Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Le Tour – Stage 13 – Lucky For Some?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

*************Thanks for not picking too many holes in the daily threads but I’m heading off into the land of work and crappy internet after today so can somebody else step up tomorrow??********************************

This is a classic ‘transition’ stage. The definition is sometimes stretched to describe any hilly stage that is neither mountainous nor flat, but the true definition is of a stage which lies between France’s two main mountain ranges, the Pyrenees and the Alps.

A day for attackers
    At the beginning of the Tour de France in Utrecht, the Netherlands, sprinters debate over stage 13 from Muret to Rodez on whether they should consider it a day for them or not. Mark Cavendish made it clear that it wouldn’t be the case and he’d had to wait for either stage 15 to Valence or stage 21 to Paris to get a second opportunity to win after Fougères. There are two reasons for that. Firstly, the last third of the course is undulated. A hard racing would put the pure sprinters into trouble. In this case scenario, it would favor Peter Sagan over Cavendish and André Greipel. Secondly, it’s a typical day for attackers. Sprinters’ teams will be tired after three days in the mountains and some riders have very few chances to win this kind of so-called transition stage. Cannondale-Garmin is that category of teams that came with no sprinter and aren’t really concerned by the general classification anymore, so this is an opportunity for someone like Ramunas Navardauskas to repeat the great stage victory he picked at Bergerac last year.

A tired Peloton? Another day for the break?

Nothing too stressful out there is there?

Robert Millar’s View

“Out of the Pyrenean frying-pan and into the Tarn fire. We basically did the same route back in 84 and my overriding memory of that day was of legs hurting and my feet burning. It’s warm in the mountains but at least you cool down on the descents. Going inland from Toulouse it just gets hot, then hotter and as Rodez approaches stiflingly uncomfortable. Perfect stage for a breakaway and until one gets away no-one will be happy, though with the last 60km being of the up and down, in and out, melted tar variety it’s hard to say if it’s better to be in the front or hiding at the back.”

We shall see how much got left on the road in the last 2 days, Dan Martin looked spent from his solo efforts for second on stage 11 and the break was dropping the pretenders all the way to the end.
    The GC rivals are playing their game – well Sky are the rest are having a go before being swiped away. Some big efforts from Porte & Thomas off the front to deal with the early attacks then leave Froome feeling fresh. Time in the bank a very very valuable commodity.

Wild stab in the dark says a break to stay out and bunch finish for the GC, probably or someone making a Win or Die move, or maybe just a breather with the Alps looming.

Think this guy will just enjoy the feeling of the win

Think this is a smile

Everyone loves it when Froome finds another gear

When will he break?

The slightest hint of fatigue?

1. GB RFROOME Christopher 31 TEAM SKY 46h 50′ 32”
    2. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay 61 BMC RACING TEAM 46h 53′ 24” + 02′ 52”
    3. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander 51 MOVISTAR TEAM 46h 53′ 41” + 03′ 09”
    4. ESP VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro 59 MOVISTAR TEAM 46h 54′ 30” + 03′ 58”
    5. GBR THOMAS Geraint 39 TEAM SKY 46h 54′ 35” + 04′ 03”
    6. ESP CONTADOR Alberto 41 TINKOFF-SAXO 46h 54′ 36” + 04′ 04”
    7. NED GESINK Robert 131 TEAM LOTTO NL – JUMBO 46h 56′ 04” + 05′ 32”
    8. FRA GALLOPIN Tony 71 LOTTO-SOUDAL 46h 58′ 04” + 07′ 32”
    9. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo 1 ASTANA PRO TEAM 46h 58′ 19” + 07′ 47”
    10. NED MOLLEMA Bauke 141 TREK FACTORY RACING 46h 58′ 34” + 08′ 02”
    11. FRA BARGUIL WARREN 82 TEAM GIANT-ALPECIN 47h 00′ 15” + 09′ 43”
    12. SUI FRANK Mathias 181 IAM CYCLING 47h 02′ 57” + 12′ 25”
    13. ESP SANCHEZ Samuel 66 BMC RACING TEAM 47h 03′ 25” + 12′ 53”
    14. DEN FUGLSANG Jakob 3 ASTANA PRO TEAM 47h 04′ 05” + 13′ 33”
    15. ESP RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joachim 91 TEAM KATUSHA 47h 04′ 17” + 13′ 45”

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

What a picture!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent threads Sir, huge thanks for doing this. Enjoy work for a change 😆

My predictions will follow in a little while but you can imagine what they will consist of can’t you… 🙄

whitestone
    Free Member

Surely the caption for that shot should be: “GC contenders looking at Chris Froome’s stem” 😀

mj27
    Free Member

Gee was amazing yesterday, he just kept coming back to the front after every attack. Porte set them up nicely aswell and that picture shows the pain he was dishing out.

