Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which 29er for SS?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

I am thinking of taking the 29er plunge and swapping my trusty On-One Inbred Reynolds 853 SS edition for a SS 29er frame. I was thinking about just getting the 29er Inbred but was wondering about the Scandal 29er. How compliant is the Scandal to ride compared with an Inbred? I’ll be using the bike with a suspension fork and it’ll be used all through winter and some marathon races in the fairer months so I don’t need a heavy behemoth of a frame. Any other ideas? Only other thing is I don’t want to use a chain tensioner so vertical dropouts would be nice. And price wise in the same category as the On-Ones.

ssboggy

Second hand Singular Swift

mattjg
    Free Member

Only other thing is I don’t want to use a chain tensioner so vertical dropouts would be nice.

EBB.

khani
    Free Member

El Mariachi 2 from Triton cycles for £325, the alternator dropouts work a treat and they ride luvverley.. 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

That Salsa does look nice. Anybody got a Scandal that can describe how it rides? Ideally compared to an Inbred. EBB is an option but my LBS think with my record of destroying parts it is not for me. Like I said I ride the SS most days in all weather conditions this time of year.

Stoner
    Free Member

I find my scandal to be far more compliant and springy than “forum voodoo” about Al bikes would suggest. Certainly far more “give” than my old inbred. I think Brant said somethig about “splay”. not sure if he still holds to that theory though 😉

Anyway, scandal is a great frame. If they have slotted or sliding drop outs Id go with that though, looks neater. I have surly tuggnut on slotted drop outs (O-O Ti29er). Arguably my scandal rides “softer” than my Ti29er 😯

RoterStern
    Free Member

Anyway, scandal is a great frame. If they have slotted or sliding drop outs Id go with that though, looks neater.

If I understand the On One website correctly they are doing a 29er Scandal with convertible dropouts.

Stoner
    Free Member

so you’ll need to get the right swap outs when you order
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCNCSO/on_one_cnc_anodized_swap_out

best to speak to On-One to make sure you get the right ones.

jezandu
    Free Member

Yes you are right the scandal comes with vertical drop outs and it’ll cost £30 to convert. £15 each side. I’d love to be able to comment on how it rides but I’m just finishing off the build of my own scandal. Got to say you have a limited ed inbred and yours does feel a little different from the standard inbreds due to being from different steel. I am somewhat jealous!

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

johnny

having started the other SS thread referred to here, I might well have a cheap GF Rig for sale in a few weeks! (SS specific, EBB, takes up to 100mm fork….)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er for SS?’ is closed to new replies.