Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Suggestions on where to go biking for a year?
  • fejling
    Free Member

Due to the rather likely scenario of loosing my main work contract at the end of this year I’m thinking of selling up, buying a campervan and taking a year off to travel around Europe mountain biking and getting into adventures while the economy hopefully recovers.  I was thinking of heading off on my travels in February and wondered if anyone has suggestions on where to go for out of season biking?

My initial guess at what to do is head to the Algarve for their mild winter but not sure what mountain biking is like round there, then as the weather improves head over to Granada for a month before heading north to the Pyrenees, then drive over to the French Alps in June for the summer season.  That’s as far as I have got so far.

The more I think about this the more I’m kind of hoping I loose my contract!

pigyn
    Free Member

Scotland.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no idea of the practicalities, but how about heading over the equator for thier summer?

If I had a year off any a funtioning knee I'd be over in Oz/NZ till june, then BC.

stumpy01

I was going to suggest Australia or New Zealand – take your bike & buy yourself a camper van when you get over there.

uplink
    Free Member

Andalucia generally has a good winter climate – the riding isn't bad either

Jamie
    Free Member

NZ. My mate is their currently and says it is biking nirvana.

peachos
    Free Member

fly to bc for a few months riding, getting your van sorted/kitted out etc then go south. washington, idaho, utah, nevada, cali, arizona for a few months, accumulating bike spares and things that would be harder to find on the final stage of your trip which would involve some doubtless amazing riding (and cultural experiences) in the likes of peru, bolivia, chilie.

can i come?

eviljoe
    Free Member

Another vote for NZ

did it several years ago, year off, baught a dodgy camper van over there, nursed it around both islands and rode some of the most amazing, uncrowded trails ever… would do it again at the drop of a hat

woodey
    Free Member

Sardinia not bad in Feb, some chap of here has a B&B there I think. Ferry from Genova

uplink
    Free Member

Isn't there some sort of street market somewhere in Oz that you can go to to buy & sell campervans?

seem to recall seeing it on a TV program

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Yeah, it's in Sydney, and TBH its grim (lot's of folk waiting around to sell their vehicles in order to raise the money for flights home, etc, in order not to accept the (low) prices offerred by the guy that runs the business.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As others have said, I'd be doing the NZ thing without a second thought if I was in your position

richc
    Free Member

I am about to be made redundant, and given a large wedge of cash and I am really tempted to do this. However my missus is in a good job she doesn't want to leave ……

RHSno2
    Free Member

Thats what I did 5/6 years ago (jesus…time flies).

Um. There is an article about it in Singletrack somewhere BUT I recommend the following: Its what I planned to do but other things got in the way 🙂

Europe is HUGE. HUGE, so much to do. So many cultures and other things to see. I love it and thats why I stayed here.

Start south obviously. So Spain, Sardinia

Then move North as Spring comes. Here are my hotspots to visit and times.

South of France (06) So many trails and locations here. A life time worth of exploring. Sospel, Peille, North of Nice, Grasse, Border with Italy. All mountain riding and DH if you want.

Into Italy. Finale has lots of riding but there is WAY more around these parts. The beauty of travelling is you'll be able to follow locals advice and find new and hidden places.

Moving North: Grenoble. Great city and great access to the alps and closer mountains.

The Alps. France has so many un heard of places. If you are looking for DH then no need to talk about that but the Bourg St Maurice area has vast areas.

Over to Italian side for Aosta, Cormeyer, Cervinai etc.

Switzerland: The Rhone Valley is seemingly endless. From St Bernard -Verbier- Martigny-Sion-Brig and upto Zermatt. The Valais is outstanding.

Austria. More of the same and a bit more friendly IMO.

Then there is Slovenia which has amazing riding, friendly people and special drinking.

Don't listen to those who have been to Les Gets etc and think they have seen the Alps/Europe. New Zealand. Pah…

alpin
    Free Member

richc – Member
    I am about to be made redundant, and given a large wedge of cash and I am really tempted to do this. However my missus is in a good job she doesn't want to leave ……

how strong is you relationship? strong, then she won't mind if you go without her….

not very? then go without her.

it's easy.

richc
    Free Member

Its a strong relationship, but I would feel like to much of a bastard to just sod off for a year.

alpin
    Free Member

11 1/2 months?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

how about North America? that would be cool..

tails
    Free Member

Surely its got to be British Columbia would give you time to hit many a world renowned trail. christ you might even get to ride with Wade Simmons. The definition of pumped on being stoked

joemarshall
    Free Member

Surely its got to be British Columbia would give you time to hit many a world renowned trail. christ you might even get to ride with Wade Simmons. The definition of pumped on being stoked

In February? On a bike?

Personally, Europe sounds like a great idea. Even within one country it can be so different, and there are tons of countries to explore. In my experience, as soon as you're off the obvious rides and not in an obvious trail centre place like Morzine the trails are pretty empty too.

New Zealand is okay, and has some nice riding & scenery, but other than that it isn't really that much of a travel experience – culturally it seems far less different to us than Europe or the USA (if anything it's a bit like Scotland). You would also be a bit late in the year going in February, you'd only get the tail end of the high mountain riding season, and their winter really sucks, a lot of the best trails are too high up and will be snowed in after a few months, plus most houses don't have proper heating, so you are always freezing cold / wrapped up in a million jumpers. On the plus side, if you flew into Christchurch in February, you'd probably find it dead easy to pick up a cheap 2nd hand camper van.

Joe

fejling
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice.

I was considering NZ as well as BC but they don't really appeal to me as much as travelling around Europe, it's the cultural side of things I want to experience too, and as a couple of you mentioned thats going to be more varied travelling around Europe. I'm also trying to be eco-jeff and long haul flights wouldn't be good, although an old campervan may well be worse!

So it seems I was on the right track, southern Spain for the mild winter and then follow the better weather as it spreads north.

I'm considering speaking to a few companies that run organised trips in the areas I'll be visiting, and maybe do a few guided days to get my bearings, but basically just go exploring and take your advice and hook up with the locals for the insider knowledge.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions on where to go biking for a year?’ is closed to new replies.