to be the only colour they come in). My tune will have to change to Bob Dylan ‘Times they are a Changing’ I think

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Audi Quattro?

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a crying shame we can’t tax the school run. Bigger bratwagon = more tax. Incentives to those walking, cycling and using the bus.

richmars

Mostly X5’s and XC90’s, but there is one lad comes in a Hummer. (It’s pretty wild out in the fens.)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Which 4 x 4 would you recommend? It looked like the new Land Rover 4 x 4 (in white) was the one to be seen in, closely followed by the big Audi thing.

Nah, you’ve missed the point Funky. The Mondeo is perfectly fine, what you need to do is removed the drivers seat so you are in fact sitting so far down you have no chance of actually seeing over the steering wheel, and drive like you are completely out of control of your 2 tonne vehicle. Then stop right outside the school gates ,preferably on the double yellow lines (or bonus points for the zebra crossing…) so FuncyDunc junior doesn’t have to walk more than 3 yards to school.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s a crying shame we can’t tax the school run. Bigger bratwagon = more tax. Incentives to those walking, cycling and using the bus.

If the schools are within walking distance, if cycling to school in an urban environment isn’t too risky, if the bus fits in with your work patterns…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why? We live 3 miles down country lanes from the primary school my 3 girls go to and there is no bus service anywhere nearby – can you tell me how i should get them to and from school?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

3 miles? A bicycle or three sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

maxray
    Free Member

a very significant percentage of parents doing the school run in bikes with Tag-a-Longs, utility bikes etc. It’s suddenly become the hip, cool choice with lots of yummy-mummy’s in cycle chic clothing.

our daughters primary have made quite an effort to encourage cycling your kids to school, no mass of 4×4’s etc outside, hopefully their numbers are not indicative of the quality of teaching the school provides 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

3 miles?

Just imagine what fantastical technological or evolutionary leaps forward might one day give humans the ability to travel such incredible distances … maybe not in my lifetime, sadly

mansonsoul
    Free Member

😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

3 miles? A bicycle or three sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Oh why didn’t I think of that? A 8 mile round trip (turns out its further than I thought) every day for 3 primary school kids, carrying book bags, lunch bag and PE kit and in all weathers down an unrestricted country road that is used as a rat-run by cars, vans and lorries.
    Yep, that’ll work. I think I’ll stick with to using the Golf – I look forward to your tax proposal 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Bigger bratwagon = more tax

Well, bigger cars generally cost more to tax, use more fuel (therefore more tax), cost more in the first place (more VAT) etc.

So, they do pay more tax already don’t they?

Plus I suspect people don’t go out and buy a big 4WD just for the school run, I suspect most have that car and also use it for the school run.

PS. No kids and no 4WD, btw.

toby1

sharkbait – if you are using a golf and carrying 3 kids why get involved, this was just a lighthearted go at users of 4×4’s transporting kids on local roads, not you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Because we also have an XC90 that was bought 9 years ago when it was one of the few cars wide enough to fit 3 child seats across the back.
    the Golf was bought 16 months ago to use most of the time to reduce fuel costs but the Volvo is still use occasionally.

a lighthearted go at users of 4×4’s transporting kids on local roads

If we were to be run into by some idiot in his Corsa I’d much rather my children were in the Volvo than the Golf.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

If we were to be run into by some idiot in his Corsa I’d much rather my children were in the Volvo than the Golf.

Safety through superior firepower!

sharkbait
    Free Member

percieved increased safety through great height/mass….. probably wrong though.
    I should also add that the Golf replaced a Volvo v70 which actually had much worse fuel consumption that the XC90 – but nobody’s going to flame estate drivers are they!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Which 4 x 4 for the school run?’ is closed to new replies.