Why do I get so much pleasure in seeing Bertie in trouble?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

superb tour this year . are we seeing the effects of anti doping culture, all seems beleivable to me-nobody is really able to stand out with amazing nonchalant efforts that we used to see-the doubters will always exist, same as the moon landing and flat earthers–

lunge

Thank you again Mike for your threads, I can’t do the weekend ones but happy to step up from Monday onwards unless someone else volunteers.

G was a beast yesterday, I’m guessing the Sky will hope for a rest today and I think they may get one. This to me is a Sagan stage on paper but I don’t think he’ll have it all his own way, particularly if Saxo still want to protect Bertie to some degree. This means I am looking to teams with little or no GC interest today, and perhaps teams with something to prove, Orica-GreenEdge and Etixx-Quick Step are the 2 that spring to mind, though the former may well be waiting to deploy a Yates in the Alps.

So, my prediction is:
    No change on GC though Valverde will try something, he always does.
    Zden?k Štybar for the stage win, he’ll go off the front in a small group towards the end of the stage after the early break has been reeled on.

And, because we’ve not had a pic of him for a day or 2, here’s Sagan.

matt_outandabout

The caption for that picture is a little more “you ******** ” 😆

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m not sure G appreciated Froome’s attack yesterday and Richie’s turn at the front was relatively short which, considering the performance of the other climbers, is a bit of a concern.

I think Froome is going to lose time now as the team struggles to keep a lid on the attacks. Movistar tried the old 1 – 2 a couple of times and although yesterday wasn’t the day I can see it working at some point soon.

Degenkolb for the win today.

nbt

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good work on the threads. Afraid I’ll be in a tent the next couple of days so I can’t help out.

Today I’m going for the break again. The second half of the stage will be way harder than it looks on paper. Should be a beautiful stage too.

nickc

great threads Mike, well done.

Today has mad breakaway written all over it 😆 My vote goes to a certain Frenchman in dark green. Is he still the housewife’s favourite?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Everyone seemes to be assuming that Froome was on the edge yesterday and it was only Porte and G that saved him but he seemed well capable of covering the latter attacks from Quinatana and Valverde on his own. He also got some stick for his attack leaving G but I’m sure he would have got even more flak for just sitting behind him to the top and being “boring”. The backstabbers will take any opportunity…

I have been very impressed with the way Nibali has kept going despite his snub from that cock Vinokourov who has shown time and again what an adept and shrewd DS he isn’t. Contador also had a little try yesterday as well which was encouraging for the race even if it was ultimately futile. Quintana just showed he has nothing much to offer and I can’t see him ever breaking the Froome tow in the Alps either.

Today looks like one of those “nothing” transition stages so after yesterday’s “anything could happen but ultimately nothing much did” it will probably all kick off. Maybe we’ll see Cav making some effort to get over the smaller climbs and be in with a shout at the death and prove all his “can’t sprint an uphill finish” doubters wrong!

DanW
    Free Member

Another thanks for the threads Mike!

Lets see what today’s action turns up 😀

oldejeans
    Free Member

Thanks MWS

and that pic is just immense.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Riiiightyho..

A break (no surprise there then) 😆
    Kruj’sie FTW (no surprise there then) 😆
    Bretagne Sache’ and Europcar in the break (no surprise there then) 😆
    Orica on the front (a bit of a surprise there then) 😆
    Giant t’ing up Dek (no surprise there then) 😆
    CG “famous five” go shopping 😆
    It’s going to be a bit warm (no surprise there then)
    Sammi Sanchez to appear in front of the camera to show he’s actually riding this year (huge surprise there then) 😆

Roll on 11am…

scaredypants

Orica on the front (a bit of a surprise there then)

agree – they really need some good news too

(if anyone’s got the legs)

scandal42
    Free Member

Are Sky only using 3 riders this year? Where are the others? Not capable?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Are Sky only using 3 riders this year? Where are the others? Not capable?

err -are you paying attention or just watching highlights or trying to troll…?

DanW
    Free Member

Saw this on another thread 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

err -are you paying attention or just watching highlights or trying to troll…?

I’m afraid I’m one of those insufferable **** who has a job and is only able to catch the highlights, I did consider handing my notice in just for the TDF in a bid not to annoy anyone but the gas bill was due.

