Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • wheel building.
  • martymac

opinions please,
    is a 2x lacing pattern strong enough for light xc/commuting,
    i will be using a disc brake, rear wheel.
    im a heavy rider, but smooth, not a klutz or anything.
    reason im asking, fancy a revolver rear hub, but my current spokes are a bit short for 3x, however they will be perfect if i go 2x.
    ive never used 2x, and have no experience of them.
    ive never wrecked a wheel, wore a few out though.

0range5

I had a set of lightweight MTB 2x wheels years back that I rebuilt myself to correct a not so good shop build. It was the first set I built actually. I had no problems with them & used them on with a couple of fully rigid frames ridden hard. They’re still on a bike a friend now rides. But, they are built for rim brakes where you don’t need to worry about stress on the spokes from from braking. Where I’ve seen hub manufacturers give advice on disc hubs they generally say 3x as it copes with braking forces. I would be inclined to think you might get away with 2x but have never tried it with disc brakes. I wouldn’t bother myself as I don’t want to find out the hard way if it’s a bad idea! If you’re determined to go ahead I’d first wait for someone who’s tried & tested it to respond.

Someone might disagree, but as far as I’m aware 2x in itself isn’t necessarily a weaker build but for disc brakes it won’t be as good. The other thing though is that due to the more vertical angle the spokes will be pulling on less metal on the hub flange on a 2x build than with 3x, so there’s slightly more chance of cracking a hub flange. I’d not think there would be much in this though, like I say the set I had are still going strong after almost 20 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wood.

I used 2x on a non disc front fine. Accelerating forces are greater on a rear wheel than braking forces.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    digipham
    Free Member

Well, I think you must use the quality one. Mean buy the high quality one, or it can be easy to meet accident.

martymac

ile be using it almost exclusively with a thin road tyre as im getting a full susser for offroad, so i think ile go for it.
    thanks for your response tho, puts my mind at ease a bit.
    marty.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘wheel building.’ is closed to new replies.