Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • When is the best time to sell a 26" Five ?
  • roverpig

I guess this could be accused of being a for-sale post in disguise, but it’s not meant to be. It’s really a “should I sell and more importantly, if so, when should I sell?” post.

I’ve had my 26″ Five for a couple of years now and have really enjoyed it. But the simple fact is that it’s designed for riders who are more aggressive than I’ll ever be. It actually works surprisingly well as a general XC/Trail bike, but still, I’m lugging a fair bit of travel round that I’ll never use.

I recently tested a Segment and there is no doubt that (if I wanted to stick with Orange) this is a better option for me. Shorter travel with bigger wheels just makes sense to me. Bags of confidence (if you get the geometry right) but faster on the climbs and still with enough travel to cope with any drop I’d ever attempt.

On the other hand, selling the Five would be a real wrench. It is, after all, the quintessential British trail bike (even featuring in my son’s set of bike top trumps) and probably the finest British built 26″ trail bike there will ever be. I also love the neon orange colour (which they’ve stopped doing now). On a grey misty Scottish moor it is liking having your own sun!

Anyway, I can probably decide on the “whether” myself, it is the “when” that is puzzling me.

Initially I thought that it wouldn’t make any sense to try and sell it now, at the end of the season. Best to wait until the Spring when more folk are riding. But, on the other hand, it is the perfect option for somebody looking for a full-sus for winter duties (bombproof, simple single pivot, easy bearing changes etc).

Obviously I could just stick it up for sale and see what interest it generates, but that wont tell me whether the market would be any better next Spring.

So, what would you do ? Sell now, or wait for the Spring?

cokie

About 3 years ago..

Serious answer- I’m not sure there is good time sell 26” anymore. I’d just put it up at the price you want and wait. Possibly review and knock the price down every so often. The 5 has a solid following in the UK and lots of guys that buy the 5 will ride it year round so they’d buy still them now.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d accept that I probably won’t get what I think it’s worth and would put it up for sale now as cokie suggested – it’ll go eventually but it’s not going to get more appealing the longer you leave it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the other hand, selling the Five would be a real wrench. It is, after all, the quintessential British trail bike (even featuring in my son’s set of bike top trumps) and probably the finest British built 26″ trail bike there will ever be. I also love the neon orange colour (which they’ve stopped doing now). On a grey misty Scottish moor it is liking having your own sun!

It’s some bits of metal welded together that cost you some money.

Your much bigger problem is selling a 26″ bike, if it’s tapered, 30.9 then ASAP especially when some STW’s are still trying to hold on to the 26″ dream and own lots of wheels and forks.

nemesis
    Free Member

probably the finest British built 26″ trail bike there will ever be

I’ll restate, you’re not going to get what you clearly think it’s worth…

Stevelol
    Free Member

ASAP, the bum has fallen out of the 26″ market.

What size is it? A pal is looking for one but it must be L or XL.

br
    Free Member

If you are happy to loose a load of cash selling something that works fine, then anytime is a good time.

Otherwise, just ride it – and if the Segment gives you more confidence, then just get some training and learn to ride your Five.

Your much bigger problem is selling a 26″ bike, if it’s tapered, 30.9 then ASAP especially when some STW’s are still trying to hold on to the 26″ dream and own lots of wheels and forks.

That’ll be me 🙂

spower3
    Free Member

I’m just recovering from a week long case of ‘new bike fever’ which saw me advertise my 2013 26″ Five for sale. Put it on for £1250 which I thought, given the spec, was an absolute steal and would be snapped up within the afternoon before I got cold feet about it. After being low balled with some ridiculous offers (pinkbike), and still getting cold feet as to whether I really do want to sell my five, I’ve took it off and am keeping her.
    26″ ain’t dead in terms of having fun riding them, no way, but for trying to sell them on for anywhere close to what they were worth a couple of years ago they are. The Five has a strong following at least so it’s still plenty desirable in 26″

chakaping
    Free Member

Right now.

