Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to source a bleed kit online? (think Giant MPH)
  • mrdestructo

I have these brakes, are they MPH2? They get a bit funny after I’ve had the bike upside down needing the levers pumped a bit before power comes back, and it’s a bit random really. Bought s/h, not sure when they were last bled. There was too much fluid in them when I got them and I had to leak some out to fit new pads so I’m assuming that’s water absorption?

EDIT: changed pic to mine

Anyhow, where can I find proper kits online to bleed them, or are there an alternatives? Not sure how much fluid I need to totally push the waste through either.

Frankers
    Free Member

I did have one but gave it away. It’s just a connector that you need, can you not try your nearest Giant dealer?

james
    Free Member

Sounds like they have air in them, when you pump them they air goes to the top of the reservior, much like many other brakes. Guessing you air got in when you let fluid out?
    Given they’re a closed system (you have to adjust for pad wear, theyre fairly easy to overheat) youll want them to bled up properly, wheres most auto adjust open systems youll mostly get away with them having air in them in the UK, and just avoid turnign the bike upside down

I couldnt find my giant bleed kit last time I wanted to bleed them (was suppsed to come with the bike, was supplied when enquired about how to bleed).
    Turns out the avid bleed kit (IIRC the formula one might also work?) has the same reservior fitting, then you just want a pipe (ideally clear) to fit onto the caliper bleed screw and into your waste fluid container

EDIT: your pics are showing to me now, your lever looks identical to my MPH3s (off a 2006 XTC), but your caliper completely different (mine are IS mount not post mount)
    I know they updated them to MPH root, but I thought they were supposed to be an open system so they wouldn’t be able to use the older levers with the adjuster wheel?

Also it doesnt look like the pads of the caliper line up with the rotor? Is the rotor a giant one or not?
    I know my brakes used a giant 164mm (not 160mm) rotor, though the braking surface was really wide such that a 160mm rotor would ‘work’ but not with rotor to spare on the inside like yours do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrdestructo

My nearest Giant lbs has supplied me with two different sized spokes for a Deore/D521 wheel over two trips that didn’t match the correct length and my rear wheel isn’t amazingly strong as a result. I have more confidence asking here first, But yeah, I’ll pop in tomorrow and ask I guess, as long as I don’t come back with something the wrong size.

@James, the sticker on the caliper has the number “2” on it, which I’m hoping means “MPH2”. I’ve used random rotors (180mm on the front) the pads strike the right area.

james
    Free Member

I usually unscrew an intact spoke of the same length from the wheel for a bike shop to measure against, they cant get it wrong then

mrdestructo

Re: the spoke situation. Yes, I took good ones in from my wheel both times and they didn’t have spokes to fit a Deore/D521 either time and supplied me with a different sized one each time. Make of that what you will.

james
    Free Member

I see

ianv
    Free Member

Cyclo do a universal kit, crc sell them. Mph are one of the brands quoted as being compatible.

mrdestructo

Well, they’re almost 3x the price of the unbranded ‘compatible’ kits on ebay, but thanks for pointing it out. I’ll see what’s in town tomorrow and then head over to ebay I guess.

fasthaggis

I have a set of these that I was given (and used on my sons bike).
    The screw in the lever pot is a standard thread ( can’t remember which just now ), so at the time I just drilled a hole through a bolt ( cut the head off it) and put a tube and syringe on it.
    Did the bleed in a Motorcycle type way ,keeping the syringe vertical and just pumping the fluid through with the lever,then locking the calliper off with the lever pulled in.Worked ok,but he has since trashed the front lever,so I swapped the levers for a Hayes set.

mrdestructo

I think it’s M5 thread. There is a need for an o-ring on the nipple though? What I’ve seen says to wind in and out the adjuster barrel for the pads 3x and it should force any air bubbles out, rather than the tied back lever method. but we’ll se ein practise.

Incidentally, the front hose has been replaced with a braided one, which is somewhat stiff and doesn’t come away from the lever at the best angle. Guess it’ll survive the abuse it meets.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

We can supply you with a bleed kit for Giant MPH brakes if you contact us via our website.

We’ve sold a few to customers already and we will soon be listing a Giant specific bleed kit online.

Epic Bleed Solutuons

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to source a bleed kit online? (think Giant MPH)’ is closed to new replies.