Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wheels
  • zokes
    Free Member

I’m in a position where I need a new wheelset. I’ve always fancied a pair of Mavic Crossmax SLRs, and can afford them. However, especially as CRC et al claim that they can’t deliver Mavic outside the EU (although there is some evidence that they do), I’m also happy to consider other ideas.

So, what would people suggest? Crosmax-ish spec and price.

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

What kind of riding? Assuming XC racing if youre looking at SLR’s?

You can get better, for cheaper, by going the custom route. Hubs of your choice on Stan’s Crests, or even Alpines if you’re light, 32 DT Revolutions per wheel, prolock nipples, and run them tubeless.

Even with Chris King hubs, that lot should be cheaper than SLR’s… With Stans own hubs, they would be significantly cheaper, and lighter, than the SLR’s too!

zokes
    Free Member

Not racing really, just in a position where I can afford a very good wheelset, so can take ‘light’ and ‘strong’ from the ‘choose two from cheap, light, strong’ option.

Have been looking at weights, and the SLRs come in about 60g lighter than hope3/crest, and CK/crest. I’m a little dubious about my weight (13st) on those 340g crest rims too – how strong are they? I know Crossmax are ridiculously strong for their weights (or at least used to be)

Definitely want to go the UST route, as the Crosslands (currently expired) on my bike have been a revelation there. Stuck with mail order as parts in Oz are hideously expensive, and I effectively get another 20% off by not having to pay VAT being outside the EU

langy
    Free Member

you got home okay then…

hows about XTR trails? haven’t looked at any comparitive spec, just thoughts…

langy
    Free Member

oh, and if you go CRC, let me know; need a few bits (brake pads, etc), but skip the postage.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’m heavier than 13 stones and I have crests! No Problems!

njee20
    Free Member

DT 240s on Crests or Alpines, with Comps, Super Comps or Revs depending on how light you want to go.

What’s Mavic service like in Oz? IMO they’re not particularly reliable, and parts availability was a massive issue in the UK until recently. I know people who waited 6 months for spokes!

CaptainSlow

Have you considered Fulcrum?

I’ve been using red metal 1s since 07 and am very happy with them.

Edit: just seen the oz thing. Either order a box of spokes to keep as spares or go with the DT240s.

njee20
    Free Member

4 boxes of spokes, you never know which ones will break…

Why do people buy factory wheels again?!

bobalong
    Free Member

I’ve had mavic ST’s, Roval SL’s and have now got DT 240’s with the ratchet upgrade built into stans Alpine with black SuperComp spokes. It’s the best Wheelset ive had and at 1450g one of the lightest too.

The mavic hubs are nothing special and the spokes/rims are a pain to get hold of.

Personally, id go custom build from JRA or your local bike shop.

njee20
    Free Member

The Mavic hubs are totally unchanged in 15 years and still have a bush in the freehub body which wears out.

Northwind

Are there any compelling reasons to go with Mavic wheels? There seem to be quite a few reasons not to. The rear hub in mine is ridiculously overcomplicated and parts are hard to find, and the performance is just meh at best anyway.

Personally I’d go for another DT240 rear if money allowed, another Pro 2 if money didn’t, attached to the Stans rim that fits your bill best with the most suitable spokes.

itsup
    Free Member

From Rosebikes…

DT Revolution spokes cannot be used with DT Pro lock nipples!

zokes
    Free Member

So…

Not the Mavics then.

Next question, as I can afford the CKs (and I’ll get my own back on Langy for his bloody noisy Hope), is there a reason why I should go for the DT240s (or others) instead?

bobalong
    Free Member

DT’s over CK’s, that’s a tricky one!

DT are lighter and much easier to maintain, but even with the ratchet upgrade only 36t pick up. The coating is not that great if you use them all year and they look a little basic.

CK hubs are very pretty and remain looking good due to the anodised coating. They are strong and have amazing pick up. The need regular maintenance and special tools.

I’ve had both and have stuck with DT.

zokes
    Free Member

No No No DAMMIT!

Firstly you convince me that the funky factory builds are shonky, and now you’re telling me that the shiny buzzy bits that are supposed to be the best and last forever actually aren’t as good as some less shiny clicky bits.

STW – why have you become so sensible???

mboy
    Free Member

STW – why have you become so sensible???

Cos riding bikes is better than maintaining them constantly!

At 13 stone, don’t worry about Stan’s Crest rims. I’m 12.5 stone, and run the older 355’s, and I don’t exactly go easy on them. They’re fine! Much stronger than a rim as light as it is has a right to be.

Go for the DT hubs (they’re ace, I’ve got a pair too), Stan’s Crest rims, 32 DT Super Comps per wheel, and run em tubeless. Should be about the same weight wise as the SLR’s, but MUCH nicer hubs and you can get spare spokes from pretty much any bike shop!

OR… Save yourself a truckload of cash, buy Hope’s on Crests, and put the money you’ve saved towards saving weight elsewhere as the weight of the hubs (and Hopes aren’t heavy anyway) is nigh on inconsequential compared to the weight of the rims and tyres…

njee20
    Free Member

My order of preference would be:

DT240
    Hope
    Chris King (a distant 3rd)

If weight’s a big factor I’d toss AM Classic into the mix too.

Wouldn’t bother with Pro Lock nips. Just get standard DT, brass if you want durable, alu if you want light.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Have a serious look at American Classic. Really impressive and lots of patents: they work very very well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wheels’ is closed to new replies.