If you leave it closer to Xmas you’re screwed and 26″ bikes ain’t gonna be worth more next spring.

roverpig

It’s some bits of metal welded together that cost you some money.

And gave me some fantastic memories. OK, I accept that forming an emotional attachment to a bike is irrational, but I never pretended to be a purely rational creature 🙂

Tapered, 30.9 (kashima factory shock) and even a maxle rear end.

I can live with the depressed prices of 26″ frames as I bought the frame with a decent discount just after the 650B model was released. I just can’t be bothered with the hassle of repeated ads, dealing (politely) with people “trying it on”, haggling over a few quid etc. My usual approach to selling bike stuff is just to stick it on ebay with a £1 start, no reserve and let the market decide, which is why I’m trying to guess when the market is likely to be most receptive.

nemesis
    Free Member

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

roverpig

Otherwise, just ride it – and if the Segment gives you more confidence, then just get some training and learn to ride your Five.

It wasn’t the confidence that was the issue with the Segment. As you say, that’s down to skill/confidence. It was the fact that it went up hill much better (I like to climb) while not being any harder to ride down the other side. But it’s a fair point. Keeping the Five is still very much a viable option.

@Stevelol; it’s a Large (20″), but if I did sell I’d probably split it as there are some bits that I’d want to transfer over to the next bike (brakes, BB, bars etc).

markshires
    Free Member

What size is it?

roverpig

See post above 🙂

markshires
    Free Member

Lol got me! I could be interested, send me a message with what your actually selling after your split, and how much you are looking for? and if possible a couple of pics?

soobalias
    Free Member

My usual approach to selling bike stuff is just to stick it on ebay with a £1 start, no reserve and let the market decide

get on with it. if the simple question is will my bike fetch more if i sell it in early spring or now – the answer is that a 26″ bike will not be worth more in 6mths.

from the rest of your OP, you are the marketing departments wet dream

tomhoward

Ask Renton how to sell it for waaaay more than it’s worth. Normally it’s to post lots telling folk it’s worth ~20% more than it actually is. He’ll then find a local buyer (not on here) to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Kerching.

roverpig

Hmmm, I guess I need to make my mind up on the “whether” as now is probably as good a time as any to sell.

The “what” is easy: Frame, Forks (150mm Pike or 140mm Fox Factory RLC), Wheels (Hope/Flow Ex), various other bits if needed (e.g. hope stem, renthal bars, XT mechs etc).

I wont mention a price as that really is getting too close to a for-sale post in disguise (which really wasn’t the intent). But if anybody wants to make me an offer by PM I guess that would focus the mind 🙂

Posting pictures is probably going too far too, but I’ve uploaded enough shots of it on here over the years, so you can just check out my posts if you are really bored.

MoreCashThanDash

Do you have a 12 year old who might get use out of it?

Shocked to discover my lad now fits my bike – with the saddle down a bit. And loved trying it. Had I known that I’d have given it to him and got me something new when I had a bit of money, and we would both have been happy!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Split it – and sell the parts on eBay. The high prices I’m seeing 26″ Five frames still going for on eBay at the moment – are ridiculous.

I keep thinking I’ll be able to upgrade my straight steerer, non-maxle 2008 Five frame in Apple Green – for something similar in taper-maxle version, but these frames are still commanding high prices on t’ bay.

roverpig

Split it – and sell the parts on eBay. The high prices I’m seeing 26″ Five frames still going for on eBay at the moment – are ridiculous.

Thanks, yes, that’s usually my preferred option. Partly, as you say, because the prices tend to be higher (enough to offset the fees in my experience). But mainly because it saves all that hassle and haggling.

A quick search on “sold listings” suggests that frames with tapered steerers and maxle rear ends are still going for around £600 even with the more basic evolution shock, which is more that I expected to be honest.

