Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Where to live in Scotland as a Student/apprentice?
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I have the chance to apply for an apprenticeship scheme but I all the places are in Scotland and the south of England (I live in West Yorkshire) Would rather move to Scotland. Could you advise me on where, is the best for:

Cheap rented accommodation

Somewhere I won’t get stabbed if I go outside

Somewhere that is well connected, good/decent public transport, and a good town/city centre for shopping and other city centre stuff.

A bit of nice riding in the area also

Places to choose from:

Aberdeen
    Dundee
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Inverness
    Paisley

Cheers

rickmeister

What sort of apprenticeship? That may define the company and therefore the area your looking at..?

muckytee
    Free Member

Scottish Southern Electric, probably working on overhead lines, they give me a list of locations, so need to pick two.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Obviously the second you cross the border you will immediately get stabbed.

May be you should stay in Englandshire, clearly a much better class of Muppet there.

muckytee
    Free Member

Sorry, just general student areas are pretty rough everywhere not just in Scotland, Glasgow just springs to mind, although talking to a lass once, who said it just had a bad rep, and was actually a good place to live as a student.

project
    Free Member

Have no idea where to live in the peoples democtratic republic of scotlandshire, but best of luck with the apprenticeship.

sniff
    Free Member

Inverness for the riding
    Edinburgh next but renting would be expensive

MussEd
    Free Member

Students don’t get stabbed here though. They just get slapped and their nice shiny mountain bikes get chored. In nice areas or not.

You’re asking us where you should live on the basis of stab avoidance? Go to south east England, pretty sure you never hear of knife crime or gang violence/rioting in London or that….

RustyMac

Every city has it’s dodgy areas, depending on what transport you are going to have will make some citys more or less appealing mtb wise. I live in Aberdeen flat rental up here is pretty pricy in the city due to the oil renting a room will be the cheapest way, transport in and arround the city is ok by bus my girlfriend uses them all the time for getting about however if you want to do some riding a car will help as the trails are out of the city

I grew up east of edinburgh and flat rental in the capital isn’t going to be cheap either. There is also decent bus transport in and around edinburgh. But riding wise you have the pentland hills on your door step and there is a company that has started to do mini bus trips to glentress so the options of rining are far better there.

geoffj

From that list, Edinburgh or Glasgow BUT you should see if Perth is an option (there is a large SSE depot here so could be).

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Is today international grumpy day and I’ve missed the headline?

Anyway,

Cheap rented accommodation

It’s all relative – but there’s very little cheap in the areas you’d like to live in most cities.

Inverness and Aberdeen are nice – but remote imo – good links south but obviously takes longer (eg returning home for you). Possibly less flights too if that bothers you.

Dundee
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

All have nice areas and a buzz. All seen friendly to outsiders (me incl). Dont know much about Paisley.

The public transport thing will come down to the detail of where you have to turn up each day etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glasgow

I hate to say it as an Edinburgh resident but the cheaper accommodation swings it to Glasgow

Paisley rough as guts although its really only a suburb of glasgow

Aberdeen – don’t know but its a long way from anywhere

Dundee – grim – needs to be a damn good job

Inverness – apart from being a long way from the rest of the UK its a decent place to live I believe and you are best placed for the mountains

So – Glasgow if you want a city, Inverness if you want the mountains. Edinburgh if you feel rich

For checking out rental prices ESPC and GSPC presumably an equivalence for the other places

http://www.espc.com/
    http://www.gspc.co.uk/

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dundee – grim

That’s a bit harsh TJ! (happy birthday btw).

Dundee has tons of students and a good vibe ime. There are of course grim areas – part of the problem I guess it that they tend to dominate the skyline.

I dont live there btw – just end up there regular.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fairy snuff – not a place I know well

coffeeking
    Free Member

Glasgow or Ed, though as mentioned accom is rarely cheap if it’s in a nice place. What do you class as cheap? I was renting a 2 bed flat in a nice commutersville for £450 a month, but I was fairly picky. there was plenty down near £350 a month, it was just a bit cramped/studenty for me.

Albanach
    Free Member

Don’t know much about Dundee but there is some excellent riding to be had in Fife.

