Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • When buying second hand…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

…do you ask about the history/background of what you’re purchasing?

hora
    Free Member

Yes, I still ask what forks were on the frame, what their buying etc. They could lie of course.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

….as in you don’t want to ask ’cause you don’t want to know/might not be from a ‘legitimate’ source, but it’s cheap?

wwaswas

depends on who it is selling and what it is.

been caught out a couple of times with hubs/freehubs so I’d probably be a lot more careful about what ‘running smoothly’ means now.

hora
    Free Member

On forks. If I read ‘doesnt need a service/very smooth’ I know it normally means ‘grouchy and needs a service but it polishes up clean so I’ll try it on’…

The funniest ones are ‘TF tuned’. Yes when were they tuned again? The answer always seems to be ’18months+ ago’ 😆

nuke

Depends on the item and the seller…forks, adjustable seatposts, frames I definitely would ask. Things like stems, seatposts etc probably not as much and the photos will generally be all that’s required

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ok what about this:

palliative.stare – Member
    I worked with quite a few drug users who nick bikes, as had been mentioned, most were just the bottom of the chain so would sell them on for anything from £20 – £150 as they just need the money.

One lad who knew what he was was looking for in a bike, grabbed a carbon scott fs with full xtr and let it go for £100 as he was just desperate for the cash for the drugs. He was genuinely quite aggreived that the guy he sold it to kept the price low as he could see he was on the rattle, I did point out the chap he stole it off may also be a bit less than happy, but the conversation didn’t get that far after that. from here

Strikes me that if you are not prepared to investigate the origin of the parts that you’re getting for a bargain, you are as guilty as the lad who nicked the Scott,

you’re denying the original owners rights to the property for your own gain.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Go on then, do I win a prize as closest to the mark?? 😆

It’s been a slow day……

MrNutt
    Free Member

sure, just gotta pick it up, got it for a bargain from a bloke down the pub, you’ll love it! 😀

DrP

She’s 14.
    She doesn’t love you long time.
    And although she’s smiling – inside she’s crying.

Do the right thing – send her back.

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

you’re alive!!! DrP have you managed to get any sleep yet?

And I should point out that the bloke in the pub assures me that she is of legal marrying age in the country of origin and any problems can be sorted by big Jon at the end of the bar. That said it aint my problem any more as the cab should be pulling up outside bistolbikers squat right about now, I hope he’s got cash at home! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘When buying second hand…’ is closed to new replies.