Looks like the 12 year old will have to be content with her Islabike for a bit longer 🙂

LeeW

There’s a guy on FB called Ross Readman who seems to sell a few of these through posting on the Cannock Chase trails pages. Might be worth trying there.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Fives and Alpines seem to be holding their price on Pinkbike compared to most other brands.

Stick it on there and see if you have any takers. I find it’s the best/fastest place to sell bikes. And if no one buys it then just keep using it for a while.

z1ppy

Sell it, sell it now, especially if there still worth something.. don’t end up with a garage full of old knackered 26ers… 😳

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I honestly don’t understand the consensus of folk on stw who say that 27.5″ are just a marketing fad and that they prefer their 26ers when in fact they fall into the trap of purchasing a new 27.5″ bike…?

Contradiction in terms right.

I’d like to think that 26ers definitely still have their place as they handle well and don’t feel too cumbersome.
    Plus what’s a slight increase in wheel size really have to offer for pity’s sake.

If it has a good spec and is desirable bike brand and model then it will demand good money when put up for sale.
    It all depends on if it was and still is a good bike to buy regardless of the wheel size at a guess.

I’d rather keep my 26er full suss pimped to the max then sell for a huge loss just because potential buyer was ummming and arrrghing over buying a new fad 27.5″ bike.

Oh and to answer your op question further on what time of year, late spring at a good guess.

Stevet1
    Free Member

especially when some STW’s are still trying to hold on to the 26″ dream

Yay! long love the dream!

jimob
    Free Member

I was in a similar position to you a few month’s ago. I advertised a 2013 26in Orange 5 on pinkbike and Hamsterley rider’s buy &sell Facebook page.
    I had a couple of inquiries but nothing firm so I just waited.
    It eventually sold for very close to my asking price by somebody who loved it on first inspection. He was a young lad who had always wanted his dream bike. I think it took him a long time to save up his money.
    My point being is that there is still a market for high end 26in bike’s and your’s will sell eventually. Mine took 4 months in the end.
    Good luck

jimob
    Free Member

Ooooppps sorry for the double post

core

I toyed with getting a five, swapping as much off my soul onto a frame to build one up on the cheap to try.

But tapered steerer versions are still fetching a premium, I didn’t see many below £600.

I don’t really get why people suddenly think they’re worthless, new 26″ wheels will be available aftermarket for a long time yet, the classifieds are full of bargain 26″ high end wheelsets. Plus you can just run a 650b fork if you have to, only slackening the bike by a whisker.

Straight steerer I could maybe understand a bit more, but they ain’t cheap neither!

NormalMan

Are you keeping the Solaris RP?

roverpig

Are you keeping the Solaris RP?

Yes, I think so. The Solaris has been a funny one. When I first got it I loved it, for about a month. Then it sat in the shed pretty much untouched for about six months as I rode the Five everywhere. It was fine, but the Five was always more fun. Then, on a whim (and because I was planning on selling it anyway), I stuck on a 35mm stem some flatter 740mm bars and dropped the tyre pressures down to 20psi and now I love it again. I’ll probably try some B+ wheels/tyres as soon as Cotic start selling them as it will be fun to go a bit lower pressure (or just the same with less chance of wrecking the rim on a water-bar) with a slightly lower BB.

Actually that’s the reason I’m contemplating selling the Five. I’ve fancied one of these “nu-skool” FS 29ers for ages, but don’t want three bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I honestly don’t understand the consensus of folk on stw who say that 27.5″ are just a marketing fad and that they prefer their 26ers when in fact they fall into the trap of purchasing a new 27.5″ bike…?

Contradiction in terms right.

It’s one thing to buy a new bike after being dazzled by marketing when you don’t need it. It’s another to have enough disposable income to change bikes every so often and buy a 27.5″ bike this time around. No contradiction, ride you 26″ till it’s dead (to you) then buy a newer bike.

There’s probably only a tiny market that would actually go out and buy a 26″ bike now. Even cotic of “26 ain’t dead” fame, have said their 26″ stock is their last.