I lived in Aberdeen for 6 years as a student and don’t really have a bad word to say about it – really enjoyed it. Left in 2004 so not sure what state it is in at the moment regarding flat rental etc I was paying £225/month for a room on Clifton Road incl. bills. Unfortunately wasn’t into riding when I stayed there but am sure there is probably a Uni bike club you could hook up with as well as other local clubs which could sort out lifts for you etc. to riding spots outside the town.

Edinburgh is a cracking city but could be pretty expensive depending on the area you want to rent in. Everything seems to be very close by as the centre of town is pretty compact. As already said above Pentlands on your doorstep, Glentress and Innerleithen/borders down the road as well as Stirling Trossachs and Fife.

Glasgow is another quality place to live – good riding just outside the city in Mugdock and the start of the WHW – some good clubs around as well. Used to ride with Glasgow Mountain Bike Club which is a good club and regular Wed night rides and Sunday rides away from home. West End is nice and has a good mix of shops/pubs/restaurants and flats for students in Anniesland/Hillhead/Kelvinbridge/Kelvinside/Kelvindale/Partick no idea on price though. Good subway into city centre and buses etc.

swiss01
    Free Member

dundee is not grim even if it has its moments. i am just about to leaver to go there and i fully expect to neither have my car stolen or get stabbed. true it does have its heroin issues but so does everywhere in scotland.

unlike glasgow or edinburgh it’s easy to get out of and, unlike inverness, there’s a profusion of roads to get to places, so much so i would characterise perth and angus as (roadie) valhalla. mountain biking is good opnce you get to know it which can be tricky but worth it.

dundee gets a bit of a bad rap which, in some ways, is deserved (it’s full of numpties) but it’s also has theatre, galleries, climbing walls, music venues and the likes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member
    Obviously the second you cross the border you will immediately get stabbed.

May be you should stay in Englandshire, clearly a much better class of Muppet there.

Do want some sauce for that chip on your shoulder?

He is just a young guy asking for advice about what areas or towns are best avoided. He’s not from the area, moving a far way, it not an unreasonable request. People ask similar questions all the time on here and many other places.

“What are of x is good / safe / cheap?”

“Is y a dodgy town?”

MussEd
    Free Member

true it does have its heroin issues but so does everywhere in scotland. the UK

FTFY

geoffj

swiss01 talks a lot of sense about Dundee.
    Handy for a bit of posh at St Andrews too!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

My vote’s for Glasgow but then I did go to uni there and the people are friendlier than in Edinburgh

Aberdeen is the wrong side of the country and so too bloody cold- same for Dundee.

Inverness- great for mountains but as has been pointed out its a long way from anywhere and not that big.

druidh
    Free Member

uponthedowns – Member
    My vote’s for Glasgow but then I did go to uni there and the people are friendlier than in Edinburgh

Yep – you get a smile with every stabbing.

ketchup
    Free Member

Student life in Aberdeen is pretty decent tbh although it is quite expensive for rented accomodation (my mates two bedroom flat comes to about £900ish in total a month including bills). Saying that though the night life is good as long as you avoid the few clubs which are pretty much full of people looking for a fight although I guess that would be the case everywhere. There’s plenty of places to go riding around Aberdeen as well but a car would help.

I’d quite like to live in Inverness but from speaking to friends it’s not really studenty and the nightlife consists of one or two clubs.

Personally though I’d choose Glasgow, cheaper accomodation and a better nightlife whilst still being close to good riding etc

birky
    Free Member

Aberdeen is the wrong side of the country and so too bloody cold-same for Dundee

And both have half the rainfall of Glasgow 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

dundee or edinburgh out of that list.

edinburgh is an awesome city to live in, but might be pricey

as a st andrews ex i, of course, looked down on scumdee dundee, but actually, it was quite nice in a lot of places, and really not as bad as it’s rep would have you believe. a LOT of money being spent on the waterside at the mo i believe.

nwallace
    Free Member

Presuming you want to keep up the MTB.

Aberdeen – Plenty of stuff in the shire from Kirkhill and Pitfichie to the wild trails out Ballater way (40miles)

Dundee – I’ll be slightly bias here, it’s actually a nice city out to the west and on the south side of the hill.
    Very little riding close by though, campy is a bit dull, the woods out the back are fairly flat, the Sidlaws you’d need to be trying to spend a decnt amount of time up, I’m slowly running out of stuff to investigate out of Newport having only started in September (see my blog) but Dunkeld is within comfortable distance, as are the angus glens and route over the mounth.

