Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Wheel Building with Stans Crest Rims
  • younggeoff

Hi, read somewhere that when building Stans Rims you can't build them as tight as Mavic rims, anyone got any more information / experience that they can share.

Cheers, Geoff.

convert

They do react badly to too much spoke tension, especially if it is uneven.

I've built a load of wheels over the last 5 or 6 wheel for my bikes (road & mtb) and friends, but until last weekend didn't own a spoke tension meter. I bought one for a job at work and can't believe the difference it makes, especially with Stans rims. I had previously built up a pair of 355s and was not that happy with them. They pringled really badly on my first attempt when I over tightened them. They were fine the second time, but had gone more out of true than I would expect after the first 200 miles or so. Taking a tension meter to them this weekend I can see why, as the tensions between spokes was 15-20% in variation and the overall tension was higher than recommended. Taking the time do it properly with a meter made so much difference and they came up true with so little effort.The just riding along shop website has some good info and recommend no more than 5-10% variation between spoke tensions. Now having a tension meter I now realise how little that is – a lot less than a quarter turn of a nipple, and no noticeable difference in note when you pluck the spoke.

Another thing I would really recommend with Stans is to oil the spoke holes and nipples well before building up. They have no eyelets and I found without them being well oiled it was hard to destress the spokes as you build up the tension, resulting in a lot of creaking and cracking in the first couple of hundred yards of riding and the tensions going all over the place again.

younggeoff

Cheers for the info, I've got a park tension meter, got opne sheap and out of interest checked all the wheels I'd built and was pleasantly suprised to find they all had the same spoke tension and the wheels were all within 5%.Guess I was lucky that the guy that taught me to build wheels was a stickler for balanced spoke tensions and it seems to have stuck. I always oil the the spoke threads and holes when building too 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Building with Stans Crest Rims’ is closed to new replies.