I’d like to think that 26ers definitely still have their place as they handle well and don’t feel too cumbersome.
    Plus what’s a slight increase in wheel size really have to offer for pity’s sake.

It may/may not, saying 26″ isn’t cumbersome is about as big a misnomer as saying bigger wheels are, some were good, a lot were crap.

If it has a good spec and is desirable bike brand and model then it will demand good money when put up for sale.
    It all depends on if it was and still is a good bike to buy regardless of the wheel size at a guess.

Your guess is wrong, 26″ bikes are going for peanuts, you don’t need to guess, it’s a fact you can check. I was a gnats wisker off buying a lightly used TR250 with a propper top drawer spec (CCDB, kashima fox 180mm forks, etc, 2 years ago the forks probably cost more than the asking price.

I’d rather keep my 26er full suss pimped to the max then sell for a huge loss just because potential buyer was ummming and arrrghing over buying a new fad 27.5″ bike.

new yes, fad no, 650b seems to have become the default, like pneumatic tyres are a ‘fad’ compared to the solid rubber that preceded them.

Oh and to answer your op question further on what time of year, late spring at a good guess.

It’ll just be another 6 months old by then and worn out by a winter of muddy riding.

I don’t really get why people suddenly think they’re worthless

It’s not a thought, to a great extent they are (relative to the cost of a similar aged 650b/29er). I’ve lost a pile of cash selling mine (still haven’t bought a 650b though), and contemplated buying some others as they’re bargains!

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve had a spin on a few 275 bikes (Capra and Nukeproof Mega) and have been impressed with how fast they seem to be (the Mega was a battered Hire bike from Todico last summer) and I’m sold on the advantages of the bigger wheelsize, they rolled fast, and handled just like a 26 bike. But I currently have an Alline 160 with offset headset and shock mounts(64.5* head angle and low BB) and it rides and feels perfect for the Uphill/downhill ratio I do (prob 40/60) so I see no reason to swap it out. I can keep up with people on other wheel sizes and it handles like a dream.

I’d like to say I’m 26 for Life but if I’m honest when the time comes to change bikes it’ll have bigger wheels (it just won’t be for a long time.

Have spent the last 6 months looking for a bargain 160mm 26 bike for the brother in law and was surprised to find that anything decent was still holding it’s value. The same goes for wheels, tyres and forks(unless 1 -/8th steerers) so I think you should sell it now or keep it. The bottom hasn’t fallen out of the 2nd hand Orange market yet and unless someone starts flooding the market with 2nd hand 275 Fives you should be ok for a while.

Tom KP

NormalMan

Thanks RP.
    Just got the Cotic email to say the b+ wheels are in.

Not sure it’s something I’d try. Perhaps as I’ve been looking longingly at fat bikes 🙂

zer0cool
    Free Member

I think the Orange 5 is on of the least depreciating bikes around. Dont know what you think yours is worth or cost but decent ones still getting around £1200ish, maybe more depending on spec.

Loads of love for 26ers still, for what its worth I just got a 26 Anthem frame last week. Cant wait to finishing building and get it out there.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ll be looking at 26″ Fives in the coming months once I’ve decided which way I want to approach buying a new FS. But 26″ is definately not dead for me.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Finally something me and jonnytheliar agree on at last 😉

accu
    Free Member

to lighten it up a bit..
    just back from exploring trails in the alps… 🙂

gelert
    Free Member

I wanted a 26 inch Five as my “winter” bike and bought a 2013 final year Five S 17 inch from t’bay. This was in July (I watched bikes from April) and the market value for similar Five’s was £600 Frame only (no 17 inch ones came along, only 20 or 22) and around £1500 for full bikes with some people asking up to £2000 for them. To get a very good condition 2012/2013 maxle one with a dropper already fitted I was prepared to go to £1600. Felt like a bargain to me for such a capable and fun bike. Awesome thing. XC, Trail, Enduro, DH. It does it all. Love it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘When is the best time to sell a 26" Five ?’ is closed to new replies.