Edinburgh – Better than Glasgow, Glentress and Innerleithen as well as Blairadam and Pitmedden aren’t too far, carron valley isn’t far awaye either.

Glasgow – If you’re in the middle then you are bloody ages from anywhere, plenty of stuff nearby in all directions though.

Inverness – Would be my choice. Laggan, Rothiemurchas, Black isle, lernie and even Golspie, plus lots and lots of Highland routes within reasonably short driving distance

Paisley – Just don’t bother.

Garry_Lager

Glasgow, Ed or Inverness would all be great.
    Aberdeen would probably be great as well, but has drawbacks of being remote, windy as fk and full of scallies. Or whatever the Aberdonian word for scally is. Now obviously Glasgow is world class when it comes to neds – we’re talking FC Barcelona levels of scallydom, but being such a large city it’s less of a problem. You notice it more on a night out in Aberdeen.

Can’t think of any compelling reason to move to Dundee, unless you’re a molecular biologist. Just not an attractive city. The riding is good in Angus, but that’s the least of your concerns as the riding is good everywhere round the cities you’re talking about.

Trekster

Scottish Southern Electric, probably working on overhead lines, they give me a list of locations, so need to pick two.

Are the ones you have posted on the list?
    Dumfries has a large-ish base

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m from Glasgow originally, and have just returned after living mostly in West Yorkshire (Leeds) for the last 7 years, so my view of Glasgow will bear some resemblance to your own if you were to move here.

First things first. The weather is crap. If you want WY type weather, stick to east coast (i.e. Edinburgh). The rain/grey skies will astound you in Glasgow after being on the east side of England. But, you’ll get over it, and it’s amazing how Glasgow literally turns into a Brazilian style street carnival as soon as the sun comes out. 🙂

Also, Glasgow is just as safe as Leeds and imo safer than Manchester (i’m referring to the areas you would actually live and frequent). I have a house in Manchester so have a fair bit of experience of there too. Imagine the down to earth and straight talking attitude of Leeds people, but the bigger and cosmopolitan buzz of Manchester…and you get Glasgow.

I love Edinburgh too, but as a young(?) lad, there’s more on offer for you in Glasgow and you’ll be able to afford a much nicer place to live in a nicer area than in Edinburgh. Edinburgh is noticeably more expensive. That said, if you want somewhere more like Harrogate/York, then Edinburgh is a better bet than Glasgow. There’s also a lovely vibe to Edinburgh that is hard to describe, you get a similar vibe in the West End of Glasgow, but Edinburgh feels very homely at times. However, bear in mind that if you did choose Glasgow, then Edinburgh is just 50 mins away (soon to be shorter once I’ve bought the new rolling stock for the Glasgow to Edinburgh line).

I’ve never lived in any of the other places you noted, but have obviously spent time in them. In my opinion, when you have the option of Glasgow/Edinburgh, you don’t really need to look much further unless you have a real draw to any of the other places in terms of specific work opportunity or family connections etc.

Feel free to email me if you want any more info on Glasgow in particular. More than happy to show you around if you’re up this way.

falkirk-mark

I lived 30 years in Renfrew about 4 miles from Paisley to be honest I would not recommend it, from that list I would pick Glasgow or Edinburgh

BurnBob
    Free Member

Firstly, well done on the job!! Wasn’t there about 200 applicants per post or something?? Secondly congrats on moving to Scotland. Here is my opinion for what it’s worth:

Aberdeen – alright place, good riding, pricey
    Dundee – not been there much but not outstanding
    Edinburgh – expensive
    Glasgow – great place, great people. It does have a rep as being rough but can’t think of many random attacks or anything on people. People are friendly
    Inverness – nice place, nice people, remote
    Paisley – probably not the nicest place to move to.

What about Stirling or Perth?

fasthaggis

Dundee – grim – needs to be a damn good job

Fairy snuff – not a place I know well

Older but no wiser 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thing is with glasgow is that 99% of the time it’s fine, it’s if you are walking about the peripheral estates at night and at the weekend is where it gets a bit dodgy, other than that it’s fine really. I’ve never felt in danger once in the city centre.

