• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wheels, forks and C_G "logic" …
  • cinnamon_girl

I have donned my bullet-proof vest so feel free to aim at me 😉

OK, I had two bikes both with Hope Pro 3 wheels. I am not going to justify why I need more than one bike! This worked really well, particularly when I had an off, smashed the front wheel and it had to be rebuilt. Simple, just switch the wheel. If I get a puncture, just switch the wheel. What's not to like?

I will be getting some thru-axle forks so wheel will need to be adapted. But this means I don't have a duplicate wheel.

So … two options I guess are either to get two extra front wheels – one for normal QR and one for thru-axle. Or replace forks on other bike to thru-axle.

Anyone else been in this situation? Or am I being a PITA? I just don't want to be without whatever bike I actually choose to use on a particular day.

Of course I am now wondering if anyone knows what the hell I am talking about but, rest assured, I haven't completely lost the plot ….. yet 🙄

Thank you so much 🙂

DrP

Can't you convert the hopes to bolt through?
    Simples – just keep the QR kit too!

DrP

neilb67
    Free Member

20mm bolt through Hopes come with adapters to use with QR's.

13thfloormonk

I thought that hope adaptors were tools free, or at least very simple (a circlip holding a machined piece of metal in place or something)

If you're lucky you'll have a set of wheels that it takes you five minutes max to swap over.

I'm taking that from the era of Bulbs and XCs though, don't know what Pro 3s are like.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. One Hope will be converted for new fork but other bike can't be cos forks take QR. I want to switch wheels without faffing.

steve_b77
    Free Member

There's really not much faffing involved with swapping hope adapters, at worst a pair of pliers and 10 minutes max.

You may well either have too much spare cash or not enough inclination (spelling?) to do something very simple indeed

neilb67
    Free Member

Get a bolt through hub for the new forks then if you need to use it on the QR forks just push in the adaptors to the bolt through wheel and then use it in the QR forks….

singlespeedstu

There is no faff involved in changing from QR to bolt through.

It takes seconds to change the adaptors over.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This is madness!

If i ever get a puncture I just replace the inner tube, takes about 5 minutes. Also, how often do you smash a front wheel so its unusable?

Why not just get the 20mm kit for one wheel and learn how to fix punctures, if you do break the wheel then jsut swap the conversion kit onto the new wheel.

Or dont bother with bolth through forks

neilb67
    Free Member

leeson
    Free Member

does seem like an expensive way out of fixing a puncture lols

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

learn to fix punctures/swap adapters over and buy me some new wheels (king on 29er archs please). that way we both win.

cinnamon_girl

You may well either have too much spare cash or not enough inclination (spelling?) to do something very simple indeed

You are spot on with not enough inclination!

This is madness!

I know! Can you feel my pain?

Seriously, thanks all for putting me in the picture re how long it would take to do. That has certainly reassured me and the video clip will indeed help.

But I can't let you all think that I am unable to fix a puncture! I never said that, you just assumed!

Have no practical skills whatsoever. In fact I have been to known to phone my lbs when out on a trail and say "xyz has just happened, how can I fix it/bodge it?".

I would rather be pouring over maps planning the route for the next group ride 8)

Have also be known to change tyres like my socks but shall refrain from mentioning tubeless!

damion
    Free Member

One thing that crossed my mind with this thread and the lack of inclination: have you thought about the faff involved with taking out a bolt thru wheel?

Just playing devils advocate. Your logic's sound otherwise. Wish I was able to make switching bikes that easy. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

damion – I have been reliably informed that you can do it one-handed with a Fox fork. Sounds good to me!

Well, I could of course have asked for advice on dealing with bike number 3 but rather suspect I would get shot to pieces 😯

igm

Easy – buy two new spare bikes. that way if anything is wrong on the bike you were going to use swap it for exactly the same bike.

Or is that overkill?

Fair enough – I was leaving anyway…

cinnamon_girl

You can never have too many bikes igm!

damion
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

You can never have too many bikes igm!

Straight from the mouth of my wife, she's currently +1 on me, which I'm trying to fix as we speak.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The state of that front wheel you rode on the other month, I'd get a few spare ones you wrecker! Switching from 20mm to qr takes seconds with my crossmax's, i'd have thought hope would be equally simple.

Still riding xmas day?

Anthony
    Free Member

Pro3 XC3 or AM4?

I presume you know this, but you may be limited to a 15mm thru-axle as the XC3 can't be converted to 20mm.

The 15mm adapter in my Pro3 XC3's were a seriously snug fit, and required pressing in. I don't imagine for one minute they will simply pull out by hand which may involve a little faffing as there is little to nothing to get a drift to locate against.

cinnamon_girl

rusty – just glad I didn't play in those bombholes!! I may now be "compromising" on Xmas Day but definitely will be on Boxing Day!!

Anthony – oooh, thanks for pointing that out. Just had a quick look at the Hope website, I think they are XC3's. So presumably you would not want to be doing that on a semi-regular basis then?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I might be up for a boxing day jaunt if i don't visit the in-laws. Mainly depends on if the bike is with me or not.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Swapping the adaptors is easy on the Pro2 hubs, just remove a circlip per side with needlenose pliers or screwdriver then change the end caps. No experience with Pro3 though. The XC3 has odd 3 bolt rotors which would differentiate them easily.

Eventually you will get new bolt thru forks for the other bike. Problem solved 🙂

Anthony
    Free Member

I wouldn't, no. To be honest I'm a bit worried about getting mine out come bearing change time. I tried to push them in by hand (the AM4 has an o-ring on the caps but the XC3 doesn't; it's just an interference fit), but couldn't so greased them up and they then very easily tapped in with a soft mallet.

Getting them out will be exactly like a headset cup. There is no more than 2mm of soft aluminium to whack with a drift. I did think about making a tool indentical to a headset cup remover out of 15mm copper pipe.

igm

Or wooden dowel? That's what I use to avoid damaging things when I tap them back out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wheels, forks and C_G "logic" …’ is closed to new replies.