Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where does one find – Tarmac 'Experts' (on the cheap)
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Right, not wishing to upset the PC brigade.

We have a section of drive way that needs tarmacing. Its only very small about 2x3m, and only needs to last 2-3 years until we can afford to get all the drive done properly.

My Father in Law got a knock on the door a few years back and some men with a white tipper transit did a very good deal, and a good job on his drive.

Where does one find such people. Do I go down to the local permanent council paid for caravan park and ask, or leave some shiny metal outside my house with a note attached?

Ta

Marin
    Free Member

Gravel it. One doesn’t want to be messing with pikeys does one?

crankboy
    Free Member

Your dads tarmac experts were probably from a proper legitimate road crew who had been working on a site or road any left over material is slung on the back of a van and opportunistically laid quickly and cheerfully to for any one who will take it . Not something you can organise in advance but if there is any major construction going on near you that is where you could ask around. Make it clear you want to take advantage of any that would be waste they have no authority or implied right to sell the stock.

we had a bunch prosecuted for fraud on the basis of over charging for rubbish work , they were travellers their clients pensioners. The expert evidence at trial was that their work was of above average standard and their prices were very competitive.

hatter

alanl
    Free Member

We have a lot around here.
    They must love their holidays, as they always have a caravan somewhere in the location.
    They dont only do tarmac, block paving is another speciality, as well as soffits and fascias.

Easy to find, they have 6 more caravans at one piece of derelict or council land, and can usually be identified by having white flatbed transits vans alongside their caravans.

They are all salt of the earth chaps who will guarantee their work, do a spectacular job, and never complain.

Or, google for a reputable company to do it?

ourmaninthenorth

Dig out ground. Concrete it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Buy a bag of Tarmac or three from a reputable DIY store and do it yourself. Needs a kettle full of boiling water iirc

cloudnine
    Free Member

The main contractor near where i live has all sorts of scams going.
    It generally involves billing the council for way more tarmac than they lay.. then doing driveways / lanes etc on the side for cash.
    Various bungs are also given to councillors and the officers in charge of determining which company wins local authority contracts.

RoterStern
    Free Member

PMSL @ hatter. 😀

palmer77
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but I have seen them here for £3k

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/tarmac-expert/33262/14tarmac

Trekster

The guys filling pot holes round your way will probably be contractors, stop & ask 💡

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where does one find – Tarmac 'Experts' (on the cheap)’ is closed to new replies.