Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Where to get a large magnet?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I need a big beefy magnet for retrieving dropped tools from rivers – spanners, hammers etc. Also for picking nails out of my fire grate after burning pallets. And probably lots of other useful tasks. Any ideas where to get such a thing? Are the magnets in large speakers powerful? Cheap would be good, so no neodynium or owt like that.
    Cheers!

willard

Big speakers from the impaud are your friend… Get down there and see what you can find.

Just out of interest, why would you want to go fishing for tools?

wwaswas

You could try not doing DIY over moving water?

Knackered speaker should be ok. Tricky bit will be not lifting up all the other crap out the river.

maccruiskeen

Aximinster tools do a big hand held magnetic swarf gathering thing, with a pull-lever thing so that it’ll let go of what its picked up. Handy when the handle of your big organiser box full of screws fails and scatters a couple of thousand screws into grass around the tyres of your van.

Costs about a tenner

Three_Fish
    Free Member

An old (or new) speaker magnet would be ideal, even from the small shelf speakers you’d get in a car.

MrNutt
    Free Member

here: http://www.magnetsales.co.uk/

they are just up the road from me

Cougar

For the latter task, take an old hard disk to bits.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Cool, thanks guys. Tools in the river is one of the hazards of working in the river and not really avoidable. Having spanners on tethers was tried and dismissed fairly quickly.

Will try a hard drive for the nails.

Cheers!

legend
    Free Member

Any chandlery should be able to sort you out. My old boy got one that was easily able to pick his outboard off of the sea floor

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’ve got this image of a postman unable to get a package out of his van, ’cause its stuck to the floor 😀

Kuco

If you go to a marina you can by pretty powerful magnets designed for retrieving things out of the water. Can’t remember the make of the one i’ve got.

CountZero

Drac

Acme do massive ones.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve got this image of a postman unable to get a package out of his van, ’cause its stuck to the floor

😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ditch magnet

We use em in the workshop for ensuring that swarf and nails etc does not damage tires or hurt folk !

redthunder
    Free Member

Magnotron from a Microwave 🙂

Every flytip has one 🙂

convert

I know you don’t want a rare earth jobbie but they are great for trawling in water and you would not need a very big one. There used to be a brilliant youtube vid of a couple of inbreds with a pair of child’s fist sized neodyniums for trawling for shopping trolleys for scrap bringing them together and shattering their fingers and not being able get them apart again.

clump
    Free Member

Think that Winchester hospital might have one you can borrow, its not in A1 conditon though

http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/stories.htm?newsid=61306

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve got this image of a postman unable to get a package out of his van, ’cause its stuck to the floor

😆 +1

Kuco

Sea seacher is the make i’ve got, priced around £25

andyl
    Free Member

http://unitednuclear.com/

Lots of cool stuff on there.

konabunny
    Free Member

Acme do massive ones.

lol!

robido

i get mine down the kings head in a pint glass

vorlich
    Free Member

The local Infirmary?

redthunder
    Free Member

Lots of cool stuff on there.

What an attractive site 😉

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Do you have an old hard drive lying about. The magnets in hard drives are extremly strong. They are small though and don’t have a large field range. Once stuck on though they don’t let go.

*edit* btw hard drive magnets are neodymium I believe

Mowgli
    Free Member

Bought this for the river job:

web linky
    Will report back once I’ve found a steel girder to hang from to check the ‘130kg’ bit…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a large magnet?’ is closed to new replies.