Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Where would you live in the US?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Not planning on moving, just thinking really. Being a scouser with the obvious Irish heritage, I’d probably feel more at home around Boston. But then the climate of California would be nice. I’d love the scenery of Utah and the lower crime of somewhere like Salt Lake City. I’d also fancy the terrain (and the rain) of Washington state.

So I don’t know really…

nicko74

California is the default choice for many – for the combination of job opportunities, coastline, outdoor activities both summer and winter, and so on. Personally I hear you on Utah, although I think after a while you’d like more excitement (and hence probably drive down to Vegas! 🙂 ). I have a friend in Boston, and another from there, and they both love it.

Personally I’m giving Toronto a try, and loving it so far. It’s perhaps not as exciting as some other options, but it has a lot of benefits 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Colorado all that is missing is the sea, Southern Oregon is nice, California only if you had shed loads of cash.

No where in the middle.

Southern Carolina was great, Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BillMC

Manhattan (West 42nd St). Boston is nice but a bit on the quiet side.

CountZero

Certainly not Texas, Kansas or any of the large flat boring states in the middle, commonly known as Tornado Alley, Florida, Louisiana, because of the Hurricanes, or California because of the earthquakes. Illinois, North Dakota and the area around the Great Lakes because of the bitter cold winters. Possibly New England, upper New York State, Maine Virginia, or Maryland, but most likely Vermont or Washington State. Oh, and certainly nowhere near Yellowstone National Park and that damned great volcanic caldera it’s sitting on.
    Edit: of course, Oregon and Montana but particularly Oregon would be high contenders, Portland, Oregon is very cycle friendly.

yossarian
    Free Member

Portland is very nice and exceptionally bike friendly

surfer
    Free Member

Loddrik, spread your wings… Move to the Wirral!!

Miami because its the only place in the US I’ve been too. it was fantastic though. Stayed in a 5 star hotel on the beach.

GJP
    Free Member

NYC – Manhattan, 1 Union Square 14th and Broadway. Pretty much everything/everywhere you want to do/go is within walking distance. (but no biking).

trailmonkey

Santa Brooklyn

CountZero

I have been to Colorado, Vail in fact, for the ’94 Worlds, and LA in ’93. Liked both, but the thin air at 8000ft takes some getting used to, and LA is very flat and mind-buggeringly huge, and just too spread out to make it a nice place to live, especially with the smog. Santa Monica’s not bad with the Pacific right on the doorstep, but I’d prefer Oregon for the climate and scenery.

nacho
    Free Member

Oh, and certainly nowhere near Yellowstone National Park and that damned great volcanic caldera it’s sitting on.
    ^^^^^^
    Count Zero, I wouldn’t worry about that, if that volcanoe goes and you are anywhere on the north american continent you can probably kiss this planet goodbye, even life this side of the pond might not survive

ianv
    Free Member

Springdale Utah was nice not many job prospects though. Also, Santa cruz, tahoe, bend Oragon.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Jackson Hole

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Considering a move to Portland, Oregon.

metalheart
    Free Member

Loved Boulder, Leadville and Crested Butte in Co. So much I’m hoping to go back next year.

Being to young to have been a hippy I have always wanted to visit California for some reason… Buttermilks, Bishop, Joshua Tree, Yosemite. These names all have a magic ring to me…

So could I split my time between Co for 4 months in the summer and the rest in Ca?

mattstreet

Portland would be my choice – very bike friendly, 0% sales tax, and loads of microbreweries 🙂

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Canada 😉

My wife’s American, and having spent plenty of time travelling back and forth living with family, I’ve come to the conclusion that to make a decent life over there you’re going to have to be working 2 jobs, with very little holiday …and hope to god you don’t ever need to visit a Doctor or the Hospital.

nbt

POrtland / Seattle kind of area, for me. Beer, mountains, trees, what’s not to like?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

But for a fantasy life, either Oregon or Arizona 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

Oregon first choice, Eugene/Bend/Portland, second choice Washington state, somewhere Seattle-ish. San Francisco at third place

tails
    Free Member

Portland or San Diego!

allthepies
    Free Member

Somewhere West. California/Washingston State/Utah

iDave
    Free Member

Santa Fe in New Mexico or Laguna Beach in CA or Half Moon Bay near San Francisco

souldrummer
    Free Member

As others have said; Portland Oregan. Really good feel about the place. Been there a few times and, of all of America, it’s the only place I felt I could actually live.

Did the Seattle to Portland ride one year. Really well organised ride of 200 miles in 2 days. Mind you some did it in one!!!

lister

Hawaii

Looks lovely. 🙂

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Austin, Texas – Really nice city, had all of the good things about Texas whilst socially liberal and little of the overt bible bashing that is prevalent in other parts of the state.

