Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Nice places to live within commuting distance of Bristol
  • Daffy

Bristol itself seems to have a pretty bad rep (especially in relation to bike theft) and never having been there, I have no idea.

Where's recommended

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bristol itself.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

how far do you want to drive and where in Bristol are you working?

Central/North/South etc as will effect your options

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You could try Muddock who store bikes while you're at work.

Clifton is nice or even Bath or Thornbury if you're eager.
    I'm in Cambridge and most burglers tend to go the nice areas to break into homes rather than dives.

Just get contents/theft cover!

IA

I quite liked living in Bristol when I worked there. Kept bikes in the house mind.

Daffy

I'll be working at Filton, I don't mind up to an hour, but would prefer less than 30 miles.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Bath

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bath

…to Filton…

in the morning? An hour and the rest.

Also how much money will you be looking to spend on a house. If you live closer to town than your work, the commute can be a breeze sometimes.

Otherwise, consider South Gloucestershire areas.

Daffy

dd – I'm not looking to buy just yet, at least not until I know the areas.

Bath does look nice, but it's super expensive. It looks like a 560sqft apartment in the centre is £900!

domwells27
    Free Member

Probably almondsbury, alveston and thornbury way for a decent commute to filton

IA

I worked at Filton, lived in Bishopton (in bristol). Seemed a good location, midway between centre and work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bishopton (in bristol)

Nice part – with good access to Gloucester Road and it's associated fun.

IA

Oh, and commute was 8 minutes on the bike. At least that was my record coming home (trends downhill from Filton) and giving it firey death as I was in a rush. 10-15 more normal.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Southville, bristol is nice to live in. same knowle and bedminster bristol

TooTall
    Free Member

Bristol is great. Don't knock it until you've given it a chance. Just rent somewhere cheap within a few miles of Filton and explore for yourself.

ianpinder
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Bath
    …to Filton…

in the morning? An hour and the rest.

Also how much money will you be looking to spend on a house. If you live closer to town than your work, the commute can be a breeze sometimes.

Otherwise, consider South Gloucestershire areas.

Yeah sorry didn't see that.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Whoops sorry OP,

should have said train from Bath, then on to Patchway or Temple Meads-used to do on roadbike both ways or Train on rest days.

Try Downend for houseshare? bit further away-40min ride max.

Used to live in Cotham/Redland area-straight on to Glou Road to Filton/Rolls Royce and shops/restaurants around you and close to city centre but little parking but you won't need to move or use your car etc 20 mins max.

Redland/Cotham and not as expensive as Clifton too. 😛

Pigface
    Free Member

People do it from Wales, train is ok but can get delayed. Depending what time you travel you can do Newport to Bristol in an hour. Bridge costs and who wants to live in Newport. Chepstow maybe?

Kamikirk
    Free Member

If you live in bath however the cycle along the canal is simple enough though filton is then a fair distance still. Depending on funds redland, Westbury etc are all good and easy to get to Filton or Thornbury and its outlying villages for a nice country feel with a 30ish min drive.

With an hour for commute you have a really massive area to choose from. Personally i'd go for Bristol itself, as i did a while back, as its a really nice city.

CountZero

Bristol is a nice city nowadays, plenty of good pubs and bars and restaurants, and there's loads of good music venues now, like Start The Bus, Thekla, Louisiana, Fleece, St Bonaventures. Wales and the trail centres are just across the bridge, and Exmoor is just down the M5.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

oo, oo, oo, I know, Swindon!

tang
    Free Member

stroud/nailsworth/wotton under edge. nice places and good riding! close to m5. and filton can be quick dep on traffic.

redthunder
    Free Member

Severn Beach, Pilning, Easter Compton.

MrOvershoot

Severn beach!!

Tang had it if it's a car commute Wotton-Under-Edge, Charfield, Wickwar, Kingswood

redthunder
    Free Member

Who the **** would want to live in Kingswood ?

TooTall
    Free Member

filton can be quick dep on traffic.

Can be dead stop too. Getting close enough to cycle makes far more sense than driving the M4/M5.

MrOvershoot

redthunder – Member

Who the **** would want to live in Kingswood ?

