Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Where the squirrel thread go ?
  • Kuco

?

Junkyard
    Free Member

pulled obviously OP request or mods alone who knows
    Did you have a plan for helping?

Jamie
    Free Member

It was treated like vermin and destroyed.

Gary_C

It’s been squirreled away…….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well it was meant as a serious question and to get some advice, but it seems people would rather act like knobs, so I gave up on it.

carlos
    Free Member

Maybe the neighbour saw it and bosh!!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Buried, ready for winter.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Like I told you, you cant trust squirrels!! 😛

crazy-legs

Well it was meant as a serious question and to get some advice, but it seems people would rather act like knobs, so I gave up on it.

On STW? Surely not? 😯

emsz
    Free Member

It’s Sunday Elf, what did you expect?

trailmonkey

the thread that flounced before the poster could

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hope they were ginger squirrels.

tinribz
    Free Member

The Law states that grey squirrels are ‘vermin’, and as such can be killed. Are there any conditions for this? Like, they are actually causing a health hazard or something? Cos they ain’t bothering me or anyone else.

No conditions, they are a health hazard and they will be systematically destroying the local woodland, that’s their job.

You’ve not mentioned trap types, while the Fenn type traps (springy large mousetrapy) are legal for fluffy tails their necks are a bit strong for them really. The only redress you have is to ensure he checks them twice a day and that they are covered (in a tunnel), and don’t catch cat’s legs etc.

Standard practice is to use cage traps and despatch in a sack humanly breaking their necks or gassing. Neither of which I’d recommend without some training. An airgun is the best method for amateurs, in a cage that is not shooting them out of trees etc. Stick the barrel in the cage and they’ll bite it making things straight forward.

Planning stuff like this can be fun but honestly can’t see him getting a kick out of it for long, despatching and disposing of dead animals gets old quite quickly.

And you’re right about them just breeding to replace ‘the fallen’.

Kuco

I was just going to say roughly the same, that they are vermin that cause a lot of damage to trees and structures.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

On STW? Surely not?

Yeah, who’d’ve thought it, eh? 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they are a health hazard

I fail to see how grey squirrels pose anymore of a risk to human health than hedgehogs, field mice, wood pigeons, or any other wild animals.

Still, I guess claiming they are a health hazard helps to maintain the general vilification of the species and the assertion that they are “vermin”.

I have no problem with attempts to irradiate grey squirrels. They are a threat to our indigenous red squirrels to which they spread a fatal disease, a threat to our bird species, and due to the lack of natural predators and high rate of reproduction, can be highly destructive. I have a problem with false claims and attempts to vilify any species with the use of highly emotive terms such as “health hazard” and “vermin” though.

MrNutt
    Free Member

shoot the eggs, thats real huntin’

kimbers

Mr butt
    metallica ref Im impresed

timber

No idea what the first thread was, but to me they are vermin, they debark/ring our trees, especially in the younger formative years, killing the dominant lead leaving us with crappy shaped trees and tops that wind-blow.

There are certainly many ways to kill them. Recently found out that drey shooting may have dormouse by-kill as they will nest in the base of them sometimes.

psychle
    Free Member

I have no problem with attempts to irradiate grey squirrels

Giant mutant killer vermin squirrels with who knows what super powers? I think I have a problem with that, as should you and all of the world, think of what they could do to a child’s face!?

yossarian
    Free Member

Ghey squirrels? Is that a typo or just sick racism?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If we irradicated (rather than blew away with an irradiation gun 😯 ) grey squirrels, would reds then repopulate to the extent that greys have. i.e. would we see them in parks, suburbs etc?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Darcy – Yes, but not to the same population density – twenty something years ago we used to see them in our school playground regularly, pretty much anywhere with a reasonable stretch of woodland, sad to say that no longer do we see them at my folks house, but the fightback has begun, and apparently the grey’s have now been fought back down to the Tyne.

Reds are fascinating, beautiful, charming creatures

Greys are a nutritious, healthy source of protein 😈

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think I have a problem with that, as should you and all of the world

It’s the only way to be sure………gamma radiation fired from portable gamma ray guns. Let’s not tackle the problem halfarsed.

would reds then repopulate to the extent that greys have. i.e. would we see them in parks, suburbs etc?

Well not in the south that’s for sure. Don’t know about northern parts though. Which makes for a boring future for southern dogs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I might have dreamt this, but wasn’t there supposed to be some marauding black Russian squirrels who were going to do to the Greys, what the Greys did to the Reds?

philconsequence
    Free Member

oh its always the black squirrels that get labelled as the bad guys! racist.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not only have they destroyed our population of reds, but the greys are rampant sexual deviants.

Underhill
    Free Member

It’s the only way to be sure………gamma radiation fired from portable gamma ray guns. Let’s not tackle the problem halfarsed.

Would islamic ray guns be too extreme then ernie?

Jamie
    Free Member

*throws elfin-like hissy fit*

LOOK! Stop with all the ‘HILARIOUS‘ pictures? Who posts pictures to make a stupid point anyways?!?!?!

Tell me about Black squirrels.

Bunch of knob heads.

Not kwality quality (I always spell propply properly when I am angry)!

trailmonkey

*throws elfin-like hissy fit*

elflouncesafety

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Would islamic ray guns be too extreme then ernie?

Oh dear, someone else who doesn’t fully understand technical terms……..it’s muslamic ray guns

And muslamic ray guns are used by muslamic infidels to force us to accept iraqi laws……it has nothing to do with squirrels tsk tsk 😐

philconsequence
    Free Member

😆

i’m right though, and you know it, here’s a picture of a flyover

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Greys are a nutritious, healthy source of protein

For some folk living on the Appalachian Mountains it’s the only source of protein.

Jamie
    Free Member

Will people stay on topic!

TELL ME ABOUT BLACK SQUIRRELS!

Bunch of knobs.

*le flounce*

philconsequence
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you want to know about black squirrels?

In the US they have lots of kinds of squirrel, some unique living in isolated temperate mountain islands in the desert. The most common kind seem to be black or brown, and are massive – the size of a pet rabbit it seems.

Weirdly, I’ve yet to see our kind of grey squirrel over there, despite them supposedly being an American import.

Re reds, in Finland they were hopping around in suburban parkland and landscaped areas much as the greys do here, but possibly in smaller numbers. They are a different subspecies though and much more browney and less pointy-eared, rather than the brick red vulcan kind we get in the UK.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got an obsession with tortoise hats…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Black squirrels are a genetic mutation from when they evolved camouflage to escape from Black Walnut mines.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hang on… the black squirrels? isnt that the group that forest gump speaks to before being thrust on stage to speak at the war demo, and the group that sean penn tells to become the zebras to double their membership in the assasination of richard nixon?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah screw the lot of you.

Why won’t no-one take me seriously?

…also, why do my irony detectors keep exploding?

🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯 🙄 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Where the squirrel thread go ?’ is closed to new replies.