• This topic has 37 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Where to live in Bristol?
  • IA

OK, I know tonnes of you live there, indeed I did for a year and a bit back in ’03, but on the north of the city.

Moving down for work in September, and will be working on the south west side (Brislington area), my partner likely more centrally/near the uni.

Where should I be looking for places to live, and what should I expect to pay roughly?

I’ve been pointed at Knowle/Totterdown, maybe Southville before. Any other suggestions? Or more specific definitions of boundaries, or where to avoid etc? Or hey, if you know somewhere going, let me know.

Myself plus partner, so after I guess 2 bed (or big 1 bed, or even maybe a 3 bed, I dunno! Depends what stuff costs.. etc), somewhere to park, space enough for bikes (obviously), would prefer a “nice” area, blah blah blah, the usual.

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a nose through this.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-life-in-and-around-bristol
    Slightly different needs than you, but still a fair bit of info.

IA

Cheers, I posted on that in & around one, that’s where most of my info came from 🙂

Just thought I’d see if anyone could be more specific/had anything further to add etc. now I know I’m moving for sure.

I’ll look at the other thread too, but think I’d rather live in, than around. Certainly initially I guess it’ll be easier to be in town as it’ll be less effort to get out of an evening/weekend to meet folk, ride with new folk and generally make new friends etc.

IA

Thought I’d bump this for the morning lot, surprised I didn’t get more opinion – or have I got it about right with areas?

wrecker
    Free Member

No offence buddy, there’s 9 pages of opinion and advice already written. It’s been covered, and pretty recently too.
    All I’ll say is that Brislington has the worst traffic in Bristol. I would NOT like to wrestle with the A4 every day so might be tempted to look at Brislington/St Annes park/Sandy park to minimise the commute although it’s not as close to town as Bedminster etc. That’s just my opinion though (I HATE traffic), it may be perfectly acceptable for others or OK to cycle.

IA

It’s been covered,

That’s cool, no offence taken. if no-one else has anything to add that’s good to know too, I’ll just re-read the other stuff 🙂

richc
    Free Member

One thing to repeat, don’t under estimate how bad the traffic or parking is around the center. It can be quicker to walk than it is to drive and park or use the bus.

IA

I don’t plan to drive round town at all other than for shopping. The car’s mostly for getting the bikes places at weekends, and if needed for work at all (hopefully not, or very rarely). I’d assume on-street parking would mostly be ok wherever I ended up south of the river, unless on a main road or something? Or is this not true?

Happy to walk up to 30-40mins for when I need into town, or likely cycle. Though I have to also consider my partner’s commute (likely to uni area, but she’ll also likely cycle).

Milkie
    Free Member

Moving down for work in September, and will be working on the south west side (Brislington area)

Am I missing something here?? Brislington is on the East side of Bristol..

I would steer clear of the A4, it is a jam every morning, evening and weekend.

SammyC
    Free Member

I live in Southville and work in Brislington (which is on the SE side as posted above) and its fine for traffic once past Temple Meads as you’re going against the normal flow of traffic. But that said, it much nicer to cycle and only about five miles each way.

andyl
    Free Member

Ws at Bristol uni from 1999 to 2011 so know that area very well. Now live out of the city but doing my flat up (still as too busy to work on it) to rent out.

Not sure what was in the other threads but Clifton, Redland and Cotham are the most desirable and expensive (in that order) for near to the Uni. Stoke Bishop etc (north of the downs also nice but expensive).

For a nice, large 1 bed you are looking at 700-750 (with parking)
    For a 2 bed £850-1000 ish.

Elsewhere will be a lot cheaper.

Remember if cycling to Uni from the south, east or north east it is all very much up hill.

Also make sure you have secure bike storage and ask the landlord about beefing up whatever is there. I have a bike storage area at my flat which I will beef up with extra steel doors (like a cage) if the tenant is a keen cyclist.

Also places like Cotham have a residential parking zone which is fantastic if you live in it as you get a permit for £30 a year. Crappy if you don’t as it covers all round the Uni.

IA

Am I missing something here?? Brislington is on the East side of Bristol.

Monday brain-pain in a too hot office….brain and fingers not quite in alignment! 🙂

doing my flat up (still as too busy to work on it) to rent out.

Not moving down till Sept…. what’s your flat like/where? If it might be done by then…

Cheers for the info on the uni areas. Think I’ll look south of the river though, as seems a bit cheaper and I don’t really fancy clifton/cotham/redland to brislington every day, even on the bike.

wallop

Stay south of the river. BS3 is where all the cool kids live 8)

Mendips in 20 minutes? Yes please!

nickjb
    Free Member

BS3 is where all the cool kids live

It’s all skinny jeans and fixies with tiny handlebars. North Bristol rules! 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

flat is very close to uni so probably not in the right location for you.

Mendips a lot closer than 20 minute for me these days…but I do miss Leigh Woods.