Kingswood down the hill from Wotton-Under-Edge not the shite hole in Bristol 😉 obviously you don't know the area.
    Our old house Nice house in Kingswood

redthunder
    Free Member

@mrovershoot

Oh yes I do 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Frome. I have friends there I think it's a nice place.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I would say if you are not looking to buy and will be working in Filton, rent for 6 months in the utterly dull, harmless and deeply popular Bradley Stoke as its packed to the gills with rental properties and you can walk to Filton from a lot of it, or bike.

Lots of people aspire to live in Bradley Stoke as its considered 'nice' and people aspire to it. I cant imagine any place more dull and it circulates entirely round a giant Tesco. But its a reasonably nice area for a short let and its a good place to get the hang of what commuter traffic is like, and good for travelling out to other areas so you can view where you might want to rent next. Rentals vary from studio flats to biggish houses. Most of the rooms and gardens are tiny but that makes them competitive in price. Think 6 months of good value usefulness then get out!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Just seen someone suggested Severn Beach – there is no beach, just mud and modern housing estates and the tail end of the 2nd severn bridge looming over it all. Kill yourself rather than go there!

nickegg
    Free Member

Nailsea, Backwell, Clevedon and surrounding areas are well worth a look. We've been living in this area for 5 years now and love it. Loads of good riding locally as well being close to the Mendips.

I cycle 10 miles each way into Clifton (from Lulsgate to Bike UK) and love my commute.

bassspine
    Free Member

Snanz, Red Lunn or Downenn.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I am a bit surprised at some of the suggestions – in a Bristol rush hour (only its longer than an hour both ends of the day) the traffic is very heavy both entering/leaving it and crossing the city.

There is no way at all some of the suggested areas will let you access Filton in 30 mins. Many wont make it for at least an hour or quite a bit longer – the road route to Bath is a good 40 mins when there are no queues at all never mind in rush hour. Travelling across Bristol is very dependent on which area you start from. It can be very trying.

To grasp the commuter problem and how bad it is around the Filton and South Glos areas, look on a map. It can take literally take over an hour to travel from say just Winterbourne to the MOD at Abbey Wood area in term time for example, which is a 15 min drive tops the rest of the time. A friend of mine regularly finds this. I have travelled between the hotel by the UWE Frenchay campus to Parkway train station in mid winter rush hour peak and its taken nearly an hour! It possible to walk that distance in less than 40 mins.

Try looking up the Western Daily Press, Bristol Evening Post or Thornbury Gazette for stories on congestion and people complaining that they are still building houses despite the lack of infrastructure.

The costs of traveling over the Severn Bridges are already over £5 per day, plus fuel etc and the price goes up every January. Often the older bridge is shut due to weather problems which causes big diversions.

Its mostly a nice area when out of rush hour but I really would suggest you not be taken in by how close things look on a map and assuming the commuter time is therefore equally short.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a wonderful apartment you could buy in Swindon!

redthunder
    Free Member

Well I can do Filton in less than 30min on a bike from Severn Beach.

Property prices are reasonable.

Semi rural.

Easy access to the M-Ways etc, in any direction.

And….. it's does have a beach 🙂 It really does. And views to die for 🙂

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I was mostly assuming a car commute – times on a bike locally are quicker, good point.

Indeed I would die if Severn Beach was the best view! Buts its all personal perspective eh? 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I moved here last Oct. Its great place. The traffic is bad though at peak times. If your commuting go by bike. I drove once to work the day I started. Never driven since. It would take another hour or more each day in a car. Try Bradley stoke. Easy cycle to Filton and 5 mins your in the Cotswolds to the North. Cmwcarn in 40 mins max, hour to Quantocks, Afan 1:30 😆 Nice area.

A lot of people cycle to work. Commuting by car makes no sense.

redthunder
    Free Member

Severn Beach

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I'm in Clevedon, my missus works in Filton, commutes by car every day. Normally no problem, straight onto the M5 at Clevedon, off at Cribbs Causeway and through to Filton, under 30 mins. M5 can sometimes be a mare though.

There are some great local trails on the doorstep here in Clevedon, plus your bike is unlikely to get nicked 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Nice places to live within commuting distance of Bristol’ is closed to new replies.