Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Where to go in Cornwall?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Hi, I’m off to Cornwall next weekend. Where should we go? I should add that my wife is 5 months pregnant so no especially active things 🙁 Advice on any beaches that are good for shell collecting is welcome. We are staying in Polperro, near Looe.

Cheers,

Rich

wallop

Fowey is nice for a wander round and a spot of lunch – it’s not too big, so not too strenuous.

Wadebridge is also really nice if you fancy heading up to the north coast, as is Padstow, Port Isaac, Trebarwith Strand.

Avoid – Bodmin, Plymouth, St Austell.

snaps
    Free Member

Looe is like a ghost town this time of year due to the second home owners, not familiar with the beaches but Bodmin jail, Eden project, or Trago mills in Liskeard might be a good option if the weather is against you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be hard to avoid Plymouth!

stratobiker
    Free Member

How long you going for?

I could spend a whole weekk in Polperro. It’s lovely.

SB

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d say a day in st Ives but then I’m biased.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Always loved the Rock/Polzeath/Padstow Triangle (as nobody calls it), stopped going there so frequently from the late 90’s onwards though when half of Radley/Marlborough etc descended on it every summer.

Harry_the_Spider

I like St Ives. Out of season it shouldn’t be rammed.

Avoid The Tate though. It’s bobbins.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Only going for a long weekend, and wouldn’t want to go there in season if it gets that busy. I’ve just come back from Oz so I’m used to lovely beaches that are devoid of people 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

I could spend a whole weekk in Polperro. It’s lovely.

I’ll be spending 2 weeks there in the summer 😀 at my mates retirement place.

Eden project is good but quite a lot of walking, we’ve also been reccomended the ‘lost gardens of Heligan’ . I’d avoid Port Isaac it’s pretty steep as is Tintagel castle , Pendennis castle is quite nice with great veiws over the estuary at Falmouth. If you go to Padstow then get a pasty from the ‘Chough’ bakery mmmmmmm!

at this time of year there might be some tall ships in for repair at Charlestown.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Its quiet down here at the moment,so you can go anywhere you want.
    Bring a bike if you want to go for a quick blast.

stratobiker
    Free Member

@RichPenney – for a long weekend. I’d say Polperro would be just perfect.

SB

Anna-B
    Free Member

my wife is 5 months pregnant

🙂

Evidence that we shouldn’t assume we know what’s round the corner!

Cornwall’s lovely. Have fun and a cream tea -just remember that cream is the topping 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you don’t want to travel very far & you want good access to a beach for your pregnant wife then Seaton is just up the coast from Polperro & could fit the bill.

Parking is right next to the beach & you can walk along the beach towards Downderry & beyond. If you don’t fancy the beach then there is a nature trail leading inland. Not sure what the shell picking is like along the beach but there is a nice pub in Downderry just off the beach to stop for lunch. Alternatively there is the Smugglers Inn or the beach cafe @ Seaton to choose from. Oh & the Copley Arms at Hessenford is another nice place to eat.

I hope you have a great weekend in Kernow.

EDIT: not sure why the Seaton link on Google maps won’t work – anyway paste ‘Seaton, Torpoint, UK’ – in the search box & it should be Ok – Oops

djglover
    Free Member

Get timeout devon and cornwall, it will tell you all the great places to go. I went with the kids so lots of days out revolved around them but I highly recommend Glendurgan Garden and St Ives as nice places to go without kids.

My advice is, go somewhere else as Cornwall could easily become the default destination once junior arrives, thats if you make it past centre parks 🙂

Leigh
    Free Member

st ives, just booked to go in the summer

RichPenny
    Free Member

thats if you make it past centre parks

The only way I’ll be entering centre parcs is with enough explosives to level the place 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

St Agnes for wee pretty Peebles and Holywell for a beach made of seashells, literally full of them

Either the beach at Rock or the opposite one near Padstow.(Hawkers) Both are sublime golden beaches.

Really liked Fowey and ready money beach nearby where i slept in the shelter in the corner of the beach.

If you go into Polpero, where you certainly could spend a couple days wandering. Pop in the Blue peter and say hi for me(the glam land lady may remember me) She soothed my hayfever shreaded eyes. And if you walk out to the coast path heading west from there, check out the shelter and see if my Fenix torch is still there..:(

It’s useless asking me for places to visit in Kernow. Having walked the entire coast of it, there’s just to many amazing places to see.

teagirl
    Free Member

Where to start!! St Ives out of season is wonderful, Mousehole is gorgeous and with fine pub, Porthcurno has dramatic waves, Sennen is a fine walk, Pub at Zennor is the best place ever for food and company………I could go on, and on….. I’m hitched to a Cornishman. Yearning for the summer 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

If you go to St Ives, make sure you walk the coastal path from by Porthminster beach, through Carbis Bay, past Hawks Point, along the cliffs to Lelant Beach and back. Out of season you should barely meet another person and it really is stunning.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers all, especially Sharki for the Holywell tip. I shall certainly pop into the Blue Peter as we’re staying up the hill there. How exactly did she soothe your eyes mate 😉

sharki
    Free Member

Her son brought back some antihistamine from the states so gave me some.

Could of been rohypnol for all i cared.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Wherever you go, make the most of sitting in a bar or restaurant in peace and quiet and taking your time eating. It could be the last time for a lot of years! (p.s. congratulations Rich).

As stated, St Ives is lovely (when you’re not wrestling the kids around) and this time of year most towns, villages and roads should be nice and quiet. Just avoid Newquay for obvious reasons.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don’t get peace and quiet at the moment, I’m married 😀

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

St Ives, went a couple of times last year. Great town to visit and some lovely restaurants.

Sandwich

If the bike hire is open in Wadebridge get a Tandem and do the Camel trail to Padstein. Flat all the way and fish and chips at the harbour.

LoCo
    Free Member

St Ives, galleries still open and good resturants.
    Also almost at Lands end is http://www.minack.com/, which is very impressive but there are stepish steps so make yourself.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t go to anywhere near Bude at this time of year. Atlantic coast, bloody freezing and utterly miserable. It will be wet and very windy, nasty.

I have many very unhappy memories of going to see relatives in a place near Bude. Bored out of my head, nothing to do (‘Oh why don’t you go for a nice walk?’ Because it’s bloody freezing and raining and I don’t want to).

I’m probbly not really the best person to give advice on such matters…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Where to go in Cornwall?’ is closed to new replies.