Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • ss-able 29er hardtail frames???
  • johnny

As above- I’ve been riding ss singlespeed for most of the summer/ winter so far but i’ve come to the conclusion that i’d, and like the option to run the bike 1×10. I’m not interested in having more bikes, it’ll just mean more parts, etc, or more swapping. Something race-able, but fun, based around a 100mm fork i reckon. I like steel, but the lightness of carbon is appealing; having said that, by current SS frame is Alu, and fine.

Here’s my list so far; roughly in order of expense:
    Anything obvious I’ve missed, or comments please!

Yeti Big Top
    Niner Air 9
    Pivot Les
    Niner SIR9
    Canfield Nimble 9
    Santa Cruz Highball (AL)
    On One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    Singular Swift
    Pipedream Skookum
    On one Scandal

dickie
    Free Member

Pace RC129

Clink

What’s your current frame?

johnny

ah, good point! i know there was one i’d forget. The Pace probably wins on looks!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My choice would be the Samta Cruz as they’re supposed to have put a lot of effort into making the adjustable dropouts work well and aluminium feels racier than steel in my opinion.

My Tomac Flint feels great to ride but the eccentric BB is always a fight to get adjusted and changes the saddle/pedals relationship cumulatively over time.

Clink

Of your list I would say the Nimble 9 is the most ‘fun’ due to slightly different geo.

accu
    Free Member
    johnny

At the moment i’m riding a rigid Fisher Rig. It’s been ideal to run rigid SS in the chilterns slop, but when/if it dries up next summer, or for racing, 1×10 with a 100mmm fork would be ideal.

johnny

That QH ticks the “versatility” Box! any idea about dealers/price?

ska-49
    Free Member

Chumba HX2

The QH comes in at around £840. You order directly from them in Germany. Nice guys to deal with.

Clink

QH is a great frame (I owned their Slim Jim frame) but NOT raceable! Probably 6lbs at least.

What is your priority – raceable or fun? QH is also designed around 120-140mm fork (although it will run 100).

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

I built my scandal up last week and it feels great, I got talked into buying a 2 degree slackset for it aswell which seems to work well for me. I run it with the horizontal drop outs for ss and it was all hassle free. I think the gearing is a bit big but I will just have to MTFU.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

How about a heavily discounted Highball Carbon?

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Santa-Cruz-Highball-Carbon-Frame-4619-109-0.html

FWIW, I have a Scandal and its the best VFM frame I have owned plus it has great geometry in stock form.

johnny

i’m probably more aiming to the XC/racing idea, as I have a very capable 160mm trail bike as well, and a Cotic Soul for ragging. -However, if the build is right, the Soul might end up being “retired”… 😥

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Back in the summer there were rumours that the Kinesis FF29 waas going to be made available with swappable dropouts. It’s had cracking reviews but we’re still waiting for the SS version.

Clink

Back in the summer there were rumours that the Kinesis FF29 waas going to be made available with swappable dropouts. It’s had cracking reviews but we’re still waiting for the SS version.

I e-mailed them last week; they’re not doing a ss version 🙁

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Pace:

Black SS

Cream fat front:

Cream 1×9:

I found the Pace great in all the above disguises,

Although I going to finish my El Mariachi this afternoon after a trip to the LBS

khani
    Free Member

El Mariachi

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Nice bike Shep 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

Nimble 9 …..but as you can see I’m a little biased

JRTG
    Free Member

How about a niner one 9? They come with both dropouts, cable clamps for full cable routing (bolts are on the down tube) silly light and rides very well if a little harsh due to such fat Ali tubes.

teddy
    Free Member

kona unit 2-9
    cheap as chips.

johnny

Agh! too much choice!!

I’m very keen on the Santa Cruz, and the Pace… Both different in their own ways, but in the end, it’s about aesthetics!

Alternately, of course i’ve just done a little wishlist at On-one: Scandal in green, slackset, swapouts, carbon post and seatclamp £269 😯

johnny

Anyone have experience of both EBB and sliding dropout systems? I like the EBB, but it’s heavy and mine creaks…

LeeW

You can get SS dropouts for the Hard Eddie on the front page. I’ve got one waiting to be built up, they look great.

johnny

oh bejasus, i hadn’t seen that Intense… I like a nice straight- tubed bit of steel, but if you’re going to work in carbon, i reckon you don’t go wrong with a big sweeping toptube-into-seatstays style…

that might be a snippet above my budget though…!

messiah
    Free Member

Have you looked at the new Whyte 29er?

Clink

Have you looked at the new Whyte 29er?

Not available frame-only.

john_l
    Free Member

Lynskey SL. Now that they’ve beefed up the seat tube 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

You could always try one of these if in your budget?

takisawa2

Too much choice. 😉
    You didnt mention the Inbred. The sliding version will take a mech as well. I swapped mine for this…

IMAG0420 by pten2106, on Flickr

And its lovely. Not had any creaking or problems with the EBB, but to be honest, I preffered the sliding dropouts on the Inbred I had
    before. If I was spending the money again I’d be buying the Salsa. The Niner is nice, but approx 2.3768 times what it should really cost.

firestarter
    Free Member

I love the drop outs on this would work equally as well ss or geared

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Nice bike Shep

Cheers Ben,

They where nice to ride. But the Salsa is just a little more practical.

haggis1978

Kona Raijin

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

I must say,though I’m fan or “proper Paces”,these look great

martinh
    Free Member

You could add the Transition Trans Am 29 and Jones to your list

ds3000
    Free Member

Christmas is coming, so it’s got to be the Santa Cruz!

accu
    Free Member

racing QH..or better racing SJ frame..

(pic from 2soulscycles.com)

Candodavid
    Free Member

^^^^ Mine arrives tomorrow 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘ss-able 29er hardtail frames???’ is closed to new replies.