Personally if i was moving here, i’d probably be looking about the westend(closer to the town the better imo), or maybe shawlands/battlefield area if you are looking at the southside.. for ease of access to nightlife, you probably want to be southside/westend anyhow..

mtb wise, in glasgow you’ll get to know mugdock if you don’t have a car, otherwise you really need to travel to places, they train will get you to some of them. A car is preferable.

I’d ask about specific areas before moving though, you don’t want to end up in places like toryglen, fernhill, the dodgy bits of castlemilk etc, anywhere that has well known young team(s) really, there are places i wouldn’t walk through at night, that’ll be the same in most places though..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Edinburgh – Better than Glasgow, Glentress and Innerleithen as well as Blairadam and Pitmedden aren’t too far, carron valley isn’t far awaye either.

Glasgow – If you’re in the middle then you are bloody ages from anywhere, plenty of stuff nearby in all directions though.

😀 Carron Valley is within spitting distance of Glasgow, funny to mention it with Ed. 😕

FWIW I get from north of Glasgow to GT/Inners in a shade over an hour in the car, same with the other stanes. IMO better to be central to all of them if you’re a trail-centre whore.

Yep – you get a smile with every stabbing.

Daft attitude. Nothing like the reality you’ll see unless you choose to live in Easterhouse. And no-one chooses to live in Easterhouse.

coffeeking
    Free Member

First things first. The weather is crap. If you want WY type weather, stick to east coast (i.e. Edinburgh). The rain/grey skies will astound you in Glasgow after being on the east side of England. But, you’ll get over it, and it’s amazing how Glasgow literally turns into a Brazilian style street carnival as soon as the sun comes out

Interestingly this is just factually incorrect, even if it seems that way. Glasgow actually has lower mean rainfall all spring/summer than Edinburgh, but higher during the winter. It does have fewer mean sunshine hours per day (by 1 hour). Both have approximately 15-17 rainy days per month.

druidh
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    >Yep – you get a smile with every stabbing.
    Daft attitude. Nothing like the reality you’ll see unless you choose to live in Easterhouse. And no-one chooses to live in Easterhouse.

😀

I was following up on the OP. Personally, in light of that comment, I’d be recommending he head south.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Both have approximately 15-17 rainy days per month.

~And even then, it’s a case of deciding what’s a good rainy day and what’s a bad rainy day. all rain does not = bad. Warm Summer rain can be amazing for example.

althepal

From, and live in Glasgow now but have lived as a student in Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth.
    Glasgow is a great big city- west end pricey, south side not as cheap as it was and Denniston (most of it) in the east end is nice.. All bits well served by motorways and trains and buses so not hard to get about and out. Decent riding nearby (Mugdock, kilpatricks, etc..)

Edinburgh is a lovely place to be, and as a student it was great, had some amazing nights out but not quite as friendly a place as Glasgow- but seeing as how you’re English (if that’s not insulting a Yorkshireman) you should fit in ok. Not cheap either. Plenty of wee local places to ride but unless you have a car (or use the new uplift) I don’t think it’s very easy to get to GT etc despite their proximity- no trains and buses don’t carry bikes..

Dundee- it was almost 20 years ago I lived there and even then that was in nurses residence at ninewells- it was a bit grim in places (where isn’t?) but the place has come on a fair whack over the years, tons of great nightlife in the centre and along Perth road. Not sure about local riding though..
    Speaking of Perth, it’s a decent wee soon to be- city. Central location, lots of nice pubs, good local riding. I used to be able to walk from one end to the other in an hour and the centre is quite compact too. Some bits quite posh and always seemed to be a high proportion of blue-rinsers about but enjoyed my time there- perhaps the location would be good for your job?
    Dont have any knowledge of Inverness but all my mates that studied up in Aberdeen seemed to enjoy it although everyone seemed to agree that it’s not a cheap place to stay.
    Weather wise the east coast does seem to getl less rain but it always seemed a bit colder to me coming from Glasgow.

Anyways, that’s my ten-bobs worth. If you want any advice or info about Glasgow give me a shout.

bruneep

It’s close to me.

RustyMac

bruneep –
    It’s close to me.

Aye but from what i have heard that is as good a reason as any to avoid the place 😉

you set em up and all that 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in Scotland as a Student/apprentice?’ is closed to new replies.