Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wheelbuilding – how hard?
  • woodey
    Free Member

I have been thinking about starting to build / true my own wheels for quite a while and I think it is about time to give it a go. However, before I take the plunge I wanted to gauge opinion from you lot how hard it realy is.

As a reasonably competent bike mechanic (but cetainly not advanced) I wondered how achieveable building good strong wheels is?

I was planning on using the wheelpro online book..

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

It’s not really that difficult – just get decent instructions (as per your suggestion) and follow it, taking your time. The best thing is that unless you massively tighten anything (which is unlikley if you have the slightest clue about what you’re doing) then even worst case, you can take it all apart and start again or hand it to your lbs to do.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wheelpro book is ace. buy it and read it before entering into building. (under a tenner) If you can’t grasp the book then give up!!

I have laced one or two wheels, just collecting stuff to build my first proper wheel – the book is ace.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive just downloaded the Wheelpro book, covers everything it seems- even UST rims which is what I’ll be using. Hard bit seems building the jig…

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t NEED a jig – a frame/fork with an allen key bluetac’d on is perfectly good. A jig is just more convenient.

woodey
    Free Member

cheers chaps, off to buy the book

29erKeith
    Free Member

I bought the WheelPro last week,
    Built my jig at the weekend

I’m looking forward to parts arriving so I can hand building and rebuild
    my own wheels

cynic-al
    Free Member

Soem fol “getit” some folk just can’t.

IMO the tough bit is getting it true and round – if you can true a wheel you can manage this. Lacing can confuse you if you don’t follow instructions.

Give it a go if you feel you can do it. Use the proper lube on spoke threads and nipples.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, I bought the Wheelpro book, which I found really handy because I had to measure my hubs and rims (unknown dimensions). It took me about 1 1/4 per wheel, start to finish and they never creaked, pinged or ‘bedded in’ and are still jst as good as I built them, which was to within about 0.5mm in every direction. I have bee truing my own wheels since about 1992, though, so I found it pretty easy.

Just go steady and you’ll be fine
    🙂

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I recently transplanted a hub and spokes to a new rim – now I’m not the most practically focused person in the world – but following the instructions off Sheldon Browns site and some good advice of here – managed to get the wheel nice and true – some 3 months on an a couple of hundred miles the wheels still round

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.