San Francisco, California – The Brighton of America! Skateboarding, punk rock, anything goes cosmopolitan free for all. Quite expensive, but you can live just across the bay in Oakland for a fair whack less.

Portland, Oregon – Cheap to live, beautiful scenery, indie rock central, good beer (micro-brewery capial of the US).

I used to visit Seattle, Washington a lot whilst I was living in Vancouver. I quite liked that too, but not as much as the other cities I mentioned.

I’d give the Mid West a miss really with the possible exception of Chicago. New York and LA are a little too hectic for my liking too. Boston is quite an interesting city and there’s a real sense of history there, but, the East Coast urban sprawl does nothing for me.

To me, my own personal little ‘American dream’ involves the West Coast, cowboy country or the untamed wilds of the Pacific North West.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Haven’t been all over – but of where I did go Nothern California – and specifically the Sanra Cruz area

I just liked the place – atmosphere reminded me of Brighton (where I live now) – except with the addition of Sandy Beaches and proper surfing. Obviously good riding, but also a real bike culture in the town too. Seemed very liberal etc compared to the rest of the states. Also there is something about the N Cal coastline which I love.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Another for Portland, my folks lived there for 3 years, loved it. Not that pricey, 0% tax, mount hood 40 mins one way for 3/4 of the year skiing or MTB and the beach and hour the other way.

We hired harleys and rode around mount hood (150 miles) one day, magical times!

teef
    Free Member

Why would you want to live in a country with no healthcare, welfare or proper legal system – detention without trial and torture.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Where Why would you live in the US?

Fixed the title for you.

With so many great places to travel to and live why pick the US?

BB

Pigface
    Free Member

Because its bloody huge and has got some amazing stuff to see.

teef
    Free Member

Because its bloody huge and has got some amazing stuff to see.

That’s what you have holidays for

Militant_biker

Portland, Oregon – bike friendly it may be, but all the local parks and forest next to the city keep bikes to the doubletracks. Apparently there are no decent singletrack trails within an hour of the city.

I’m in the Mid-Atlantic, corner of Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Here it’s pretty flat, but hundreds of miles of singletrack within a short ride. Central Pennsylvania has some epic riding spots too.

I hear good things about the riding in Vermont and elsewhere in New England. I loved being in Boston too, very friendly city, very European feeling.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Greenwich CT

Afluent, policeman to help you cross the roads, it’s own private island with beach for residents only,another beach, and your only 50 mins from NYC on the train.

LycraLout
    Free Member

Southern Oregon is nice, California only if you had shed loads of cash

Ashland, Medford and Grant’s Pass are all close to the California border and the Pacific Coast, with some magic white water on the Rogue River. Brilliant people, great scenery, fantastic country, rubbish food though.
    There’s still gold on the Rogue, you can stake a claim and mine as long as you’re resident in Oregon (we found gold in the river, next to an old mine)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London, Old England. 🙂

SaxonRider

Quebec. But if I had to go south of the border, anywhere in New England.

br
    Free Member

I can think of many, many places I’d not want to live in the US – mostly the places I’ve visited/worked…

Florida comes pretty high up the list, along with the Mid West.

midlifecrashes

Somewhere among the minor(for USA) mountain ranges probably. Poconos, Appalachians, Cascades, Blue Ridge, Olympics. Still not been to Texas or California though, nor far into New England. There’s lots to like. We took my brother in law on holiday to Seattle five years ago and he promptly moved there (Tacoma actually). Portland is indeed nice, but last time I went it was unbearable in a heatwave, and we abandoned the trip and headed for the coast where seals swam around us catching sardines while we paddled.

langy
    Free Member

I’d move to back to Colorado with little thought TBH.

Would also consider PacNW (Oregon, Washington, British Columbia etc), New England, most of the Mountain States (Alberta and Montana through Utah and Colorado down to New Mexico). California, mid-West and South hold little appeal to live, although I’m sure great to visit.

Most of the mountain states have a more transient population with the many folks coming in to spend the summer riding, climbing, rafting, etc and then the winter for the snow; you get a pretty diverse group of society. Makes for a far less stereo-typical “American” culture than you find in the Mid-West or the ghettos* you find in the big coastal cities.

However, having already been there and done that to some extent, I’d rather do South America (Chile, Argentina in particular) or parts of Asia – Japan at the top of that list.

*as in one ethnic background, keeping mainly to themselves, i.e little italy, chinatown, little poland etc not the “Rap” version…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Where would you live in the US?’ is closed to new replies.