Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel choice
  • jruk
    Free Member

I’m after a new set of wheels and have narrowed it down to those below. Bearing in mind a budget of ~£200 and that I want something that’s more XC than DH but want a rim that will take a 2.35 tyre and my ~100kg, what do you lot think? Oh, I’ll be running a 15mm axle up the front.

a) XT hubs, Mavic XM719 disc, DT db spokes – from Merlin
    b) Mavic Crossride 2012
    c) Superstar Switch Evos, Mavic XM719 disc, db spoke – from SS

I like the idea of cartridge bearings but doubt SS service and have read that the Mavic’s can be a bit flexy (which kind of ruins the point of a 15mm axle),

jonba
    Free Member

If it was my money out of the choice I’d go for Superstar. I’ve heard mavic can be expensive for spare parts. I’ve never had a shimano hub off road that has lasted. Either lack of maintenance causing failure of the main hub bearings or the freehub giving up.

Have you had a look through Merlin, on-one and CRC sale section? On-one had plenty of stuff that might be suitable.

I know you’ve set your budget but could you find another £80 you could get hoops with either crest of flow rims from progressive cycles

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/department/wheels/

That gives you hope hubs (reliable, serviceable, customer support and adaptability). At your weight and the thicker tyres I’d go for the flows. They’re not massively more heavy than the 719 and open up tubeless options more easily.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My money would go for “a”. I’ve used Shimano hubs for years with no problems as do many, many people.

Hope hubs have soft ally free hubs which mean the cassette chews in to them and you can’t get the cassette off unless you use XT level cassettes with a carrier. Superstar may be OK, but who knows if they will still be around in 5 years time when you want spares. Shimano just need 1/4″ steel balls which you can get anywhere for 50p

Mavic look bling for the money but are heavy for the price and use their own spokes which can be expensive and hard to get hold of.

Kryton57

There’s some Sun Ringle black flag experts on CRC for £229. Choice of front axles sizes in the box and they run on cartridge bearings.

monkeyboyjc

a) XT hubs, Mavic XM719 disc, DT db spokes – from Merlin

i’ve run these with no probems for about 2/3 years.
    i’d stay away from mavic – heard a few scare stories of teh cheaper mavic stuff.

jruk
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, those black flags look pretty tasty. Will add them to the new bike shopping list 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano for spares availability.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel choice’ is closed to new replies.