Apologies

lemonysam
    Free Member

They tend to work hard earlier in the stage protecting Froome, G and Porte on the flat so that they are fresh when/if the heat gets turned up. It’s a job they’ve done spectacularly better this year than any of the other teams who’ve all tended to burn through their domestiques and leave their leaders isolated.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers

The highlights only ever show the final 20k or so and make no reference to what has gone on earlier in the stage.

I thought this would be the case.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

G was awesome yesterday. Let the attacks happen and just kept his brutal pace and slowly drew them all back in. Even when Froome put an attack in (why not every other GC had!) he just kept his pace and rode past on to the front and carried on his duty again. Total respect, awesome rider.

Def a break away again, hopefully with little Tommy V in it for entertainment, he’s always chance his hand and turn himself inside out.

lemonysam
    Free Member

They tend to work hard earlier in the stage protecting Froome, G and Porte on the flat so that they are fresh when/if the heat gets turned up.

Just re read that, by “on the flat” I really mean “in the earlier parts of the stage”. Yesterday for instance, that included a few bits that weren’t very flat…

mrchrispy

Is it me or does G have a touch of the Rob Brydon going on?

speckledbob
    Free Member

Great stage yesterday particularly the final climb. It was good to see Pino and Nibali in the yellow jersey group at the end and Contador and Quintana put some attacks in. Proof to me at least that the tour is far from over. Froome could easily loose 3 or 4 minutes if he has a bad day and as we know Contador is generally very good over three weeks.

Froome always looks like he’s suffering to me. He didn’t seem as strong yesterday but was able to answer all the attacks against him so certainly not showing any real weakness yet.

TJ Van Garderen has a creapy way of quietly being there without attracting too much attention and is having a great tour. Hope he can make it through the Alps ok. But G Thomas reigns supreme for me. What a rider.

As for today who knows. Surely it’ll be won from a break. Hope it’s Sagan though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ Both Welsh

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Guesses for breakaway: Danny Oss (bored of working for TvG and let off the leash), TV Tommy (contractually obliged to get his gurning face all across French telly), Bretagne fella (of course), Devolder (Trek having quiet time of it), Navarduaskas (came home in the laughing group yesterday 36 mins down -saving himself for today?). Maybe Thomas De Gendt?

It’s a good day to hoover up some cheap polka dot jersey points so expect to see someone like Pauwells or Barta up there again.

Leaders on glass pedals I think.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I think what yesterday proved more than anything was that Froome got handed a massive slice of good fortune on La Pierre Saint Martin. Movistar screwed up and the other GC guys had off days. Yesterday you couldn’t get a fag paper between them even though Froome had the better support. There’s hope yet for everyone from Gesink up.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I like Froome’s bike today:

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tom de Gendt, good call! So too Danny Oss…

I’m slipping, must try harder 😕

lemonysam
    Free Member

Just seen the weather. 35 degrees all day, no cloud and bugger all wind. Could be a few drop outs from those already feeling under the weather.

mark90
    Free Member

^ Both Welsh

Limited gene pool init 😉

everyone
    Free Member

I’m guessing that the longer he’s in the yellow jumper the more yellow his bike will get. Presumably if he makes it all the way to Paris they’ll stick him in a bananas in pyjamas costume just for giggles.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

De Gendt in the break! No-one of else any real threat so I expect this might stick with others joining after being ‘filtered’ off the front by the GC guys.

crazy-legs

I’m guessing that the longer he’s in the yellow jumper the more yellow his bike will get. Presumably if he makes it all the way to Paris they’ll stick him in a bananas in pyjamas costume just for giggles.

Yes, when Wiggins won, his bike got more and more yellow as the race went on. Nice touch.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

sorry scandal–thought you were being mischevious -this is stw–highlights on climbing days do tend to show the money shots as it were –the team all work hard ,the last three on the climbs are , ….the climbers…but G is for me the outstanding rider of the tour,been up there all the time –doesnt accelerate rapidly, just keeps the high tempo–glad he has adapted so well from track –a world champion –to hopefully a world champion grand tour soon …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well the breaks got in it:
    De Gendt, Geneiz, Haas, Perichon (BretSac) 😀 , Kelderman, Gautier and 2mins 30odd..
    This might just stick … if….?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just had a short with Adam Hansen shoeing his custom shoes he makes,

his cleat almost looked mid foot

http://hanseeno.myshopify.com/collections/shoes/products/u100g-shoes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour – Stage 13 – Lucky For Some?’ is closed to new replies.