Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to sell Leica kit?
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

F in law was a Leica collector, when he died some years ago I was given an M3, lens and case, all in excellent nick. It's not being used, if I wanted to sell it where's the best place?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Answer: to me for £5 😉

Seriously I would buy a couple of Photog mags or search the web for Leica forums and ask there. Its a very collectable bit of kit that should be easy to sell in the right place. Don't try Ebay as their fees are more than an auction house would charge!

SSP

aP
    Free Member

Buy ap or something similar, for leica I normally go to RG Lewis.

Hadge
    Free Member

Some shops may give a decent price for Leica kit, especially if it's mint so maybe worth a try. I think Grays Of Westminster, although being a Nikon dealer will be interested in it and also Mifsuds. Get a copy of Amateur Photographer and look in the back at the shops selling kit as some buy for cash and some sell on a comission basis as well. Ebay is still ok for selling stuff like that but check what other Leica gear is going for before you list them and put a reserve on them too.

Hadge
    Free Member

In answer the eBay and it's fee's play the "game". If I want to sell anything expensive and know I could get hit with fees etc I list in the advert "item is being advertised elsewhere" and what this does is sort of imply I'm open to offers. Yes I know it's not exactly right and honest but like you say, ebay and Paypal have a strangle hold at the moment and there are ways around them, you just have to be clever. I used to see this on other listings and I always found the seller willing to sell off ebay and so that's why I did it too.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I had a quick look in AP and must admit I had forgotten Grays – trouble is it's a dangerous place to walk into (bought my D80 from there with a different/more expensive lens than intended).

LeeW

Have you tried the Leica forums yet. There used to be a clasifieds section when I used it about a year ago. If not you can always get some advice.

fontmoss
    Free Member

talkphotography forum or try ffordes as they have a wide range of second hand stuff (or can sell on comission. let me know if fancy a swap for medium format bronica 😀

PePPeR

This is exactly the same sort of problem I'm having, and although Ebay and Paypals fees are a fortune, the market they get your product seen in is incredible!

I sold my wifes Volkswagen Camper on EBay last week and we had over 200 watchers and nearly 5000 page views in a week, all of those people were interested and had actively searched for a Volkswagen camper in the Ebay search bar, so the faces that see your adverts on ebay are a known quality!

Though in my case I have over 100 cameras to find a market for!!!!!

oldgrump08
    Free Member

fontmoss – sorry won't swap, not until the lottery win comes up and I can build my darkroom! And then i would keep the leica anyway 😉

pepper – 100???? I'm off eBay/paypal at the mo', feel they're taking the rip even more than they used to. Which is a problem because I've got plenty of stuff I want to sell…..

penac

Richard Caplan in London sell a lot of 2nd hand Leica stuff, I think they do commission sales as well

PePPeR

My Father was a bit of a camera collector,

and seems to have collected quite a few cameras along the way, a lot of them are at the cheaper end of the camera world, a lot of Russian 35mm cameras but quite a few are good cameras.

I'm just starting to catalogue all of the cameras and ephemera that he has gathered over the years.

Its very funny really because my mother never had any idea of just how many cameras he had bought over the years.

dosniner
    Free Member

Try Aperture just off new oxford st. They buy/sell leica,nikon canon.Nice coffee shop whilst you drool over cameras!

ski
    Free Member

America or Japan used to be the best markets for German camera's 😉

Retailers will be looking for a minimum of 40% return on their investment, some sharks about in the trade so be quite wary.

I used buy & sell classic camera gear years back, but I was a nice shark 😉

Ebay has pretty much killed the trade.

Still have some of the old Leica & McKeown's price guides, if you want to price some of the stuff up?

fejling
    Free Member

I use Harrison Cameras in Sheffield for all of my Leica purchases these days but have used ffordes in the past too. Both great companies to deal with.

beanum

This site might give you an idea of prices (in USD)…

Leica Rumours

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to sell Leica kit?’ is closed to new replies.