Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to start in the Peaks?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I fancy heading over to the Peaks at some point. What good recomendations do you have as riding locations? The area is huge, and there looks to be good trails to be had everywhere… I hear the Hope valley mentioned quite often. Is that where it’s at?

I’ll be coming from the east, so the eastern side is perferable.

Ideas?

SBrock
    Free Member

Where in the east are you coming from?

Pook

I’d say join us on the Peaks Pootle on February 25th. That’d be a good intro!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/peaks-pootle-saturday-25th-february

nosedive
    Free Member

depends really what you want to do. You cant go far wrong if you start in edale, and that works by car or train.

Duffer
    Free Member

Where in the east are you coming from?

I’m coming over from the Lincolnshire Highlands….

Thanks for the offer, Pook, but i have plans that weekend. Is it a regular occurance? Perhaps i can tag along in early spring?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Pook

Duffer – always welcome. We do one every few months, though I reckon the next after this will be summertime as I’m getting married in the spring!

Keep an eye out for PEAKS POOTLE on the Bike Forum pages.

SBrock
    Free Member

Hey I’m in Lincoln, always looking for someone to share petrol with m in the dark pek every week

Pook

…also, email me. I have some good gpx routes for you or will happily create one to order.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Pook I’m up in the Peak D at Easter for first proper look around so would it be ok to drop you an email re your gpx routes??

BadlyWiredDog

The Vertebrate Publishing Dark Peak guidebook is really good. Has all the classic conventional loops in the area plus good, clear, directions, OS mapping, nice photos etc. Good investment if you’re going to ride here more than a couple of times.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up BWD. Will check it out…..

nickhart
    Free Member

You have so much to go at, big climbs, big rocky descents, technical single track, a few fire roads but not many, sheep tracks bridleways and a few bits of woodland.
    What do you want?
    Bring reasonable tyres, there’s plenty that will ding a rim. Weather is extremely changeable and much more exposed than a few folk give it credit for. Bring cash for cafe stops, it’s easier, and a sense of humour if you’re out with pook, I hear it’s essential!
    Hope is the home of eighteen bikes and the curry cabin which is a fantastic little place. Also the woodbine cafe which used to do great cake, not been there for ages though.
    Hathersage is home to little johns grave if you like that sort of thing, outside which is a purveyor of all things climbing and outdoor but not biking.
    ladybower is a good starting point as you can ride round the reservoir and there are loads of trails that go from there.
    Get a map, it’s like a paper gps system, no need for plugging in. A cup of tea and some toast and look at the contour lines.
    Have fun

Duffer
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers all! Some good recommendations coming out.

nickhart – I’m always up for the singletrack/rock descents. A lot of my riding prior to now has been in the Quantocs/South Wales, so rocks are kinda my thing! Monster climbs are ok, but only if they bring great rewards! I’m not a climbing enthusiast by any means, but i appreciate that big climbs come with the territory.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Monster climbs are ok, but only if they bring great rewards! I’m not a climbing enthusiast by any means, but i appreciate that big climbs come with the territory.

this is pretty much me too, and i’d say that the area around ladybower reservoir/hope valley (just on the other side of win hill from the res) will definitely not disappoint.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to start in the Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.