IA

So I’ve done some more serious looking now, seems to be the biggest variety of choice through letting agents. Now, past experience suggests some are competent, or only act to introduce you to a landlord, whereas many are a right shower and you have to sort stuff through them, deal with the hassles etc.

Anyone got any recommendations of agencies who’ve treated you well, or are best avoided?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

as mentioned, traffic around Brislington is evil and although the victorian bay window houses are nice and its convenient for town, from 0700-0900 and 1600-1830 the Bath Road and surounding streets are a nightmare. Totterdown and Knowle used to have bad reps and I think its improved a bit since the really bad days in the 90s though you still hear stories of kids throwing rocks at the emergency eservices…
    Bedmionster is ok, the area around Pearl and Ruby Streets is nice, all on street parking though and it gets busy.

Depends who is happier with the longer commute, if you dont mind a cut across town then Hotwells is good for the Uni…. otherwise I would suggest St Andrews, Bishopston or Horfield.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

as for landlords, I’ve only ever dealt with Kingsley Thomas who are a bunch of useless thieving scrotums who will lie to you to get your signature on a Contract.

IA

thieving scrotums

Haha, thanks for the heads-up.

I lived in Bishopton before, I liked it, but I think the commute would wear me down, just a bit too far.

When you say those roads are a nightmare, I know that’ll be to drive, but on the bike too? Or avoidable on a bike?

wallop

Andrews are OK, Ocean are OK. As mentioned above Kingsley Thomas are the worst.

If you do head for BS3, avoid Airpoint/Skypark – it is basically modelled on a prison.

An idea of your rental budget will enable us to give you more of a guide on where you can afford to live!

jd-boy
    Free Member

Manchester ?

IA

Budget wise, bit uncertain just now as it’ll depend on my partner’s new job a bit, but maybe up to 800 a month? Seems to be some choice in that range, though would maybe need to spend more for somE decent space? ( for bikes 😉

IA

Hmm, my perception is a lot of the places I’m seeing are unfurnished, is that pretty common down there? Only let furnished before. Not against getting my own furniture, but don’t really want to restrict future moves too much.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d assume on-street parking would mostly be ok wherever I ended up south of the river, unless on a main road or something? Or is this not true?

It’s not true! Southville in particular has lots of shared houses, and is used by commuters too tight to pay for parking. Totterdown is also difficult as the streets are narrow. Victoria Park and further into Bedminster are generally ok. Ashton usually ok except when Bristol city are at home.

IA

Hmm, ok, cheers, good to know. I wouldn’t (hopefully) be needing the car daily, so being a bit of a hassle to park is ok (where I am now I often need to park a street over etc), but less hassle would be better.

Starting to think a bit more out of town would be better, get more for my money and be closer to work. Though of course, further for my partner and to get into town.

What’s Brislington like as an area to live in? I’ve been told parts of it are ok.

wallop

Totterdown is fine to park in, especially if you don’t move your car daily.

Brislington is OK, there just isn’t much going on there. It’s just that bit further away from town than Totterdown – enough to make you not want to walk there IMO. There is the Paintworks though, and a decent size Sainsburys. But that is about it.

On the subject of renting, it always has been mainly unfurnished. Never really given this much thought as to why – it just seems to be the way it is. £800 will get you something decent south of the river, but probably only a flat in the posher areas towards Redland etc.

Edric64
    Free Member

BS3 is terrible the inbreds go there to watch Bristol City (1982)play

deluded
    Free Member

IA – have you thought of something west of Bristol … Nailsea, Clevedon, Portishead – easily commutable, more for your bang in terms of rent and a bit more peace than congested/populated parts of Bristol?

wallop

Nailsea, Clevedon, Portishead lovely places to live, but a nightmare for getting to Brislington.

IA

I want to be able to commute by bike (for preference) or walking failing that. Commuting daily by car would be my idea of hell…

benja
    Free Member

Based on where you and your partner will be working, I would say Totterdown, lower Knowle, Victoria Park and Windmill Hill would be your best bets. Under half an hour walk to the centre, easy to get to Brislington, bus connections aren’t too bad for Bristol, nice parks and some decent pubs. I live in Totterdown and there are only a couple of places I’d prefer to live in Bristol (both of which are rubbish for getting to Brislington). Don’t know much about letting agencies but I have heard nothing but bad things about Kingsley Thomas/Terry Oplin.

IA

Cheers for the advice, people seem to be painting a consistent picture, which is nice.

Might end up looking further out though, for space. Bit spoilt just now (2 bed flat, + garage) which means we’ve somehow ended up with 6 bikes to house…

wallop

We use our dining room as our bike room.

noteeth
    Free Member

We use our bike room as our dining room.

Corrected.

IA

I think noteeth knows the way of things 😉

If I have somewhere big enough to have a dining room, well, sure there’ll be plenty bike space. Don’t think my money will get me somewhere that big in totterdown mind.

redthunder
    Free Member

@IA

Whats your budget ?

IA

About 800 a month max I think?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in Bristol?’ is closed to new replies.